66. From the glittering of those two spirits, the holy Ofanim were created. They are treated the same way as are the living creatures, as it is written: "The appearance of the Ofanim (wheels) and their work" (Yechezkel 1:16). THIS IS AS MENTIONED IN THE QUOTATION, "WHEN THOSE MOVED, THESE MOVED; AND WHEN THOSE STOOD STILL, THESE STOOD STILL; AND WHEN THOSE WERE LIFTED UP FROM THE EARTH, THE OFANIM (WHEELS) WERE LIFTED UP ALONG WITH THEM" (IBID. 20). And OF THE OFANIM (WHEELS) it is written: "As for the likeness of the living creatures and their appearance, it was like burning coals of fire, which flame like torches. It flashed up and down among the living creatures" (Ibid. 13). EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE CALLED LIVING CREATURES, THEY ARE NEVERTHELESS OFANIM THAT ARE CALLED LIVING CREATURES BECAUSE THEY ARE TREATED THE SAME AS LIVING CREATURES. HE ASKS: To whom DOES THE SCRIPTURE REFER TO AS "it" IN THE VERSE, "IT FLASHED UP AND DOWN AMONG THE LIVING CREATURES?" AND HE ANSWERS: THE REFERENCE IS MADE TO the Holy Spirit LEVANAH, which is where they originated. And it shines upon them, as the scriptures continue: "And the fire was bright and out of the fire went forth lightning" (Ibid. 13). THE HOLY SPIRIT LEVANAH IS MALCHUT, CALLED BRIGHTNESS, OF WHICH THE SCRIPTURE SAYS, "AND THE FIRE WAS BRIGHT AND OUT OF THE FIRE WENT FORTH LIGHTNING." IT IS THEREFORE SAID OF ITS THAT SINCE IT FLASHED UP AND DOWN AMONG THE LIVING CREATURES, "THEIR APPEARANCE WAS LIKE BURNING COALS OF FIRE." SHE IS THE ASPECT OF BRIGHTNESS FROM WHICH FIRE AND LIGHTNING ARE DRAWN.
71. This HIGHER spirit, WHICH NOW INCLUDES THE SECOND SPIRIT THAT WENT UP TO THE SECOND CHAMBER AS IT TRAVELED UPWARD, ALSO includes within it all the living creatures, Ofanim, and wheels. They grasp onto it, as does water to fire and fire to water AND AS THE FOUR WINDS GRASP ONTO EACH OTHER, south onto north, north onto south, east onto west, and west onto east. They all link with each other and hold onto each other - LIVING CREATURES, OFANIM, AND TWO SPIRITS - WITH THE SPIRIT OF THE SECOND CHAMBER. This spirit goes up to connect WITH THE SPIRIT OF THE SECOND CHAMBER, and the living creatures, INCLUDED IN THE SPIRIT also looks up toward the second chamber TO RECEIVE ITS SUSTENANCE. They look toward each other AND THE SECOND CHAMBER, AND ALL THEREIN LOOK TOWARD THOSE OF THE LOWER CHAMBER, THAT HAVE COME UP TO IT, SO IT MAY BE COMPLETED BY THEM.
78. And when those lights rotate, they emit the light of one living creatures WHICH IS BORN AND stands spanning four living creatures. Those latter control the former, NAMELY THE SERAPHIM, because they contain the Seraphim within them. BECAUSE THE LIVING CREATURES ARE EXTRUDED FROM THE REVOLVING LIGHT, THEY ARE VERY WELL-BALANCED AND CAN CONTROL THE SERAPHIM AND MITIEGATE THE JUDGMENT AND FIRE IN THEM. When the living creatures travel, BY FORCE OF THE REVELATION OF THE REVOLVING LIGHT, the lower Seraphim are vanquished AND RENDERED HARMLESS. Those are the serpents that evolve from and are born of the venomous (Heb. saraph) serpent that caused death to all people of the world, THE PRIMORDIAL SERPENT.
79. Those living creatures are FROM the face of an eagle and look upon this higher living creatures above them, which is the supernal eagle, TO RECEIVE THEIR SUSTENANCE. It is written: "the way of an eagle in the air (Heb. shamayim)" (Mishlei 30:19). THIS ALLUDES TO THE LIVING CREATURES, WHICH IS AN EAGLE, WHICH RESIDES IN THE CHAMBER OF ETZEM HASHAMAYIM. This spirit NAMED SHAMAYIM (HEAVENS) controls all, AT THE TIME OF THE ROTATION OF LIGHT. BUT IF THE SPIRIT OF ETZEM WAS IN CONTROL, THEN THE FACE OF THE LIVING CREATURES WOULD BE THAT OF A LION, AS IS THE FACE OF THE LIVING CREATURES IN THE FIRST CHAMBER, WHICH IS WHITE, HAVING THE LIGHT OF CHASSADIM. BUT BECAUSE THE PREDOMINANT SPIRIT IS THAT OF SHAMAYIM, WHO IS WHITE AND BLUE, CHESED AND GVURAH, THE LIVING CREATURES BORN TO THE LIGHT OF THE ROTATION HAVE THE FACE OF AN EAGLE, AN ADMIXTURE OF CHESED AND GVURAH. FOR THE IMAGE OF CHESED IS A LION, AND THE IMAGE OF GVURAH IS AN OX. The living creature that spans over the four living creatures looks upward TOWARDS THE SPIRIT NAMED SHAMAYIM and the living creatures look upon those SUPERNAL LIVING CREATURES FOR THEIR SUSTENANCE. (not clear)
80. When those living creatures travel, AS WHEN THE ROTATING LIGHT SHINES IN THEM, many hosts are shaken. Some shine because of them, and some exist no longer. The radiance OF THE LIVING CREATURES burns them with fire and later they are restored. All THE LOWER HOSTS slide under this supernal living creatures and find refuge under its wings so as to be included in it above.
