7. After the point and the chamber were established as one, Beresheet - WHICH IS ARICH ANPIN - includes a lofty beginning to THE LIGHT OF Chochmah. Later, the appearance of the chamber changed and it was called a house (Heb. bayit) and the supernal point was called the head (Heb. rosh). They were included in each other through the secret of the Beginning, BECAUSE COMBINING THE WORDS BAYIT AND ROSH FORMS THE TERM BERESHEET. This was so as long as BAYIT AND ROSH were as one, as long as there was no MANNER OF habitation in the house; AS LONG AS CHOCHMAH WAS NOT CLOTHED WITH CHASSADIM, WHICH REVEALS THE FOUR COLORS OF THE HOUSE. But it was sown for the purpose of habitation and, once it was inhabited, it was called BY THE NAME 'Elohim' hidden and concealed.
8. The brightness was concealed and hidden until the children came inside it in order to beget and the house stood expanded to contain what was established through the holy seed. As long as it had not conceived, the expansion of the house to make it habitable had not occurred, nor was it yet called BY THE NAME 'Elohim.' Rather, they both are still part of Beresheet ("In the beginning"). THEREFORE, EVERYTHING IS CONSIDERED AS IF IT IS INCLUDED WITHIN ARICH ANPIN; THAT IS, THE BEGINNING. After it became known by the name 'Elohim,' it gave birth to the generations that came from the seed sown within it. HE ASKS, What is that seed AND REPLIES: The seed is the engraved letters, WHICH ARE the secret of the Torah, REFERRING TO ZEIR ANPIN, which emanates from that point - WHICH IS ARICH ANPIN.
98. "And Elohim said, 'Let there be Light(s) ? (Heb. me'orot)'" (Beresheet 1:14). THE WORD Me'orot IS WRITTEN HERE with defective spelling, WITHOUT THE LETTER VAV. THIS MEANS that the children's disease, croup (diphtheria), was created. BECAUSE WITHOUT VAV, ME'OROT MEANS CURSES, AS IN THE VERSE: "THE CURSE (HEB. ME'ERAT) OF HASHEM IS IN THE HOUSE OF THE WICKED" (MISHLEI 3:33). For, after the illumination of the primordial light was concealed, the skull (Heb. Klipah) of the brain was created. This Klipah expanded and brought forth another Klipah. As soon as THE KLIPAH went forth, it ascended and descended until it reached the small face. It wanted to cleave to it and become part of its form - it refused COMPLETELY to be separated from it. When the Holy One, blessed be He, created Adam, he separated it from there and the Klipah descended below TO THE LEVEL OF MALCHUT ONLY, in order to fix it in this world, ON THE LEVEL OF MALCHUT ALONE AND NOT ABOVE IT.
117. The kingdom of THE HOUSE OF David was established on this day, THE FOURTH DAY, which is the fourth leg that supports the throne. IT HAPPENED ON THE FOURTH DAY BECAUSE the letters were completed and fixed in their places PROPERLY. In spite of all this, MALCHUT (KINGDOM) was not fixed properly in its place before the sixth day, because only then was the image of man completed and properly established. ON THE SIXTH DAY, the upper throne and the lower throne were established and all the worlds settled in their places. All the letters were set in their spheres after untying and releasing the complicated knot THAT EXISTED AMONG THE LETTERS.
125. The phrase: "the greater luminary (As a general comment, wherever this word appears throughout the Zohar, please note: "luminary" has other connotations than "light" and doesn't strike me as being the correct word. I think of a luminary as being a person - a celebrity, VIP, etc.) ," NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN, rules the day and "the lesser luminary," WHICH IS HIS FEMALE PRINCIPLE, rules the night. The secret LEARNED from here is that the male rules by day and fills up the house with all that is needed, such as food and sustenance. As soon as night falls and the female takes command, everything in the house falls under her control, because then it is time for her dominion. As it is written: "She rises also while it is yet night and gives food to her household" (Mishlei 31:15); "she" and not "he." SO THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE, NOT ZEIR ANPIN, GIVES AT NIGHT, as the dominion over the day belongs to the male and the dominion over the night belongs to the female.
