6. Another explanation for, "After the death of the two sons of Aaron." Rabbi Yosi said: It should have read, 'After the death of Nadab and Abihu,' so what is the reason THAT IT SAYS, "The two sons of Aaron?" It is obvious that they were his sons. HE ANSWERS: We have learned that until that time they were not adults but still under the authority of their father; CONSEQUENTLY, THE VERSE REFERS TO THEM AS THE SONS OF AARON. Hence, "when they came near before Hashem, and died" (Vayikra 16:1), they were rushing the time OF OFFERING INCENSE during the lifetime of their father, AS IS INDICATED LATER, and there was more, MEANING OTHER CAUSES PRECIPITATED THEIR DEATH. ALSO, because of the sin they committed "when they offered a foreign fire" (Bemidbar 3:4) as we learned, in one place it is written, "When they offered a foreign fire," AND FOR THIS REASON THEY DIED. In another place, it is written, "When they came near before Hashem," THEY DIED BECAUSE THEY SACRIFICED, BECAUSE THEY RUSHED THE TIME TO BURN INCENSE DURING THE LIFETIME OF THEIR FATHER, AS MENTIONED ABOVE. THIS MEANS THE COMBINATION OF both matters CAUSED THEIR DEATHS, and so it is written here, "The two sons of Aaron" TO TEACH THAT THEY WERE STILL UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF AARON, AS DECLARED ABOVE. It is written, "When they came near," FOR THE DEATH WAS AS A RESULT OF THEIR APPROACH BEFORE HASHEM, DURING THE LIFETIME OF THEIR FATHER.
9. Furthermore, they said: Every time that the righteous depart this world, there is likewise annulled from this world all the harsh decrees, and the death of the righteous brings forgiveness for the sins of the generation. Therefore, we read the portion dealing with the sons of Aaron on Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) to bring forgiveness for the sins of Yisrael. The Holy One, blessed be He, says, 'Contemplate the death of these pious ones, and it will be accredited for you, as if you offered sacrifice this day to attain forgiveness.' We have learned that as long as Yisrael will be in exile and neither be able to offer offerings on this day nor will they be able to offer the two goats, they will at least have the memory of the two sons of Aaron. Thus, it will serve as atonement for them.
26. HE QUESTIONS: What is apparent here, MEANING WHAT IS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN A FOREIGN FIRE TO A FOREIGN WOMAN? HE ANSWERS: At the beginning, they brought near TO THE HOLINESS something that was far removed FROM HOLINESS AND DEFILED THE HOLINESS, as it is written, "When they offered a foreign fire." Here too, Zimri COMMITTED THE VERY SAME SIN in that he brought near THAT which was far FROM HOLINESS (NAMELY, THE FOREIGN WOMAN TO THE HOLINESS) BECAUSE he brought near the name of the King, THE SIGN OF THE HOLY COVENANT, to the distant one - NAMELY, THE FOREIGN WOMAN. Immediately, "When Pinchas, the son of Elazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation" (Bemidbar 25:7). At this point, he corrected the earlier crookedness. Then the Yud was added to his name to enjoin the letters together, THE SECRET OF YESOD THAT CONNECTS ZEIR ANPIN WITH MALCHUT. Thus, he was promised peace, WHICH IS YESOD REFERRED TO AS PEACE, as it is written, "Wherefore say, Behold, I give to him My covenant of peace" (Ibid. 12), My very covenant, NAMELY YESOD.
29. We also learn from here that every person who has afflictions visited upon him from his Master, they serve as atonement for sins. All who have distress for affliction brought upon the just will have their sins pass away from this world. For this reason, on this day, YOM KIPPUR, we read about, "After the death of the two sons of Aaron" so that the congregation listens and feels distress for the pious who were lost and thus the congregation have their sins forgiven. Of him, who feels sorrow for the righteous who perished, or sheds tears for them, the Holy One, blessed be He, announces, "And your iniquity is taken away, and your sin is purged" (Yeshayah 6:7). Furthermore, he is reassured that his children will not die during his lifetime and it is written about him, "He shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days" (Yeshayah 53:10).
