173. After BINAH gave birth, she produced a male child, placed him before her, NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN, and there is a need to write Vav, WHICH HINTS ABOUT THE SON; NAMELY, ZEIR ANPIN AFTER HE WAS BORN AND CAME FORTH TO HIS PLACE. This one, THE SON, inherits Aba and Ima. AND ZEIR ANPIN inherits two portions, ONE FOR HIMSELF AND ONE FOR MALCHUT. From him is nurtured the daughter. Therefore, it is necessary to write afterwards Vav-Hei together, ONE AFTER ANOTHER, just as the first Hei IS JOINED together WITH THE YUD, MEANING Yud Hei. There must be no separation between them. Also here Vav Hei are together and there is no need to separate them. We already established these matters. These matters here are also taken up to another place. Fortunate is the portion of the righteous, who understand supernal secrets of the Holy King and are worthy to be thankful before Him. Thus, it is written, "Surely the righeous shall give thanks to Your name: the upright shall dwell in Your presence" (Tehilim 140:14).
285. (A) "And she said, Will you give me a pledge, till you send it?" (Beresheet 38:17) These are the marks of a Queen blessed by the King during her nuptials. And he said: What pledge shall I give you? And she said: Your signet, and your cord, and your staff (Ibid. 18). These are the heavenly bonds, the jewels of the Bride who is blessed by these three - NAMELY Netzach, Hod and Yesod. Everything is contained within these three. The Bride is blessed from this. Immediately, "he gave it her, and came into her, and she conceived by him" (Ibid.).
(B) "And it came to pass about three months after" (Ibid. 24). HE QUESTIONS: What is meant by three months? HE ANSWERS: After a tripled month. The three months ARE CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET, as we have established. HERE IT IS WRITTEN, "About three months," MEANING as the fourth month began, DENOTING MALCHUT, to stir up the Judgments in the world due to the sins of mankind and to nurture from the Other Side. Then, "it was told Judah, saying, Tamar your daughter in law has played the harlot" (Ibid.), so the bride is found on the Other Side. It is written, "Bring her out" (Ibid.) as the verse says, "And cast down from heaven (to) earth the beauty of Yisrael" (Eichah 2:1). "And let her be burnt" (Beresheet 38:24) with a flaming fire in exile.
(C) It is written, "When she was brought forth" to be drawn into the exile, "She sent to her father-in-law, saying, By the man whose these are, I AM WITH CHILD" (Ibid. 25). It is not written: 'from whom these are,' but "whose these are," WHICH MEANS these items are proof of him by whom I am with child. THESE WERE BRIDAL ORNAMENTS AND THEY HAD ALREADY BECOME HERS, AS EARLIER MENTIONED, BUT ONLY HE GAVE THEM. Immediately, "And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She has been more righteous (Heb. tzedakah) than I" (Ibid. 26). Assuredly she is righteous, for this was brought about by that name, FOR SO IS MALCHUT CALLED. What brought upon her this name? He continued, "than I (also: 'from me')," as it is written, "For Hashem is righteous, He loves righteousness (Heb. tzedakah); the upright shall behold His face" (Tehilim 11:7). This is because tzedakah is justice (Heb. tzedek) and Hei, and she received that name from me. She inherited IT from me and all this is come from me.
363. For this reason, the Torah warns people, "You shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and you shall be holy" (Vayikra 11:44). Surely, if a man is holy, he need not fear LILIT. Then the Holy One, blessed be He, designates these three holy angels which we spoke about, and they guard that child, so she cannot harm him. This is the meaning of the verse, "No evil shall befall you, nor shall any come near your dwelling" (Tehilim 91:10). For what reason is it that "no evil shall befall you?" "For He shall give His angels charge over you" (Ibid. 11) and, "Because he has set his delight upon Me, therefore will I deliver him" (Ibid. 14).
364. If a person is not holy, but draws a spirit from the side of defilement, then LILIT comes and plays with the child. If she kills him, she clings to the spirit OF THE CHILD and never lets go. If you ask, What about the others THAT DID NOT DRAW SPIRIT FROM DEFILEMENT? She kills them and there appear before her these three holy SPIRITS who take away his spirit. Behold, these people were never in the side of defilement, so why does she have the ability to kill them? HE ANSWERS: This is so when they are not sanctified; THEREFORE, SHE CAN KILL THEM. They never had any intention to become unclean and they did not become unclean. Therefore, she only has control over his body, TO KILL HIM but not the spirit, AS THE SPIRIT IS BROUGHT BEFORE THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE.
365. Sometimes it happens that Na'amah goes out into the world to heat herself against people, and a man would find himself bound to her with desire. He awakens from his sleep, joins and lies with his wife, but his thoughts are STILL with the desire he had in his dream. Then the child born stems from Na'amah, because all this happened while he had a desire for her. When Lilit comes out and sees the child, she understands the situation THAT HE STEMS FROM NA'AMAH. She clings to him and raises him like the other children of Na'amah. Also, she stays with him a long time, but does not kill him, AS HE PERTAINS TO HER SIDE.