311. We have learned in the Mishnah about the ways of the lights. Four keys were made for the directions of the world, and there is one KEY for the four directions in their corners. There are four DIRECTIONS for each direction and they are engraved with one color. In the color ARE MIXED blue, purple, scarlet, white and red. One blends into the color of the other and ITS COLOR, MEANING THAT OF ITS NEIGHBOR, is found in it.
312. Four heads rose together joined as one form. One head arose from the washing, where it was washed. Two gazelles of equal size rose from that washing, as it is written, "Like a flock of shorn (also: 'measured') ewes, which came up from the washing" (Shir Hashirim 4:2). Within their hair is the appearance of a precious stone of four colors.
315. There is a crystal mirror on one sword. On the top of that sword glistens the color of red in the midst of the crystal. From the two sides very deep impressions appear in that sword. One strong warrior, a youth standing in thirteen worlds, is girded with that sword to do vengeance. With him are sixty other mighty warriors girded with swords, all trained to be victorious in war. This is the meaning of the verse, "Gird your sword upon your thigh, O mighty warrior: your glory and your majesty" (Tehilim 45:4). It is also written, "All girt with swords, and expert in war..." (Shir Hashirim 3:8). They turn forward in several ways, and no one knows them except one worm that swims among the fish of the sea. All rocks that pass over them break up.
317. "The nakedness of your father, or the nakedness of your mother, shall you not uncover" (Vayikra 18:7). Rabbi Chiyah opened the discussion saying, "Like the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons..." (Shir Hashirim 2:3). This verse has been expounded by the friends. Yet, how beloved is the Congregation of Yisrael before the Holy One, blessed be He, that she lauds Him in this VERSE. We should look into this. Why does she laud Him through the apple and not with something else or with something THAT HAS color, or fragrance or taste.
318. HE ANSWERS: Since it is written "apple tree," IT TURNS OUT she is lauding him in every manner, with color, fragrance and with taste. Just as the apple is a cure-all also the Holy One, blessed be He, is a cure for all. Just as apple appears in colors - as we established, IT HAS WHITE, RED, GREEN - so does the Holy One, blessed be He, appear in supernal colors - NAMELY CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET THAT ARE THE SECRET OF WHITE, RED AND GREEN. As the apple tree has a fine fragrance MORE than other trees, so about the Holy One, blessed be He, it is written, "And His fragrance like the Lebanon" (Hoshea 14:7). Just as the apple's taste is sweet, so also is the Holy One's, blessed be He, as it is written, "His mouth is most sweet" (Shir Hashirim 5:16).