41. Rabbi Shimon said: We have ascertained that something in its due season IS EXCELLENT. This is sure. At this point, the Holy One, blessed be He, came to warn Aaron not to err with the same sin with which his sons erred. This due season is well known TO BE MALCHUT. For this reason, he must not err by joining a different time to the King. This is the meaning of the verse, "That he come not at all times into the holy place." Even when he will see that the time is given over to another, NAMELY THE OTHER SIDE, to run the world, IT SHOULD BE given over to its hands in order to enjoin and bring the world near to holiness, as I and My Name are one, SINCE EVEN THE OTHER SIDE SERVES ONLY ME. For this reason, "that he come not at all times (or: 'with every time') into the holy place." If he wishes to know with what he should approach, the answer is with zot (Eng. 'this' fem.), WHICH IS MALCHUT OF HOLINESS, "With this (Heb. zot fem.) shall Aaron come into the holy place" (Vayikra 16:3). This zot is the time that holds to My name through Yud, WHICH IS YESOD, that is imprinted in My name AND WITH IT he may come into the holy place, not at all times, but "he comes not at all times."
44. He replies that it is written, "That he come not at all times into the holy place." Another verse reads, "Thus (Heb. with zot) shall Aaron come into the holy place." HE QUESTIONS: If the verse stated "that he will not come at all times," why doesn't it write at what time he may come? IT SHOULD READ THAT ON THE TENTH OF THE MONTH, HE SHALL COME INTO THE HOLY PLACE, BUT INSTEAD IT SAYS, "THUS SHALL AARON COME INTO THE HOLY PLACE," YET GIVES NO EXPLICIT TIME. He said to him: Elazar, we learned that it is the same word and same time, FOR TIME AND ZOT ARE THE SAME WORD, NAMELY BOTH ARE NAMES OF MALCHUT, which the priests knew. But in relation to his sons sinning, the Holy One, blessed be He, wanted to admonish here, NAMELY, THAT HE SHOULD NOT DAMAGE THIS TIME WHICH IS MALCHUT AS HIS SONS DID. We have already learned this. He replied: I also thought so, but I wanted TO HEAR THIS FROM YOU in order to reconcile this matter.
84. Because of this, the priest needs to meditate upon sublime matters, to unify the Holy Name from that place that requires unity, MEANING TO DRAW IN THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH ONLY TO MALCHUT. Therefore, we learned that it is written, "Thus (with zot) shall Aaron come into the holy place" (Vayikra 16:3). Through zot, DENOTING MALCHUT, he needs to bring holiness near its place AND TO EXPEL THE OTHER SIDE, WHICH DESIRES TO DRAW FROM HER THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH FROM ABOVE DOWNWARD. From this place, FROM MALCHUT, man needs to fear the Holy One, blessed be He, MEANING THAT WITH THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH THAT IS REVEALED AT MALCHUT HARSH JUDGMENTS THAT PUNISH THE WICKED AND MOVE THE OTHER SIDE FAR AWAY ARE ALSO REVEALED. AS A RESULT, ONE FEARS HER. About this, it is written, "O that they were wise, that they understood this (Heb. zot)" (Devarim 32:29). Immediately, "they would consider their latter end" (Ibid.). This means that if people would look at the penalty AND SEE how ZOT, NAMELY MALCHUT, is united together with her hosts, MEANING SHE GIVES LIGHT TO THEM ONLY FROM THE ASPECT OF BELOW UPWARDS, and how all these members of the hosts, who are attached to her to serve her were appointed before her to punish and repay the wicked, WHO WISH TO DRAW DOWN HER LIGHT FROM ABOVE DOWNWARDS, immediately "they will understand their latter end" and pay attention to their deeds and not sin before the Holy King.
