125. There is a man who is fit for curses to occur through him. Wherever he looks, there would be curses, anathemas and confusions. For example, Bilaam was called evil-eyed, as he was ready for every evil but not prepared for good. Even when he blessed, his blessing was no blessing and it was not fulfilled. But when he cursed, it prevailed; even in one instance IT WOULD COME TO BE. Therefore, it is written, "Whose eyes are open," (Bemidbar 24:3). Every place his eye had seen was cursed.
126. Come and see what is written, "But he set his face toward the wilderness" (Ibid. 1) for the purpose of arousing the force that rules there, NAMELY THE OTHER SIDE, so it should come slandering and denouncing Yisrael. It is written of the priests, "He that has a good eye shall be blessed," as he is ready for this and the blessing prevails where he aims his eyes. As a result, we have learned that a person should turn away even from one hundred ways and avoid meeting someone who has an evil eye.
204. Another explanation for, "With my soul have I desired You in the night..." The Congregation of Yisrael said before the Holy One, blessed be He, "With my soul have I desired You in the night," MEANING so long as I find myself in exile among other nations and withhold my soul from all evil that is connected with the nations. "With my soul have I desired You" in order to return to my place. "With my spirit within me I seek You," meaning even though they subject my children to every kind of oppression, the Holy Spirit does not depart from them in order that they should seek You and perform Your commandments.
212. The seventy members of the heavenly Sandhedrin are alerted with these pains of birth that She cries, until Her voice reaches Yud Hei Vav Hei. Immediately, "the voice of Hashem makes the hinds to calve" (Tehilim 29:9). This refers to the ABOVE MENTIONED masters of the Mishnah THAT ARE THE SECRET MEANING OF "the virgins, her companions that follow her" (Tehilim 45:15). All of them will be trembling as the one who gives birth, literally with distress, as the time presses upon them with many bites of the Evil Inclination, which is the snake that bites at them with various TYPES OF distress.
249. We have learned that ten types of these Chochmot, OF KLIPOT, descended to the world and all WERE GIVEN TO and became unclean in Egypt, except for one that spread THROUGHOUT THE WORLD EXCEPT EGYPT. They consisted of all types of sorcery, and from them the Egyptians knew sorcery more than the rest of mankind. When the Egyptians wished to gather kinds of sorceries for their purposes, they used to go out into the field to the high mountains and offer sacrifices. They made diggings in the ground and surrounded the diggings with blood while the rest of the blood gathered within the diggings. They placed upon it flesh. They offered the sacrifice to evil beings. And these evil beings gathered and approached together, and were appeased by them on that mountain.
250. Yisrael, who were subjugated by the Egyptians, approached them, learned from them, followed their erroneous ways, as the verse says, "After the doings of the land of Egypt, in which you dwelt, shall you not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan..." (Vayikra 18:3). It is also written, "And they shall no more offer their sacrifice to demons..." (Vayikra 17:7). We have learned that when they were offering before them upon the field and preparing the blood and offering their sacrifices, all these evil types assembled and they saw them as demons, as they were full of hair and they told them what they wanted.
254. After THE DEMONS go with them through the world, they return them to their graves and they see body worms picking at THEIR flesh. THE SOULS mourn for them, FOR THE BODIES. These sorcerers go to the cemeteries and perform their sorcery, make an image of a human form and slaughter before it a goat. Later, they bring that goat to that grave and that image they shatter to four directions and raise it to the four corners of the grave. Then they perform their sorcery. All these groups assemble with evil kinds and bring this soul, which enters the grave, and speaks with them.
272. Furthermore, when other nations come before their deceased, they come with sorcery to awaken kinds of evil beings. When Yisrael come to their deceased, they come in great repentance before the Holy One, blessed be He, with a broken heart and fasting. All this is done so that the holy souls will ask for mercy for their sake before the Holy One, blessed be He. And the Holy One, blessed be He, shows mercy to the world on their behalf.
289. Rabbi Yitzchak said: IT WAS the practices of Egypt THAT THEY USED to worship the maidservant, MEANING THE KLIPAH CALLED MAIDSERVANT, as we have explained. The practice of Canaan WAS TO worship THAT PLACE called "the captive that was in the dungeon" (Shemot 12:29). Therefore, it is written, "Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be to his brethren" (Beresheet 9:25). For this reason, they all falsified in matters of holiness and everything practiced IDOLATRY. For this reason, IT IS WRITTEN, "After the doings of the land of Egypt, in which you dwelt..." (Vayikra 18:3). Rabbi Yehuda said: They created evil Judgments that will rule over the land, NAMELY MALCHUT, as the verse says, "That your land be not defiled" (Devarim 21:23) and, "And the land is defiled" (Vayikra 18:27).
