16. MESSIAH leaves the SECOND chamber and enters the third. Here are found all those who suffered, FOR THE PURPOSE OF BEING MADE WHOLE, more severe illnesses and greater misfortunes THAN THOSE IN THE SECOND CHAMBER. THIS IS WHY THEY HAVE MERITED A PLACE IN THE THIRD CHAMBER. AND THIS IS THE FIRST TYPE OF SOUL FOUND IN THE CHAMBER. THE SECOND TYPE OF SOUL IN THIS CHAMBER IS THAT OF children who did not live their full lives, WHO DIED BEFORE THEIR TIME, AND THUS DID NOT SIN. SUCH PURE SOULS ASCEND AS MAYIN NUKVIN (FEMALE WATERS), AND ATTRACT THE LIGHTS OF THE SECOND CHAMBER. THE THIRD TYPE OF SOUL IN THE CHAMBER IS THAT OF those who mourn the destruction of the Temple and who shed tears, THEREBY DRAWING DOWN THE LIGHTS OF THE TOP THREE SFIROT INTO THIS CHAMBER. All THREE TYPES OF RIGHTEOUS SOULS reside in this chamber AND MESSIAH consoles them, WHICH MEANS THAT HE BESTOWS ON THEM THEIR LIGHTS.
17. He leaves the third and enters the fourth chamber, BECAUSE AFTER BEING COMPLETED WITH ALL THE LIGHTS OF THE THIRD CHAMBER, HE CAN NOW ENTER THE CHAMBER OF TIFERET. In this chamber are all of the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem and all of those murdered by idolatrous nations. And WHEN MESSIAH SEES THEM he breaks down in tears and cries. Then all the princes that are descended from David hold him and comfort him.
195. Come and behold: When the children of Yisrael bless and call the Tabernacle of Peace, the 'Holy Guest' - WHICH ONLY APPEARS ON SHABBAT AND IS AN INFREQUENT GUEST - they say, "He who spreads the Tabernacle of Peace." Then the supernal sanctity comes down, spreads its wings over Yisrael, and covers them as a mother covers her children. And all evil leaves the world, and Yisrael remain under the holiness of their Master. Consequently, this Tabernacle of Peace gives new souls to its children. HE ASKS: What is the reason IT GIVES NEW SOULS TO YISRAEL? AND HE ANSWERS, Souls dwell in and issue from it, BECAUSE IT IS BINAH. And because THIS TABERNACLE OF PEACE dwells upon and spreads its wings over its children, it sheds new souls upon each and every one of them.
224. And you may ask if the sojourner is not both male and female, will the Shechinah then leave him? Come and behold: He who goes on a journey should pray to the Holy One, blessed be He, BEFORE HE LEAVES, so as to draw upon himself his Master's Shechinah, when still at home and still both male and female. And when he has prayed and praised, and the Shechinah rests upon him, then he can go on his way. Now that the Shechinah is with him, he can be male and female both in the city (THAT IS, AT HOME) and in the field (ON HIS JOURNEY), BECAUSE THE SHECHINAH IS JOINED TO HIM. This is the meaning of, "Righteousness shall go before him," WITH RIGHTEOUSNESS REPRESENTING THE SHECHINAH, "and then he shall place his footsteps on the way" (Tehilim 85:14).
311. "And they sewed fig leaves together" (Beresheet 3:7). From these words, we learn that they learned all types of magical spells and sorcery and that they cleaved onto the lower one, WHICH IS THE OTHER SIDE, as was explained. Consequently, the height of Adam was reduced to 100 cubits, and a separation BETWEEN ZEIR ANPIN AND THE NUKVA was effected. Now, Adam lived under Judgment, and the earth was cursed, as has been explained.
330. This is what is meant by the verse: "who knows the spirit of THE SONS OF man." For when MAN cleaves to the right, THE LIGHT HE DRAWS FROM BELOW ascends UPWARD. And when a man is bound to the left - THE LEFT SIDE - which is the spirit of defilement, he descends AND DRAWS LIGHT downward from above. It resides with that man and never leaves him. The child born to him, while he is so defiled, is considered the child of the unclean spirit.