115. We have learned that Yisrael has a more fortunate share than the idolatrous nations, as the Holy One, blessed be He, desired to purify them and have mercy for them as they are His portion and inheritance. It is written, "For Hashem's portion is His people..." (Devarim 32:9) and "He made him ride on the high places of the earth" (Ibid. 13). "On the high places" exactly, as they join up higher and higher WITH ZEIR ANPIN. Therefore, the love of the Holy One, blessed be He, is clinging to them, as it is written, "'I have loved you,' says Hashem" (Malachi 1:2) and, "But because Hashem loved you" (Devarim 7:8). From this excessive love, He gave them one day during the year to purify them and clear them from their sins, as it is written, "for on that day..." (Vayikra 16:30). This was in order that they may be meritorious in this world and in the World to Come, and that no sin may be found in them. Consequently on this day, Yisrael are crowned and rule over the prosecutors and all spirits.
117. This GOAT comes out and roams around the world. It finds Yisrael performing various kinds of worship on various levels and a variety of good practices and it cannot overcome them. Among them all, peace reigns and the goat cannot commence to slander them, MEANING TO INSTIGATE AGAINST THEM. This goat is sent with the burden of all the sins of Yisrael.
119. Come and see not only this alone, but everywhere that Yisrael need to cleanse themselves their sin, the Holy One, blessed be He, gives them a plan to bind the accusers, SO THEY WILL NOT ACCUSE. It is also to pacify them through the means of sacrifices and burnt offerings that they offer before the Holy One, blessed be He. From then on, they are unable to cause harm and on that day, YOM KIPPUR, more than any other day, just as Yisrael below plead everyone delight, THROUGH THE TWO GOATS, so they all accusers. All of this is as a result of the sacrifice and the service of the Holy One, blessed be He.
122. "And confess over him all the iniquities" (Ibid.) is similar to "that he shall confess that he has sinned in that thing (lit. 'over her')" (Vayikra 5:5). We established that "over her" means that the person becomes cleansed and that sin rests on her, ON THE SHEEP. So also here "and confess over him," implies that after the priest makes a confession on behalf of Yisrael over him, ALL THE SINS will rest "over him."
129. We have learned this person would go WITH THE GOAT to the desert. When he arrived there with the goat, he would ascend the mountains, push the goat off with both hands and it would not even reach halfway through the mountain when its limbs would fall apart. That man would say: So may be blotted all the sins of Your people. THROUGH THIS, the prosecutors would turn to defend Yisrael. Then would the Holy One, blessed be He, take all sins of Yisrael, and all that is written with the verdicts on high, which mention the sins of men. And He would cast them out in this manner, AS THE GOAT WAS CAST OFF FROM THE MOUNTAIN, to a place called the depths of the sea, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF A PLACE OF DARKNESS AND OF THE JUDGMENTS OF THE LEFT THAT IS BENEATH MALCHUT THAT IS CALLED SEA. This is the meaning of the verse, "And You will cast all their sins into the depths of the sea" (Michah 7:19).
130. We have learned that "And he shall take from the congregation, of the children of Yisrael two kids of the goats for a sin offering" (Vayikra 16:5). THE VERSE SAYS, "from the congregation." THIS IS TO TEACH that they should buy it with everyone's MONEY, and atonement will thus come to all, as all sins of Yisrael are impending here and all will attain atonement from this act. THEREFORE, it is not enough TO TAKE MONEY from one person. From where is it taken? The money is taken from the public fund boxes in the sanctuary, and they bring THE GOATS with this money, which is the contributed property of everyone.
131. They make from the outset a sin offering of the other goat that remained before the Holy One, blessed be He, and we have already established to which place it is attached. Afterwards, they are sacrificed and all things become better, and Yisrael remain in the clear before the Holy One, blessed be He, from all sins committed. This is the essence of the verse, "For on that day will He forgive you..." (Vayikra 16:29).
