116. We have learned that "And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats." "Aaron shall cast," WHY ONLY AARON? Because he stems from the aspect of Chesed, AND THUS IS ABLE TO PERFECT MALCHUT WITH CHASSADIM. "Upon the two goats:" BEHOLD "upon" is to be understood precisely, HINTING ABOUT MALCHUT WHICH IS ABOVE THE TWO GOATS, so as to give fragrance to the Matron, DENOTING MALCHUT. "One lot for Hashem, and the other lot for Azazel" (Vayikra 16:8). HE QUESTIONS: These two goats SYMBOLIZE JUDGMENTS, so why should one of them be for Hashem? HE ANSWERS: The Holy One, blessed be He, said, 'Let one GOAT stay with Me and let the other wander around in the world, for if both joined together, the world would not be able to bear it.'
118. We have learned that numerous bands of demons are ready under the authority OF THIS GOAT, prepared to spy out the land against all those transgressing the Torah, but on that day, YOM KIPPUR, it is unable to find words of slander against Yisrael. When this goat OF AZAZEL arrives at the mountain, multiple joys burst forth from it to all. Even he who pursued Judgment that emerged, NAMELY THE SUPERNAL GOAT, recants and speaks praise of Yisrael. The prosecutor has become the defense attorney, MEANING THE SLANDERER HAS NOW BECOME THE CHAMPION SPOKESMAN FOR YISRAEL.
120. We have learned that at that time it is written that Aaron "shall take the two goats..." (Vayikra 16:7), these TWO GOATS are stirred up that very day above. They wish TO JOIN TOGETHER, AS MENTIONED, to rule and to set out into the world. When the priest offers the two goats down below in the Temple, they are offered above, and when the lots are spread in every direction, the priest casts lots down below. Then the priest, WHO IS CHESED, casts the lots on high. Just as one remains with the Holy One, blessed be He, REFERRING TO THE ONE GOAT ALLOTTED TO HASHEM, below, and one, NAMELY THE GOAT OF AZAZEL, is brought out to the desert, so it is on high. One remains with the Holy One, blessed be He, IN THE CENTRAL COLUMN, and one goes out and wanders in the world into the desert on high, MEANING THE JUDGMENTS THAT BECOME REVEALED WITH THE EMERGENCE OF CHOCHMAH, WHICH ARE CONSIDERED OF THE ASPECT OF DESERT AND FOREBODING WILDERNESS. The one joins with another, MEANING THEY SHED LIGHT ONE UPON THE OTHER.
123. Rabbi Aba said to him: If so, behold it is written, "And they shall no more offer their sacrifices to the demons (also: 'goats')" (Vayikra 17:7), SO HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT THE GOAT OF AZAZEL CORRESPONDS WITH THE GOAT ABOVE? He answered him: Here things are different as there they used to offer sacrifices to goats, as it is not written: 'And they shall no more offer their sacrifices goats,' but rather "to the goats" as they worshipped goats AND GAVE THEM authority. Here ONLY "and the goat shall bear upon it all their iniquities" (Vayikra 16:22), and the sacrifice was made only for the Holy One, blessed be He. Come and see: as a result of this sacrifice, those on high and those below are perfumed, and Judgment neither dwells nor rules upon Yisrael.
127. Also here, "And shall send him away by the hand of an appointed man," MEANING THAT he is ready for this and marked for it. The priest recognized him, because one eye was slightly larger than the other, the skin above the eye, NAMELY THE EYELIDS, was covered by large hairs and the eye was blue-colored and looked squintingly. This is the person appointed for this matter, TO SEND THE GOAT TO AZAZEL, and he is fitting for this. Therefore, it is written, "By the hand of an appointed man."
134. Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd). It is commanded that the High Priest should perform the service of that day as need be, and should dispatch the goat to Azazel. The secret is as you said, in order THAT THE OTHER SIDE be separated from the Holy Nation and not make demands for their sins before the King. He should not accuse them, as he has neither strength nor authority but when anger is intensified above. With this gift OF THE GOAT TO AZAZEL, he is then converted to be their guardian. As a result he is banished from before the King. We established that this is so, because he represents the end of all flesh.
137. Hence, we need on this day to throw a bone to the dog, MEANING THE GOAT OF AZAZEL. While he is dragging THE BONE, people may enter the palace of the King and no one dares to stop them, FOR THE ACCUSER IS PREOCCUPIED WITH HIS GIFT. Afterwards, he will still be wagging his tail, MEANING HE WILL BECOME A DEFENDER.