127. THE VERSE: "And the stars" MEANS THAT after the female has attained order in her house and retired with her husband, the maidens are left in charge of the house. THE MAIDENS WHO SERVE THE FEMALE ARE CALLED THE STARS. AND THE SECRET OF THE PHRASE "AND THE STARS" IS THAT THE FEMININE PRINCIPLE TURNS CONTROL OF THE HOUSE OVER TO THEM to deal with all the requirements of the house. THAT IS, TO PREPARE HER FOR MATING WITH THE SUN AND TO BESTOW THE ABUNDANCE OF THE DAY. THIS IS DURING THE DARKNESS BEFORE DAWN, WHEN THE MAIDENS - THE STARS - RULE, WHICH IS AN INFERIOR RULE. THEN DARKNESS IS DOUBLED IN THE WORLD. THIS IS THE SECRET MEANING OF, "A PORTION TO HER MAIDENS" (MISHLEI 31:15). Afterward, THAT IS, AFTER THE MATING IN THE DARKNESS OF THE MORNING (BEFORE DAWN BREAKS), the household returns to the dominion of the male during the day and everything is set properly in place. THIS MEANS THAT THE FEMALE IS INCLUDED WITHIN THE MALE, ACCORDING TO THE SECRET OF THE MATING AND IS UNDER HIS CONTROL. SHE REVEALS THE LIGHT OF THE MORNING TO THE WORLD, AS IT SHOULD BE.
148. In the same manner that THE RIGHT AND THE LEFT ABOVE - WHICH ARE Moses and Aaron - are connected TO THE RIGHT AND THE LEFT BELOW (NAMELY Samuel)so is THE CENTRAL COLUMN ABOVE (TIFERET )AND THE ASPECT OF Jacob and Moses connected to THE CENTRAL COLUMN BELOW, WHICH IS YESOD AND THE ASPECT OF Joseph. Jacob was the owner of the house. When Jacob passed away, Moses gained control over the house during his lifetime. Joseph was righteous because of Jacob and Moses.
149. THE PROOF THAT Jacob took over the house, WHICH IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN, through Joseph, is in the verse: "These are the generations of Jacob Joseph" (Beresheet 37:2). THIS SHOWS THAT THEY WERE ATTACHED TO EACH OTHER. Moses did not mate with her, WITH THE FEMALE, until he attained THE CONNECTION WITH Joseph. When the Shechinah returned from the exile IN EGYPT, MOSES - WHO IS THE INTERNAL ASPECT OF ZEIR ANPIN - was able to unite with THE SHECHINAH only through Joseph, as it is written: "And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him" (Shemot 13:19). Why is it written: "with him?" Because THE ASPECT OF the body is not FIT for mating with the female unless it FIRST unites with the covenant, WHICH IS YESOD. This is why Moses took Joseph with him. Because, since JOSEPH was CONNECTED with him, ZEIR ANPIN could mate with this Female principle in the proper manner. Thus, IT IS CONSIDERED THAT Jacob, Moses and Joseph go together as one, AS BOTH JACOB AND MOSES HAVE TO JOIN JOSEPH.
154. Moses mated with the moon. THAT IS, MOSES BROUGHT ON THE MATING OF ZEIR ANPIN WITH THE MOON while he was still enclothed in a body IN THIS WORLD. He had full control over her, AS HE WAS CONSIDERED THE HUSBAND OF THE QUEEN. When he passed from this world, his sacred spirit ascended high and the spirit returned to the supernal Jubilee, NAMELY BINAH. There, IN THE WORLD OF BINAH, MOSES cleaved to 600,000 SOULS OF THE GENERATION OF THE WILDERNESS, which belonged to him - THAT IS, TO HIS OWN ASPECT. This is something that did not happen to Jacob, BECAUSE HE DID NOT ASCEND TO BINAH AFTER HIS DEATH, AS MOSES DID AFTER HIS. INSTEAD, his spirit returned to the Sabbatical year; NAMELY, THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN AS BINAH IS CALLED JUBILEE AND THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE IS THE SABBATICAL YEAR. This did not happen as long as he was alive, because in his lifetime he had a different house, MEANING A DIFFERENT FEMALE PRINCIPLE. IN OTHER WORDS, BECAUSE HE HAD A WIFE DURING HIS LIFETIME IN THIS WORLD, HE COULD NOT CLEAVE ENTIRELY TO THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN, AS HE COULD AFTER HIS DEATH.