132. Rabbi Shimon said, "And Jacob said to Rivkah his mother, Behold, Esau my brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth man" (Beresheet 27:11). What is this statement hinting at? Surely, Esau was a hairy (Heb. sa'ir) man, of him that is called goat (Heb. seir), WHICH IS THE OTHER SIDE, as it comes from the same aspect. "And I am a smooth (Heb. chalak) man," MEANING a man WHO WAS GIVEN (HEB. NECHELAK) from what He allotted (Heb. chalak) to the ministers of the other nations, as it is written, "Which Hashem your Elohim has allotted to all the nations" (Devarim 4:19) and, "For Hashem's portion (Hbe. chelek) is His people" (Devarim 32:9). Furthermore, "a smooth man" MEANS the two goats WERE PARTED and there remained one PORTION, which the priest divided (Heb. chilek). One went to the portion OF JACOB and one for the Holy One, blessed be He. Why? In order that THE GOAT carry upon its shoulders all Jacob's sins, as it is written, "And the goat shall bear upon it all their iniquities (Heb. avonotam)" (Vaykira 16:22). THESE COMPRISE THE LETTERS, Avonot (Eng. 'sins') tam (lit. 'a perfect man'), REFERRING TO THE SINS OF JACOB KNOWN AS THE PERFECT MAN.
133. We have learned that numerous doors opened before Yisrael on this day to receive their prayers. How fortunate is the lot of Yisrael that the Holy One, blessed be He, wishes to give them merit and to purify them. This is what the verse says, "For on that day will He forgive you..." On this day, the priest is bedecked with numerous crowns. On this day, the service of the priest is full of glory and far greater than on any other service. Everyone was given a share of these sacrifices to the Holy One, blessed be He. On this day Chesed is crowned in the world by the priest, who offers sacrifices for the sins of the people. First, HE OFFERED for his own sins and afterward for the sins of the people. He offered burnt offerings for himself and the nation. We have already established these matters.
134. Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd). It is commanded that the High Priest should perform the service of that day as need be, and should dispatch the goat to Azazel. The secret is as you said, in order THAT THE OTHER SIDE be separated from the Holy Nation and not make demands for their sins before the King. He should not accuse them, as he has neither strength nor authority but when anger is intensified above. With this gift OF THE GOAT TO AZAZEL, he is then converted to be their guardian. As a result he is banished from before the King. We established that this is so, because he represents the end of all flesh.
138. It is written, "And confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Yisrael" (Vayikra 16:21) and "the goat shall bear upon it all their iniquities" (Ibid. 22). When THE OTHER SIDE sees this goat, his desire towards it IS AROUSED to be with it, and he does not know which of the sins the goat took upon himself. He then returns to Yisrael and sees that they are free and clear of sins and blemishes, as all sins are upon the head of the goat. He ascends and praises them before the Holy One, blessed be He. The Holy One, blessed be He, pays attention to the testimony of the accuser and, since His desire is to have mercy on His people, He extends mercy to Yisrael even though He is aware of all that transpired.
139. The entire REMEDY depends upon this, not to arouse the secret of the Judgment on high and thus intensify this Judgment to annihilate mankind. All this can come from harsh Judgment. If this JUDGMENT is awakened, it is awakened by the sins of mankind, since it is aroused to ascend high up to instigate the harsh Judgment only if it is as a result of the sins of mankind. When a person commits a sin, it gathers and joins other thousands who assist it. They assemble there and take it so as to bring it up. May the Merciful One protect us. For all of this, The Holy One, blessed be He, gave counsel to Yisrael to be save in every aspect, as it is written: "Happy is the people, that is in such a case: Happy is that people, whose Elohim is Hashem" (Tehilim 144:15). End of Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd).
143. As they were sitting, someone arrived and said that the wife of Rabbi Shimon was healed from her illness. The friends heard a proclamation that the Holy One, blessed be He, forgave the sins of the generation. Rabbi Shimon said: Now was fulfilled the verse, "good news from a far country" which gives satisfaction "as cold water to a thirsty soul." He said to them: Let us rise and go as the Holy One, blessed be He, is performing for us miracles.