294. Rabbi Yitzchak said: Because of this, whoever brings into the land any of the evil beings or other domains defiles the land. Woe is to him, woe to his soul, as the Holy Land will not receive him after that. Of him, it is written, "The sinners will be consumed out of the earth" (Tehilim 104:35) in this world and the World to Come. Then, "the wicked will be no more" (Ibid.) during the resurrection of the dead. Then "Bless you Hashem, my soul, Haleluyah" (Ibid.).
320. Rabbi Yosi said, when righteous men multiply in the world, it is written, "His left hand is under my head, and his right hand embraces me" (Shir Hashirim 2:6), MEANING THE RIGHT AND THE LEFT JOIN IN UNITY, ONE WITH ANOTHER. When the wicked multiply in the world, it is written, "He has drawn back His right hand from before the enemy" (Eichah 2:3), AND THE LEFT RULES WITHOUT THE RIGHT. THEN ALL JUDGMENTS ARE POURED DOWN FROM IT. Rabbi Chizkiyah said, We understand it from here, WHERE IT IS WRITTEN, "and a whisperer separates close friends" (Mishlei 16.28), meaning that the King separates from the Queen, BECAUSE OF THE EVIL MAN CALLED WHISPERER. This is the meaning of the verse, "The nakedness of your father, or the nakedness of your mother, shall you not uncover" MEANING YOU SHOULD NOT CAUSE THE UNCOVERING OF JUDGMENTS ABOVE TO THE NURTURING OF THE OTHER SIDE THROUGH WHICH A SPLIT IN THE HOLY UNION WILL OCCUR.
352. Rabbi Aba said to him: You have spoken well. Where did you acquire this? He replied: I studied this. I also learned that this evil inheritance OF THE SPIRIT OF DEFILEMENT is acquired by all his children if they do not turn to penance, as nothing can stand in the way before repentance. So have I learned. This cure, NAMELY REPENTANCE, was given me once upon a time, when my face was marked. One day, I was walking and met one meritorious person, and through him was the mark removed from my face. He asked me my name. I replied Elazar. He announced me to be a different Elazar. RABBI ABA said to him: Blessed is the Merciful One that I have met you and deserved to see you accomplishing this. Blessed is your share in this world and the World to Come. It was I who met you.
363. For this reason, the Torah warns people, "You shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and you shall be holy" (Vayikra 11:44). Surely, if a man is holy, he need not fear LILIT. Then the Holy One, blessed be He, designates these three holy angels which we spoke about, and they guard that child, so she cannot harm him. This is the meaning of the verse, "No evil shall befall you, nor shall any come near your dwelling" (Tehilim 91:10). For what reason is it that "no evil shall befall you?" "For He shall give His angels charge over you" (Ibid. 11) and, "Because he has set his delight upon Me, therefore will I deliver him" (Ibid. 14).
368. Woe to those people who are all obtuse and blind and neither know, listen nor pay attention to the reason they are in the world. Advice and cure are before them, but they do not see, for people cannot be saved, except with the guidance of Torah, as it is written, "If there be among you any man, that is not clean by reason of uncleanness that chances by night" (Devarim 23:11). "That is not clean" is exact, MEANING THAT HIS BIRTH WAS COME THROUGH THE SPIRIT OF DEFILEMENT, AS MENTIONED. "Uncleanness that chances by night" exactly, MEANING AT SLEEP WHEN DREAMING. We have already established these matters with the counsel of the holy Torah, as it is written in the Torah, "You shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and you shall be holy, for I am Hashem your Elohim" (Vayikra 20:7); THEN NO EVIL WILL BEFALL YOU.
404. We have learned that in the secrets of defilement, the filth of the nails stirs other filth, MEANING THE FILTH OF THE SERPENT. For this reason, it is necessary to hide them. One who eradicates them entirely, BY BURNING THEM, is considered as having awakened Chesed in the world. We have learned that man does not need to leave a memorial for those evil kinds. As we have learned, 1,405 bad types are caught up in the filth that the mighty serpent spews. All are roused by that filth in the nails.
405. Anyone who wants to, can perform witchcraft with them on people, due to these DEMONS that derive from them. He who eradicates them, MEANING BURNS THEM, is considered as if he multiplies kindness in the world so that evil Judgments are not present, and that filth will be annuled, and its nails that are marked by it, BY THAT FILTH. We have learned that one who steps by foot or shoes on the nails might be harmed. If it is so with the remnants of what was left of the refuse above, then how much more so the woman that welcomes and joins with the serpent in whom he injected his refuse. Woe to the world who will receive from her AT THIS TIME, SINCE IT RECEIVES from that refuse. "Also you shall not approach to a woman in the impurity of her menstrual flow" (Vayikra 18:19), MEANING NOT TO RECEIVE FROM MALCHUT AT THE TIME THE SERPENT JOINS HER, BECAUSE OF THE SIN OF LOWER BEINGS, AND INJECTS FILTH INTO HER.