186. Because Jacob saw through the Holy Spirit the oppression of the last exile, in the end of days, it is said of him, "Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed" (Beresheet 32:8). As a result, he divided the holy nation in exile into three parts, as it is written: "And he put the handmaids and their children foremost" (Beresheet 33:2). THIS MEANS at first in the exile of Edom, "and Leah and her children after, and Rachel and Joseph last of all." Because he saw their eventual poverty and suffering, HE PRAYED FOR THEM: "So that I come back to my father's house in peace" (Beresheet 28:21), SO THAT THEY MAY HAVE THE MERIT TO BE REDEEMED AND RETURN TO THE TEMPLE. He said IN PRAYER: "And will give me bread to eat, and clothing to wear" (Ibid.), THAT THE KLIPOT WILL NOT OVERCOME THEM TO STOP THEIR ABUNDANCE.
279. The phrase: "And of the side, which Hashem Elohim had taken from man He made (built) a woman" (Beresheet 2:22) hints at the secret of levirate marriage. It is said of the deceased husband's brother that once he did not build, he shall never build again, as it is written: "That will not build up his brother's house" (Devarim 25:9). However, in reference to the Holy One, blessed be He, it is written: "Hashem Elohim...built." EVEN THOUGH HE DID NOT BUILD THE SHECHINAH WHILE IN EXILE, HE IS STILL ABLE TO REDEEM HER, BECAUSE HASHEM ELOHIM - NAMELY ABA AND IMA - BUILT HER FOR HIM. SINCE HE DID NOT BUILD HER, THE WORDS: 'ONCE HE DID NOT BUILD, HE SHALL NEVER BUILD AGAIN' DO NOT APPLY TO HIM. Thus, it is written: "Hashem builds Jerusalem" (Tehilim 147:2). "JERUSALEM," BEING THE SHECHINAH, IS BUILT USING THE FOUR LETTERS OF YUD HEI VAV HEI. The letter Vav, WHICH ALLUDES TO ZEIR ANPIN, is the son of Yud-Hei OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, WHICH ALLUDES TO Aba and Ima. About them, it is written: "And of the side, which Hashem Elohim had taken from man," from the Central Column which he had taken from the LOWER Hei OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, which is his maiden, WHO IS MALCHUT OF ZEIR ANPIN HIMSELF, NOT MALCHUT OF MALCHUT.
280. And of MALCHUT OF MALCHUT, it is written: "For I, says Hashem, will be to her a wall of fire round about" (Zecharyah 2:9). SO IT IS SAID OF HER: "FOR I...WILL BE TO HER A WALL OF FIRE," MEANING THAT SHE HAS BECOME A WALL OF FIRE AROUND JERUSALEM TO PROTECT IT FROM THE MIXED MULTITUDE. AT THE END OF THE CORRECTION, THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, SHALL BRING HER DOWN FROM ABOVE, BUILT ACCORDING TO THE SECRET OF THE PHRASE: "O JERUSALEM, BUILT" (TEHILIM 122:3). Therefore, on this mountain - MALCHUT OF MALCHUT - the Temple shall be built by the Holy One, blessed be He, and shall exist for generation after generation ETERNALLY. In this regard, it is written: "The glory of this latter house shall be greater than that of the former" (Chagai 2:9), because the first TEMPLE was built by man, REFERRING TO KING SOLOMON, whereas THE LATTER shall be built by the Holy One, blessed be He. Thus, it is written: "Unless Hashem builds the house, they who build it labor in vain" (Tehilim 127:1), BECAUSE THE FIRST AND SECOND TEMPLES, WHICH WERE NOT BUILT BY THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, HAD NO ETERNAL EXISTENCE. AND "THEY WHO BUILD IT LABOR IN VAIN."