181. It is apparent that perfection above and below depend on the priest. If his Sfirah is awakened, all are awakened and perfection is present. Therefore, it is written, "And he shall make atonement for the holy place." At first, "he shall make atonement for the holy place," MEANING to increase peace in the world and multiply joy in the world. When there is the joy of the joining of the King and Queen, all courtiers of the palace and all that serve show joy. All sins done before the King are atoned for, as it is written, "That you may be clean from all your sins before Hashem" (Ibid. 30). For this reason, it is written, "And there shall be no man in the Tent of Meeting when he goes in to make atonement in the holy place, until he comes out" (Ibid. 17). This is at the time when he enters to join them. At that hour, when the King and Queen are joined, he will "have made atonement for himself, and for his household" (Ibid.).
194. The voice, NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN, THE CENTRAL COLUMN, joins with the priest, MEANING THE PRIEST BECOMES A CHARIOT TO ZEIR ANPIN. He says to them, "That you may be clean" (Vayikra 16:30). BEING A CHARIOT TO THE CENTRAL COLUMN, HE CAN BRING ON THEM THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH THAT BRINGS FORGIVENESS OF SINS AND CLEANSING. Neither the people nor any other priest say, "That you may be clean," except the High Priest when the voice is attached to him, MEANING ZEIR ANPIN. THEN HE IS CAPABLE OF BRINGING ATONEMENT ON THEM AND HE PROCLAIMS "THAT YOU MAY BE CLEAN."
195. We have learned "from all your sins before Hashem" (Ibid.). HE QUESTIONS: If he already wrote, "TO CLEANSE YOU from all your sins," why WRITE "before Hashem THAT YOU MAY BE CLEAN?" Rabbi Yitzchak said, "THAT YOU MAY BE CLEAN...before (lit. 'in the face of') Hashem," MEANING THE ILLUMINATION OF THE FACE OF HASHEM. AS THE ILLUMINATION OF HASHEM'S FACE IS THE SECRET OF THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH, ACCORDING TO THE SECRET MEANING OF THE VERSE, "A MAN'S WISDOM MAKES HIS FACE TO SHINE" (KOHELET 8:1). IT ATONES FOR SINS AND BRINGS CLEANSING.
196. We have learned that from the new moon, MEANING ROSH HASHANAH (THE JEWISH NEW YEAR), the books are opened and the judges judge. The courts start to judge daily until that day known as the ninth day of the month. On that day, all judicial decisions go up to the judge. They prepare a supernal throne of Mercy for the Holy King. On this day, Yisrael need to rejoice in joy before their Master who will on the second day be sitting on His throne of Mercy for them, His throne of absolution MEANING FORGIVENESS OF SINS.
197. All these books are open before Him and are recorded before Him all these sins. He credits them and cleanses them from all sins. This is the essence of the verse, "From all your sins before Hashem, that you may be clean." "Before Hashem" literally; THIS REFERS TO THE ILLUMINATION OF THE FACE OF HASHEM, THE SECRET OF THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH WHICH FORGIVES ALL SIN. Those that recite this verse only to this point are permitted to do so, NAMELY UNTIL "BEFORE HASHEM" but no more, as no one else is permitted to announce "that you may be clean" but the High Priest ALONE, who performs the service and unifies the Holy Name. When he unifies THE HOLY NAME and the blessing is in his mouth, that voice, NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN, comes down, strikes him and causes the word to glow in the mouth of the priest, and he says, "That you may be clean." He performs his service and thus the rest of the supernal beings are blessed.
201. After he completes HIS PRAYER, the Cherubs raise their wings as before and sing. At that point, the priest realizes that goodwill prevails, a time of joy for all. The people know that his prayer was accepted, as the verse reads, "Though your sins be like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow" (Yeshayah 1:18). THE PRIEST steps back and utters his prayer. How fortunate is the share of the priest. As a result of him, there is joy upon joy that day on high and low. Concerning that hour, it is written, "Happy are those people that are in such a case: happy are those people, whose Elohim is Hashem" (Tehilim 144:15).