81. These four living creatures rise when the spirit ETZEM HASHAMAYIM shines within the SUPERNAL living creature. Each and every living creature has four wheels. One wheel points east and three pedestals support it; all face THE LIVING CREATURE THAT IS IN the center OF THE FOUR WHEELS. One faces west and also has three pedestals that face TOWARD THE LIVING CREATURES IN the center, and the same is true for the wheels of the south and north. The movement of all twelve pedestals OF EACH LIVING CREATURES is controlled by THE LIVING CREATURE IN the middle OF THEIR WHEELS AND IS NOT TO ANY OF THE SIDES OF THE WHEELS THEY SUPPORT. The living creature in the middle closes up and opens, MEANING, CONTROLLING ALL BY CLOSING THE EMANATIONS OF THE LIGHT AND OPEN THEM. While traveling, each wheel can be clearly heard throughout the firmaments.
82. The four living creatures interlink, and the Ofanim below IN THE FIRST CHAMBER penetrate the living creatures of THE SECOND CHAMBER above, which are included within one another. This spirit, which is included within the spirits BELOW IN THE FIRST CHAMBER, glows and ascends to THE THIRD CHAMBER above. There it connects with the desire of a righteous man while reciting his prayer. When a prayer goes up and enters the SECOND chamber, it elevates all IN EXISTENCE IN BOTH THE FIRST AND SECOND CHAMBERS with it and all intermix until they are included in this spirit. This spirit now travels, empowered by the desire of the unification of the prayer. The prayer unifies all until they reach the third chamber and mix with it as the first ones. They mix as fire with water and water with fire, air with earth, earth with air, east with west, west with east, north with south, and south with north. Similarly those here intermingle and intertwine. And many hosts and camps descend, mix, and shine upon those lower ANGELS until they glow upon the planet called Tzedek (Jupiter). On Jupiter, many of the governing ministers of the world stay, WHO RECEIVE THIS RADIANCE, AND SUSTAIN THE WORLD.
88. The lights that emanate from that spirit join together as one when they glitter. When THE TWO LIGHTS OF THE CHAMBERS OF HOD AND YESOD extend from the one light OF NETZACH, they press, so as to glow, REFLECT THE RETURNING LIGHT, AND ENCASE THE DIRECT LIGHT BEING DRAWN DOWN. From those two lights a holy and great living creatures is born. The figure of this living creatures is similar to that of the rest of the living creatures FROM THE FIRST AND SECOND CHAMBERS, FROM WHICH CAME THE TWO LIGHTS THAT GAVE BIRTH TO THIS LIVING CREATURES. THIS LIVING CREATURES HAS the face of a lion FROM THE FIRST CHAMBER and the face of an eagle FROM THE SECOND. These faces are combined and formed into one shape. THIS MEANS THAT BOTH THE FACE OF THE LION AND THE FACE OF THE EAGLE COMBINE TOGETHER TO FORM THE FACE OF THIS ONE LIVING CREATURES. THERE IS NO DEFINITE FACE EVIDENT IN THE LIVING CREATURES TO REMIND US OF THE CHAMBER OF NETZACH, BECAUSE THERE IS NO DEFINITE COLOR WITHIN THIS SPIRIT. NO SHAPE CAN BE DISTINGUISHED IN IT, BECAUSE THE LIGHT OF NETZACH DOES NOT HAVE TO TRAVEL WITH THE TWO LIGHTS IN ORDER TO SHINE.
92. There are four portals to this chamber, and they face the four winds of the world. There are ten ministers in charge of each portal. And because of the desire of pure prayer, those who are present in the lower chambers, YESOD AND HOD, and the chambers themselves elevate TO THIS CHAMBER, and all THE MINISTERS create openings IN THIS CHAMBER for them. One becomes included in the other, and one is entangled in the other, AND ALL CONGREGATE WITHIN ONE ANOTHER. Ministers congregate within one another, hosts within one another, Ofanim congregate within living creatures, and living creatures congregate within Ofanim, and in those Ofanim, lights mix with other lights - THAT IS, REVEALED FACES MIX WITH CONCEALED FACES, and spirit mixes with spirit until all are included within the spirit OF THIS CHAMBER.