293. We have learned that every time Solomon is mentioned in the Song of Songs, IT IS AN ALLUSION TO the King to whom shalom (peace) belongs, NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN. IF ONLY the general term 'king' IS USED, AS OPPOSED TO KING SOLOMON, THEN IT ALLUDES TO the Female principle OF ZEIR ANPIN, WHICH IS MALCHUT. The lower king is INCLUDED within the upper KING and the secret is that the lower inherits from the upper, and they become as one. Then is THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE CALLED a house, as it is written: "Through wisdom a house is built" (Mishlei 24:3), WHICH MEANS THAT THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE IS NOT CALLED A HOUSE WITHOUT RECEIVING CHOCHMAH. It is also written: "King Solomon made himself a palanquin of the timbers of Lebanon" (Shir Hashirim 3:9). The palanquin is the improvement of the lower world, WHICH IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE, by the upper world, WHICH IS BINAH.
298. ZEIR ANPIN, WHO IS THE SECRET OF THE SUPERNAL RIVER, comes down AND BESTOWS THE MOCHIN UPON MALCHUT, and turns her into a great sea, as it is written: "All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full" (Kohelet 1:7). She, MALCHUT, gathers everything and absorbs it inside herself, as it is written: "I am the tulip of the Sharon; the lily of the valleys" (Shir Hashirim 2:1). Only the place close by the great sea is called Sharon, as it absorbs all the waters of the world, discharging and absorbing THEM. And one shines by the other in well-known ways. It is then written of them: "Through wisdom is a house (Heb. bayit) built." To this alludes Bet in Beresheet. Nevertheless, the great upper house is the habitation of the world. BOTH THE SUPERNAL HOUSE, BINAH, AND THE LOWER HOUSE, WHICH IS MALCHUT, WERE BUILT THROUGH CHOCHMAH. The unattributed 'king' alludes to MALCHUT, the lower house.
300. "But the king shall rejoice in Elohim..." means that the lower world shall rejoice in the concealed upper world, that world which gives life to all AND which is called the 'Life of the King,' NAMELY THE MOCHIN OF CHOCHMAH. This is the mainstay of the house. This house builds the house of the world, REFERRING TO MALE AND FEMALE, and builds the world AS THE MOCHIN ARE COMPLETED AS FULLY REQUIRED. This is THE MEANING OF: "In the beginning (Heb. beresheet) Elohim created" (Beresheet 1:1), WHERE BERESHEET IS COMPOSED OF Bet Resheet. Resheet (beginning) is Chochmah, ALLUDING TO THE TIME WHEN MALCHUT gathers ALL THE MOCHIN into herself and becomes the great sea in order to absorb ALL THE MOCHIN.
327. "In the beginning (Heb. beresheet) Elohim created..." is the secret of: "You shall offer up a cake of the first (Heb. resheet) of your dough" (Bemidbar 15:20). This is supernal Chochmah that is CALLED Resheet. THERE IS AN ANALOGY BETWEEN THE TWO VERSES. JUST AS 'RESHEET' IN THE SECOND VERSE ALLUDES TO SUPERNAL CHOCHMAH, SO IT DOES IN THE FIRST. The letter Bet OF BERESHEET, which is derived from the Hebrew word for house, is AN ALLUSION TO the house of the world - NAMELY THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN - WHEN SHE RECEIVES THE MOCHIN OF CHOCHMAH AND BECOMES A HOUSE FOR THE HABITATION OF THE WORLD. She is irrigated WHEN SHE RECEIVES THE MOCHIN from that river which flows into her, as it is written: "And a river went out of Eden to water the garden..." (Beresheet 2:10). "And a river" that gathers everything from the supernal source, whose waters never cease to flow, waters the garden.
328. This supernal source was the first house, WHICH IS ABA AND IMA, as the letters, WHICH ARE THE VESSELS, were completed through a narrow path hidden inside it (them). From this deep source, two forces emerged, as it is written: "The heaven AND THE EARTH." It is not written 'heaven,' but rather "The (Hei) heaven," WITH HEI. THIS MEANS THAT "THE HEAVEN" COMES OUT from within that deep source, which is the most hidden of all, REFERRING TO THE ASPECT OF THE NARROW PATH IN ABA AND IMA. THE PHRASE "and the earth" MEANS THAT this river - NAMELY YISRAEL-SABA AND TEVUNAH - produced this earth.
