81. "And fruit tree yielding fruit" ALLUDES TO the forms of the male and female, and "as for the likeness of their faces, they had the face of a man" (Yechezkel 1:10). THE "FRUIT TREE" IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN AND "YIELDING FRUIT" IS YESOD OF ZEIR ANPIN, THE MALE THAT PUTS THE FRUIT INSIDE HER. THE MALE AND FEMALE are not like the Cherubs, WHICH ARE HINTED AT IN THE PHRASE: "HERB YIELDING SEED." THE MALE AND FEMALE have large faces with beards, whereas the Cherubs have small faces like those of babies. The face of man contains all the images, including THE LION, THE OX AND THE EAGLE, since they have large faces. The engraved images are imprinted on this large face just as the engravings of the Holy Name are imprinted in the four directions of the world: East, West, North and South.
89. According to this secret, the Holy One, blessed be He, is called "a great El, mighty and terrible." These names are engraved above by the secret of the upper Chariot, which comprises four letters OF THE NAME Yud Hei Vav Hei, which is a name that includes all THE OTHER NAMES. THE COMBINING OF THE LOWER OX WITHIN THE UPPER LION IS EQUIVALENT TO THE LETTER YUD OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, AND IS THE SECRET OF THE NAME EL. THE COMBINING OF THE LOWER LION WITHIN THE UPPER OX IS EQUIVALENT TO THE LETTER HEI AND IS THE SECRET OF THE NAME MIGHTY. THE COMBINING OF THE LOWER EAGLE WITHIN THE UPPER LION IS EQUIVALENT TO THE LETTER VAV AND IS THE SECRET OF THE NAME GREAT. AND THE FACE OF A MAN OF ABOVE, WHICH INCLUDES ALL THE LIVING CREATURES FROM BELOW THAT HAVE ASCENDED TO IT, IS EQUIVALENT TO THE LOWER HEI OF YUD HEI VAV HEI AND IS THE SECRET OF THE NAME TERRIBLE. These images, THE OX, EAGLE, LION AND MAN, are engraved and carved on the throne, WHICH IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN, and the throne is carved and decorated by them. AND THESE LIKENESSES WERE EMBROIDERED ON THE THRONE: one on the right, one on the left, one on the front and one on the back, thus corresponding to the four directions of the world. THE FACE OF THE LION IS IMPRINTED ON THE RIGHT, WHICH IS THE SOUTH WIND; THE FACE OF THE OX ON THE LEFT, WHICH IS THE NORTH WIND; THE FACE OF THE EAGLE ON THE FRONT, WHICH IS THE EAST WIND; AND THE FACE OF A MAN ON THE BACK, WHICH IS THE WEST WIND. THIS IS THE SECRET OF THE FOUR LETTERS OF YUD HEI VAV HEI.
90. When the throne, WHICH IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN, ascends TO UNITE WITH ZEIR ANPIN, it is imprinted with these four images, OX, EAGLE. LION AND MAN. These four supernal names carry the throne up TO UNITE WITH ZEIR ANPIN. And the throne, NAMELY THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE, becomes included within them DURING THE UNION. THIS MEANS THAT SHE IS COMPLETED BY AND WITH THESE NAMES. THE THRONE collects and gleans, BY ITS UNION WITH ZEIR ANPIN, souls and delightful pleasures. When it has collected and gleaned these delights and pleasures, it descends full, like a tree with branches on all sides and laden with fruit.
91. As THE THRONE descends FROM THE PLACE OF UNION TO ITS OWN PLACE, the images OF THE FOUR LIVING CREATURES come forth, each shaped in its own form and engraving, illuminating, shining and radiating. They scatter seed over the world. Thus they are called the "herb yielding seed" and "herb" ALLUDES TO THE LIVING CREATURES that sow the world with seed.
92. When the image of a man, which includes all the other images, issues forth, it is described as "fruit tree yielding fruit after its kind" (Beresheet 1:11). BECAUSE MAN IS BOTH MALE AND FEMALE, "THE FRUIT TREE" IS THE FEMALE AND "YIELDING FRUIT" APPLIES TO THE MALE. THE PHRASE: "Whose seed is in itself, upon the earth" (Ibid.) TEACHES US THAT he emitted his seed for the benefit of the earth alone. So THE PHRASE: "Whose seed is in itself" is purposely said TO TEACH US THAT man should not emit his seed in vain.
95. Every night WHEN A MAN SLEEPS, his spirit removes the covering and ascends. This fire that consumes fire, NAMELY THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN, consumes AND BURNS this SPIRIT. Later, THE SPIRITS are resurrected and reshaped in their coverings as before. Because of this, THE SPIRITS have no permanent existence, as do the images above, WHICH IS A REFERENCE TO THE ANGELS OF THE "HERB," BUT ARE BURNED AND THEN RENEWED AS BEFORE. About this, it is written: "They are new every morning" (Eichah 3:23), WHICH REFERS TO THE SPIRITS OF human beings, which are renewed daily. What is the purpose of this renewal? THE VERSE CONCLUDES: "GREAT IS YOUR FAITHFULNESS" (IBID.), SO IT IS GREAT AND NOT SMALL.
97. On this day, THE THIRD DAY, it is written twice "that it was good" (Beresheet 1:10, 12). This day is associated with two sides, THE RIGHT COLUMN AND THE LEFT COLUMN. It told each side "that it was good," thereby reconciling the discord between them. This is why THE PHRASE "And...said" appears twice in it. Herein lies the secret of the name that is formed with the four letters, YUD HEI VAV HEI inscribed and engraved. These can add up to twelve letters that represent the four images on all four sides of the holy throne, WHICH IS THE FEMALE PRINCIPLE OF ZEIR ANPIN.
158. All those supernal lights exist in their images below on earth. They are all suspended from the firmament of heaven TO SHINE ON THE EARTH BELOW, AS IT IS WRITTEN: "AND ELOHIM SET THEM IN THE FIRMAMENT OF HEAVEN TO GIVE LIGHT UPON THE EARTH" (BERESHEET 1:17). THE WORDS: "THE GREAT LUMINARIES" contain the secret of the two names combined as one. After a third name is added, they become one again, one corresponding to the other. It is an inscribed and engraved name, in which they are included according to the secret of the Faith.
240. At that time, IT IS SAID, "And Hashem Elohim formed man..." (Beresheet 2:7), WHICH REFERS TO Yisrael, whom the Holy One, blessed be He, formed in the images of this world and of the World to Come. The word "formed (Heb. vayyitzer)" IS SPELLED WITH TWO YUD'S, WHICH MEANS THAT at that time, the Holy One, blessed be He, shall put them -YISRAEL - into his name by putting the letter Vav in between the two Yud's. Together, they have the same numerical value as Yud Hei Vav Hei, NAMELY TWENTY-SIX. The two Yud's will be formed on his face and on the faces OF YISRAEL, UPON THEIR CHEEKBONES and the letter Vav is their nose.
242. Furthermore, he drew the images of all the generations by his supernal spouse, who is Yud-Hei. They were symbolized by the letter Vav, which unites them both. And he formed them AND POURED BOUNTY UPON THEM with those images of above. THE SECRET OF ZEIR ANPIN, which is CALLED Yisrael, is the central pillar that comprises the upper and lower Shechinah. These are the reading of Sh'ma in Arvit and the reading of Sh'ma in Shacharit. Of them, it is written: "bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh" (Beresheet 2:23).