75. THE VERSE: "Let the earth bring forth grass" (Beresheet 1:11) IS THE SECRET OF THE LOWER UNION, AS it is now revealing its powers in these waters that have been gathered in one place. THE MOCHIN ARE drawn down into it in a concealed and a hidden manner. And from within it come forth supernal and concealed SOULS and holy hosts. These are formed and drawn, using the edifices of Faith, by THE RIGHTEOUS, the men of Faith - NAMELY THE FEMALE WATERS - by worshipping their Master.
76. This is the secret of the verse: "Who causes the grass to grow for the cattle" (Tehilim 104:14). This is the living creature that crouches on a thousand mountains and for whom grass is grown every day. This grass refers to those angels who govern only for a specific time, BUT THEN MUST VANISH IMMEDIATELY; because they were created on the second day, THEIR DOMINION DRAWS UPON THE LEFT COLUMN THAT WAS CREATED ON THE SECOND DAY. IN THEIR DOMINION THEY WISH TO ANNUL THE RIGHT. They are destined to be food for this living creature, WHICH MEANS THAT NOTHING OF THEIR ILLUMINATION IS DRAWN DOWN TO THE LOWER BEINGS. ONLY THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE ENJOYS IT, AND THEN SHE BURNS AND ANNULS THEM WITH IT - as there is fire that consumes fire, WHICH IS THE DOMINION OF THE LEFT, CALLED 'FIRE.'
78. When they are made ready by "the service of man," sustenance and food come from them to the world, as it is written: "That he may bring forth food out of the earth" (Idid.). This is WHAT IS MEANT: "herb yielding seed" (Beresheet 1:12), WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE MOCHIN. The grass (hay) does not yield any seed, but is intended to be consumed by the sacred fire OF THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE, AS EXPLAINED ABOVE, whereas the herb, WHICH YIELDS SEED, is intended for the improvement of the world.
80. THE VERSE: "And fruit tree yielding fruit" (Beresheet 1:11) ALLUDES TO TWO GRADES, one grade above another, WHICH REPRESENT male and female. THIS MEANS THAT THE FRUIT TREE IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN; "YIELDING FRUIT" ALLUDES TO YESOD OF ZEIR ANPIN, WHICH IS MALE. IT IS SAID TO BE "YIELDING FRUIT" BECAUSE ALL THE FRUIT THAT THE FEMALE YIELDS REACHES HER FROM THE MALE. Just as the "fruit tree," WHICH IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE, reveals the potential power that it received from the "fruit tree yielding fruit," WHICH IS THE MALE, so it reveals HER OWN POTENTIAL AS WELL. HE ASKS: What is REVEALED FROM THE POTENTIAL OF THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE HERSELF? HE REPLIED, The Cherubs and pillars ARE REVEALED FROM HER OWN ASPECT. AND HE FURTHER ASKS: What are these pillars? AND HE REPLED, They are those that rise up in the smoke of the sacrifice and are become stronger because of the offering. They are called "columns of smoke." THIS IS THE SECRET OF THE VERSE: "WHO IS THIS COMING OUT OF THE WILDERNESS LIKE COLUMNS OF SMOKE" (SHIR HASHIRIM 3:6). SO THE CHERUBS ARE THE SECRET OF THE "HERB" THAT SHE RECEIVES FROM THE MALE AND THE "COLUMNS OF SMOKE" ARE THE "GRASS." THE CHERUBS AND PILLARS exist for "the service of men," but not the "grass," which is meant for food, as it is written: "Behold now animals (Heb. behemot), which I made with you; he eats grass like an ox" (Iyov 40:15).
93. The "herb" WHICH APPEARS IN THE VERSE: "LET THE EARTH BRING FORTH GRASS, HERB YIELDING SEED" does not yield seed. Because of this, it has no permanency and does not last like the others. This is because it has no image to be shaped and engraved into any sort of likeness or form. Instead, they are seen and not seen. All those that have not been shaped into a form or an image have no permanency. They ARE CREATED AND last only for a certain time and are immediately consumed by the fire that devours fire, as already explained. Then they are again created and are immediately consumed by the fire that consumes fire. THIS IS REPEATED AGAIN AND AGAIN every day.
381. Because it is so marked - MEANING THAT IT INCLUDED WITHIN ITSELF THE ENTIRE MOCHIN BOTH OF CHOCHMAH AND CHASSADIM - it represents the division between the first and third day. It is not said "good" in between, REFERRING TO THE MOCHIN OF THE SECOND DAY. On the third day, the earth - NAMELY THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE - produced fruit from the power of this Righteous - NAMELY YESOD - as it is written: "And Elohim said, 'Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit'" (Beresheet 1:11). HE ASKS: What is the "fruit tree," AND REPLIES: This is the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, ALLUDING TO THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN. "Yielding fruit" means the Righteous, the fountain (Yesod) of the world THAT PRODUCES ALL THE FRUIT AND BESTOWS THEM UPON THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE. AS A RESULT OF THE GREATER VALUE OF YESOD, THE SECOND DAY SEEMS TO BE OF RELATIVELY LITTLE VALUE, SO IT IS NOT SAID ABOUT IT "THAT IT WAS GOOD."