171. Come and see that the Yud י at the beginning OF THE NAME, YUD HEI VAV HEI, includes it all. It is concealed on all sides, and no paths open WITHIN IT. It encompasses male and female, NAMELY THE SUPERNAL ABA AND IMA, AS THE YUD IS THE SECRET OF ABA AND TWO LETTERS OF THE YUD FULLY SPELLED - NAMELY VAV AND DALET - ARE IMA. THEY ARE CONCEALED AND UNOPENED. The tip at the top of the Yud hints at naught, MEANING KETER CALLED SO, SINCE THERE IS NO CONCEIVING IT. Afterwards, the Yud, THE SECRET OF EDEN, issued from itself that river that continually flows out, NAMELY BINAH. From it, Hei will conceive WITH A SON AND A DAUGHTER, WHICH ARE VAV AND DALET. ITS SHAPE HINTS AT ZEIR ANPIN AND MALCHUT AS EMBRYOS WITHIN IT, IN THE SHAPE OF DALET AND VAV. Of this HEI, it is written, "And a river went (lit. 'goes') out of Eden" (Beresheet 2:10). IT IS WRITTEN "goes out," MEANING CONTINUOUSLY FLOWING, not 'went out,' IN THE PAST TENSE. For this reason, THE HEI need not part FROM THE YUD. As a result, it is written, "my love" (Shir Hashirim 4:1) IN RELATION TO HEI, WHICH IS WITH YUD AS TWO FRIENDS THAT NEVER PART FROM ONE ANOTHER.
224. We have learned that "for on that day will He forgive you" (Ibid.). HE WONDERS WHY IT SAYS, "On that day," when it should read 'that day.' HE ANSWERS, "On that day" is correct, as Atika Kadisha, MEANING KETER, is revealed in it to forgive everyone's sins.
332. He said to him: When things depend upon repentance and people do not repent, the sublime Hei OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, BEING BINAH, takes and attracts the Vav and the Yud to itself, as they are not repenting. It then BECOMES A COMBINATION OF HEI-VAV-YUD called Hoy, MEANING Hoy (lit. 'ah'), when the King, ZEIR ANPIN, departs higher and higher TO BINAH. People cry but no one pays attention. SOMETIMES, that supernal concealed NAME, EHEYEH, DENOTING KETER, raises the Vav, ZEIR ANPIN, and the Yud, BEING THE HEAD OF YESOD, to itself, because one's prayer is not accepted, AND IT BECOMES THE COMBINATION OY (ALEPH VAV YUD). Then it is called Oy, as the Aleph THAT IS EHEYEH brings up to it the Vav and the Yud. Then repentance is not available, so the Hei departs from these letters, as it is no longer dependent on repentance, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF BINAH CALLED HEI.
333. Surely this is when sins in the world multiply excessively. At first, repentance was available but they did not want TO REPENT, then the Hei takes off, BEING BINAH, THE SECRET OF REPENTANCE and the Aleph, BEING KETER, raises the Vav Yud to it, so it is now called Oy. When the Temple was destroyed and repentance was gone, then they cried and said, "Woe (Oy) to us! For the day declines" (Yirmeyah 6:4). What is meant by "For the day declines?" It refers to the supernal day, MEANING BINAH called repentance, which departed and is not available. This is that specific day that extends its right hand to welcome evildoers. It has departed from all and is not available. Therefore, they say Oy instead of Hoy "for the shadows of the evening are lengthened" (Ibid.), MEANING PERMISSION has been granted to the rulers over other nations to rule over YISRAEL.
334. We have learned that the Vav, DENOTING ZEIR ANPIN, ascended high up TO KETER, BEING THE SECRET OF ALEPH, AS MENTIONED. The sanctuary was consumed, the people exiled, the Queen expelled, and the Temple was in ruins. Later, as the Vav returned to its position, it took notice of the Temple and found it in ruins. It sought the Queen , but she moved far away. It saw its sanctuary, but it was consumed by fire, and it looked for the people but they were exiled. It saw the blessings of the deep streams FROM BINAH that were flowing, but now ceased. Then it is written, "And on that day did Adonai Elohim Tzevaot call to weeping, and to mourning, and to baldness, and to girding with sackcloth" (Yeshayah 22:12). Then, "I clothe the heavens, ZEIR ANPIN, with blackness."
389. Rabbi Shimon said to Rabbi Elazar: Come and see that these 22 letters engraved in the Torah are all explained in the ten sayings, THE TEN SFIROT - KETER, CHOCHMAH, BINAH, CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD, YESOD AND MALCHUT. Each and every saying of these ten, the Sfirot of the King, are engraved by certain letters, IN AS MUCH AS THE LETTERS ARE THE SECRET OF THE VESSELS OF THE SFIROT AND EACH SFIRAH HAS ITS OWN SPECIAL VESSELS. For this reason, the Holy Name, YUD HEI VAV HEI, is enveloped with other letters, MEANING WITH ADONAI, AS THE VESSELS OF ZEIR ANPIN, THE SECRET OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, ARE CLOTHED AND ENVELOPED WITH THE VESSELS OF MALCHUT, THE SECRET OF ADONAI. Each saying lends letters to the saying above it, as one is included in the other. Therefore, we pronounce the Holy Name YUD HEI VAV HEI with the other letters OF ADONAI, as they are covered AND DRESSED one with the other until they are connected together.
408. Rabbi Shimon said: It is written, "And it shall come to pass, that every new moon, and every Shabbat..." (Yeshayah 66:23). HE QUESTIONS: Why are they compared, MEANING WHY ARE BOTH CONSIDERED TOGETHER IN THE VERSE? HE ANSWERS: All pertain to one level and the one is united with the other. SHABBAT, BEING ZEIR ANPIN, IS UNITED WITH THE NEW MOON, DENOTING MALCHUT. There is no joy of one in the other, WHEN THEY ARE NOT UNITED. Only when Atika Kadisha, KETER, is revealed TO THEM, is there universal joy. We have learned that it is written, "A psalm, a poem for the Shabbat day" (Tehilim 92:1). It is expressly for the Shabbat day, ZEIR ANPIN, THE SECRET OF THE SHABBAT DAY, denoting the praise which the Holy One, blessed be He, recites. Then is found joy and an additional soul, due to the fact that Atika was revealed and the union OF ZEIR ANPIN AND MALCHUT is occurring.