379. Rabbi Yehuda said: They started TO RADIATE again FROM ABOVE downward, WHICH IS THE LIGHT OF RUACH. THUS, HE DISAGREED WITH RABBI YOSI, WHO MAINTAINED THAT THEY ONLY SHONE FROM BELOW UPWARD, WHICH IS THE LIGHT OF NEFESH, BEFORE THE TORAH WAS GIVEN. And in each and every generation BEFORE THE GIVING OF THE TORAH, the world was manipulating those two letters, and they could not settle in their appropriate place. Only when Torah was given to Yisrael was everything established. Rabbi Elazar said that at the time of Enosh, people were skilled in magic and divination and in the wisdom of controlling the heavenly forces, SO THAT THESE FORCES SHOULD NOT HAVE AFFECTED THE WORLD. When Adam left the Garden of Eden and brought out with him the wisdom of the fig leaves (WHICH IS WITCHCRAFT), there was no one to use this knowledge, because Adam, his wife, and all those born from them, until Enosh came, stayed clear of this KNOWLEDGE AND DID NOT USE IT.
380. But when Enosh came, he saw those FIG LEAVES that their wisdom contradicts the holy beings, THAT IS, IT DENIES HOLINESS. Then, people once again practiced magic and sorcery, and they shared their knowledge WITH OTHERS. This wisdom spread widely in the generation of the flood, when magic and sorcery were practiced for evil purposes.
397. From where DO WE KNOW THAT THE SHECHINAH LEAVES BECAUSE OF THIS SIN? From Jacob. For when the Shechinah left him, he concluded that there was a defect in his sons AS A RESULT OF THEIR INDULGENCE IN THE ABOVE MENTIONED SIN. Because of this sin, he concluded, the spirit of defilement was strengthened in the world and the light of the moon, WHICH IS THE NUKVA OF ZEIR ANPIN, was impaired and rendered defective. FOR THIS REASON, THE SHECHINAH WAS GONE FROM HIM. One might wonder why HE THOUGHT SO. It is because this SIN defiled the Temple, and hence the Shechinah left Jacob, EVEN THOUGH HE HIMSELF DID NOT SIN. One who actually defiles his ways and himself gives all the more strength to the unclean spirit. Consequently, when he is defiled, he is called ra (evil).
398. Come and behold: when a man is defiled BY THE ABOVE MENTIONED SIN, he is not remembered by the Holy One, for merit, and he is constantly remembered by THE SPIRIT OF DEFILEMENT, called 'evil', for evil. HENCE, THE SHECHINAH LEAVES HIM AS SOON AS HE IS VISITED BY THE SPIRIT OF DEFILEMENT. Thus, it is said, "he that has it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil" (Mishlei 19:23), MEANING THAT he who follows the right path AND DOES NOT FALL PREY TO THE ABOVE MENTIONED SIN "shall not be visited with evil. Thus, it is written: "Only evil all day" and also, "nor shall evil dwell with You" (Tehilim 5:5), and they are called 'evil' and not 'wicked.' Also, it is written: "even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall not fear evil, for You are with me" (Tehilim 23:4). THIS IS BECAUSE IT ALSO WORKS THE OTHER WAY: IF THE SHECHINAH IS ACCOMPANYING A MAN, HE NEED NOT FEAR THE SPIRIT OF DEFILEMENT, AS IT IS WRITTEN: "I SHALL NOT FEAR EVIL, FOR YOU ARE WITH ME." JUST AS THE SHECHINAH FLEES DEFILEMENT, SO DEFILEMENT FLEES FROM THE SHECHINAH.
413. Come and behold: No one leaves this world without seeing Adam. Adam asks him for what reason he left this world and how HIS SOUL departed. Each person replies, "Woe to you that because of you I had to die," BECAUSE IT WAS AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THE SIN OF THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE THAT DEATH WAS DECREED UPON THE WORLD. ADAM then replies, "My son, I have transgressed one commandment, and have been punished because of it. Yet look at yourself. How many sins and how many transgressions on the precepts of your Master have you committed?"