98. Come and behold these chambers. Living creatures, hosts, lights, and spirits all need each other so that THE UPPER LEVELS can be completed BY THE ELEVATION OF MAYIN NUKVIN (FEMALE WATERS), and so that, consequently, THE LOWER WORLDS can be completed BY DRAWING MAYIN DUCHRIN (MALE WATERS) from above. These chambers cling to one another.
116. From this living creatures, four pedestals are produced which are larger living creatures than those below. One is called Ofan, WHICH IS MALCHUT ALONE, and is two. THEY CLING TO EACH OTHER, because when one is observed, the other shines within it. They adhere to and penetrate one another. ONE GOES INSIDE THE FIRST, and they are perceived as the four heads of the four winds of the world. Yet all four are one body as is written: "Ofan (a wheel) in the middle of a wheel" (Yechezkel 1:16). All FOUR DIRECTIONS are connected with each other, as is the case with the upper living creatures OF THIS LIVING CREATURES; they never separate. The four colors embroidered IN THE LIVING CREATURES embrace each other and are drawn toward the four directions. Because of this, it appears that when the living creatures travels, it travels to two directions, BINAH AND MALCHUT, THE EMBODIMENTS OF THE FOUR DIRECTIONS.
128. And the twelve lights OF THE SPIRIT rise and glow. From their shining, four holy living creatures are produced. These living creatures, which are the true manifestations of love, are called the "great living creatures (Heb. chayot)." They embrace the smaller living creatures and contain them, as is said: "both small and great beasts (Heb. chayot)" (Tehilim 104:25).
129. THe GREAT LIVING CREATURES contain one another in all four directions, just as the four segments of a walnut are included IN THE FRUIT ITSELF. THIS MEANS THAT EACH OF THE FOUR HAS FOUR PARTS IN IT. Hence, this chamber is called the garden of walnuts, as it is written: "I went down into the garden of walnuts" (Shir Hashirim 6:11). What is meant by the garden of walnuts? IT MEANS, I went down to the chamber of Ahavah, to unite the male and the female.
130. Those four GREAT LIVING CREATURES are divided into twelve, three for each side OF THE FOUR SIDES, and all of the lower CHAMBERS are contained within them. THE TWELVE LIGHTS INCLUDE SIX FROM THE CHAMBER ITSELF AND SIX FROM THE LOWER CHAMBERS, WHICH HAVE ELEVATED. THE SAME EFFECT IS PRODUCED IN THE LIVING CREATURES: THE SIX LIGHTS OF THE CHAMBER PRODUCE FOUR GREAT LIVING CREATURES, NAMELY CHOCHMAH, BINAH, TIFERET AND MALCHUT. EACH ONE OF THE FOUR GREAT LIVING CREATURES HAS FOUR SIDES. HENCE, THERE ARE SIXTEEN LIGHTS. AND THE SIX LIGHTS EMANATING FROM THE LOWER CHAMBERS PRODUCE THE TWELVE SMALL LIVING CREATURES. EACH OF THESE LIVING CREATURES CONTAINS ONLY THREE ASPECTS. And within THESE SMALL LIVING CREATURES, spirits are contained in spirits and lights within lights. All are contained within the other, until they become one. And then, AFTER ALL THE LOWER BEINGS UNITE, the spirit includes them all. IT THUS ENCOMPASSES THE TWELVE LIGHTS, WHICH IN TURN ARE INCLUDED WITHIN THE FOUR GREAT AND TWELVE SMALL LIVING CREATURES, AND THE TWELVE SMALL LIVING CREATURES INCLUDE ALL THE LOWER BEINGS, AS PREVIOUSLY EXPLAINED. THE SPIRIT rises WITH THEM to be adorned by the higher spirit called Shamayim (heaven), WHICH IS THE SECRET OF ZEIR ANPIN OF ATZILUT, AS ZEIR ANPIN IS THE SECRET OF THE RUACH OF ATZILUT AND IS CALLED 'HEAVEN.' It invites it to be united with it. And when all those from below are attached to it, it says, "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth" (Shir Hashirim 1:1). Then there is the joy of uniting a spirit with a spirit. THAT IS, THE SPIRIT OF DESIRE, WHICH INCLUDES ALL THE LOWER BEINGS, JOINS WITH THE SPIRIT OF ATZILUT, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF ZEIR ANPIN CALLED 'HEAVEN,' to complement each other. This union results in perfection. BY UNITING ALL OF THE LOWER CHAMBERS, THE SPIRIT BECOMES WHOLE, BOTH WITH CHASSADIM AND CHOCHMAH.
171. "And Elohim said, 'Let the earth bring forth living creatures...'" (Beresheet 1:24). These words refer to the rest of the Chayot, APART FROM YISRAEL, each and every one receives according to its kind. Rabbi Elazar added, This supports our statement that "living Nefesh" refers to Yisrael, who are holy supernal living souls. The words "Cattle, and creeping things, and beasts of the earth" (Beresheet 1:24) refer to the idolatrous nations, which are not living souls. Rather, they are, as we have said, DRAWN FROM THE FORCES OF THE LEFT, WHICH DEFILE THEM.