370. Rabbi Aba opened THE DISCOURSE WITH AN EXPLANATION OF THE VERSE: "Who lays the beams of His chambers in the waters..." (Tehilim 104:3). "...the waters" refers to waters above all, NAMELY ABA AND IMA, with which he established the house THAT IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN. About this, it is written: "Through wisdom a house is built; and by understanding it is established" (Mishlei 24:3).
374. When all THE LETTERS were constructed and crowned WITH THE MOCHIN OF THE UPPER THREE SFIROT BY THEIR INCLUSION IN ABA AND IMA, the upper waters mixed with the lower waters and produced the house of the world. THE FEMALE IS CALLED THE HOUSE (HEB. BAYIT) OF THE WORLD WHEN SHE RECEIVES THE MOCHIN OF CHOCHMAH. And so the letter Bet, WHICH ALLUDES TO THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE, was first seen as the waters ascended and descended in it, until this firmament was formed and separated them. The dispute BETWEEN THE TWO COLUMNS occurred on the second day OF CREATION, the day on which Gehenom was created, which is a burning fire, BECAUSE OF THE DISCORD, as it is written: "For Hashem your Elohim is a consuming fire" (Devarim 4:24). And it will rest on the heads of the wicked.
375. Rabbi Yehuda said: From this WE LEARN THAT every disagreement for the sake of heaven is destined to last. Here was a disagreement for the sake of heaven, FOR THE SAKE OF ZEIR ANPIN WHO IS CALLED HEAVEN, and heaven was established. After this DISAGREEMENT, ON THE THIRD DAY, it is written: "And Elohim called the firmament Heaven" (Beresheet 1:8). HERE, 'CALLED' MEANS 'TO SUMMON.' The construction of THE HOUSE AND the attic, by means of the beams connecting them, is firm. THE BEAMS SERVE AS A FLOOR FOR THE ATTIC AND A CEILING FOR THE HOUSE. THUS, THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ATTIC EXIST THROUGH THE BEAMS BUT DID NOT EXIST BEFORE THEY WERE PUT IN PLACE. WITHOUT BEAMS, THERE SHALL BE NO HOUSE AND ATTIC. We have learned that the verse: "And the veil shall be for you as a division between the holy place and the most holy (Holy of Holies)" (Shemot 26:33) is precise. THE HOLY AND THE HOLY OF HOLIES WERE FORMED BY THE VEIL AND ARE PRESERVED BY IT, because THE VEIL is the firmament that divides it within, in the middle, BETWEEN THE UPPER AND LOWER WATERS.
379. THE VERSE: "And the gathering together of the waters He called seas" (Beresheet 1:10) refers to the reservoir (lit. 'the house of gathering') of above IN BINAH. All the waters gather there, and flow and go forth. Rabbi Chiya said, The "gathering together of the waters" is AN ALLUSION TO the Righteous - NAMELY YESOD OF ZEIR ANPIN - because when YESOD reaches the gathering, it is written: "And Elohim saw that it was good" (Beresheet 1:10). It is also written: "Say of the righteous, that is shall be well with him (also: 'that it is good')..." (Yeshayah 3:10). Rabbi Yosi said: Yisrael - WHO IS ZEIR ANPIN - is CALLED 'the gathering together' (Heb. mikveh) of the waters, as it is written: "O Hashem, the hope (Heb. mikveh) of Yisrael" (Yirmeyah 17:13).
401. Come and behold: Because the moon governs and shines by the power of that river that flows out OF EDEN, WHICH IS BINAH, light is added to all the heavens below ATZILUT, BRIYAH, YETZIRAH AND ASIYAH OF SEPARATION, and their hosts. Thus, the planets rule the world and cause plants and trees to grow, and everything in the world grows and multiplies. Even the water and the fish in the sea increase in numbers. Many emissaries of Judgment roam the world, because everything is full of joy and energy. IN OTHER WORDS, THESE EMISSARIES ARE STRONGER BECAUSE OF THE STRENGTH OF MALCHUT. AS A RESULT, ONE MUST BE CAREFUL THAT THEY DO NOT BRING GREATER HARM THAN BEFORE. When there is joy in the house of the King, even the guards of the gates and the roads are happy and roam about in the world. Therefore, the young children should be well guarded FROM DEMONS.