213. At that time, She is opened to give birth to the Messiah. This is owing to the pain and distress of the pious, men of good qualities, sages of secrets of the Torah, people of humility and shame, of fear and love, of kindness, men of valor, fearing Elohim, truthful men, who despise bribes, for whom it is a time of poverty. This is what the sages of the Mishnah have explained. In the times in which the son of David will come, a valiant men will go circulating from city to city but will not be shown favor. Those that fear sin will be despised and the wisdom of scribes will be sullied. Truth will be absent and the vine will give its fruit but wine will be expensive.
223. "You shall afflict your souls..." (Vayikra 16:29). It says "your souls" in order that Yisrael be found meritorious before the Holy King, and meet with the goodwill of the Holy One, blessed be He. They must cling to Him in order that all their sins may be forgiven. Therefore, whoever eats and drinks on the ninth day and pleasures his soul with food and drink will find himself with the affliction on the tenth day doubled, and it will be considered as if he fasted on the ninth and tenth. "Your souls" includes all, body and soul, to surrender on this day in order to have atonement for sins.
224. We have learned that "for on that day will He forgive you" (Ibid.). HE WONDERS WHY IT SAYS, "On that day," when it should read 'that day.' HE ANSWERS, "On that day" is correct, as Atika Kadisha, MEANING KETER, is revealed in it to forgive everyone's sins.
237. We have learned that on that day, all joy and every light and every indulgence in the worlds, NAMELY FORGIVENESS OF SINS, all depend on supernal Ima. All springs are drawn and flow from it, MEANING BOTH THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH AND THE ILLUMINATION OF CHASSADIM. Then all these candles glow, BEING THE SECRET OF THE LIGHTS OF THE FIRE WITHIN MALCHUT, and they glow with light and joy until everything becomes fragrant. At that point, all Judgments are within the glow, AS THOSE JUDGMENTS DRAWN FROM THE FIVE AFFLICTIONS CAUSE CHOCHMAH TO SHINE FORTH. IF NOT FOR THEM, THE CHOCHMAH WOULD NOT BECOME REVEALED AS MENTIONED. The Judgment is not being carried out, BUT IS MERELY IMPENDING. This is the meaning of, "You shall afflict your souls," TO ENABLE THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH.
242. Rabbi Yehuda said: How lucky were Yisrael that the Holy One, blessed be He, craved them and wished to cleanse them, so that no sin would be found with them, in order that they could be members of His chamber and dwell in His palace. Regarding the future, it is written, "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you..." (Yechezkel 36:25).
243. Rabbi Yehuda opened the discussion saying, "A song of ascent. Out of the depths I have cried to You, Hashem" (Tehilim 130:1). We have learned that when the Holy One, blessed be He, created the world, He wanted to create man. He took counsel in the Torah. She said before Him: You wish to create this man, he will sin before you. He will anger You and, if You react to him according to his deeds, the world then will not survive before You, certainly not man. THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, said to her, "Am I for no reason called an "El, merciful and graciously long-suffering" (Shemot 34:6).
244. Before He created the world, He created repentance. The Holy One, blessed be He, said to repentance (WHICH IS THE SECRET OF BINAH CALLED REPENTANCE): 'I wish to create man in the world on the condition if they turn to you from their sins, you will be ready to forgive their sins and render atonement.' At every hour, repentance is available for mankind. When mankind repents from their iniquities, this repentance, NAMELY BINAH, returns to the Holy One, blessed be He, MEANING EXTENDS MOCHIN TO ZEIR ANPIN and atones for all. The Judgments are all subdued and mitigated, and man is purified of his sins.
245. HE QUESTIONS: When is he cleansed from his sin? HE ANSWERS: When he properly enters repentance. Rabbi Yitzchak said: When he returns before the supernal King and prays from the depths of the heart, as the verse states, "Out of the depths I have cried to You, Hashem."
246. Rabbi Aba said, "Out of the depths I have cried to You, Hashem" MEANS there is a hidden spot above. It is the depth of the well, DENOTING BINAH. From here flow streams and springs in every direction and the deepest part is called repentance. One who wishes to return and cleanse oneself from sins in this depth needs to call upon the Holy One, blessed be He, as the verse says, "Out of the depths I have cried to You, Hashem."
247. We have studied that when one sins before his Master, Mercy is awakened if he offers his sacrifice on the altar and the priest attains forgiveness for him and prays his prayer for him. The Judgments are mitigated and repentance, NAMELY BINAH, pours out blessings in the springs that emerge and flow. All candles are blessed together, NAMELY THE SFIROT OF MALCHUT, and one is cleansed from his sin.
267. If they do not repent wholeheartedly , entreating and crying for the distress of the world, woe to them, in that they assembled for nothing. They say: Who caused the Holy Torah to be exiled because of them who failed to do repentance. Then they come to list their sins. Therefore, none should go there without repenting or without fasting to seek requests. Rabbi Aba said: Not without three fasts. Rabbi Yosi says: Even one FAST SUFFICES, but it must be on that same day as long as the multitudes sit in great distress. Then they would come together, MEANING NEFESH, RUACH AND NESHAMAH, seeking mercy upon the world.
285. (A) "And she said, Will you give me a pledge, till you send it?" (Beresheet 38:17) These are the marks of a Queen blessed by the King during her nuptials. And he said: What pledge shall I give you? And she said: Your signet, and your cord, and your staff (Ibid. 18). These are the heavenly bonds, the jewels of the Bride who is blessed by these three - NAMELY Netzach, Hod and Yesod. Everything is contained within these three. The Bride is blessed from this. Immediately, "he gave it her, and came into her, and she conceived by him" (Ibid.).
(B) "And it came to pass about three months after" (Ibid. 24). HE QUESTIONS: What is meant by three months? HE ANSWERS: After a tripled month. The three months ARE CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET, as we have established. HERE IT IS WRITTEN, "About three months," MEANING as the fourth month began, DENOTING MALCHUT, to stir up the Judgments in the world due to the sins of mankind and to nurture from the Other Side. Then, "it was told Judah, saying, Tamar your daughter in law has played the harlot" (Ibid.), so the bride is found on the Other Side. It is written, "Bring her out" (Ibid.) as the verse says, "And cast down from heaven (to) earth the beauty of Yisrael" (Eichah 2:1). "And let her be burnt" (Beresheet 38:24) with a flaming fire in exile.
(C) It is written, "When she was brought forth" to be drawn into the exile, "She sent to her father-in-law, saying, By the man whose these are, I AM WITH CHILD" (Ibid. 25). It is not written: 'from whom these are,' but "whose these are," WHICH MEANS these items are proof of him by whom I am with child. THESE WERE BRIDAL ORNAMENTS AND THEY HAD ALREADY BECOME HERS, AS EARLIER MENTIONED, BUT ONLY HE GAVE THEM. Immediately, "And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She has been more righteous (Heb. tzedakah) than I" (Ibid. 26). Assuredly she is righteous, for this was brought about by that name, FOR SO IS MALCHUT CALLED. What brought upon her this name? He continued, "than I (also: 'from me')," as it is written, "For Hashem is righteous, He loves righteousness (Heb. tzedakah); the upright shall behold His face" (Tehilim 11:7). This is because tzedakah is justice (Heb. tzedek) and Hei, and she received that name from me. She inherited IT from me and all this is come from me.
292. About all those who did not merit during their lifetime TO BE IN THE HOLY LAND and are brought there later to be buried, it is written, "And made My heritage an abomination" (Ibid.). His spirit expired under another, strange dominion and his body came under the dominion of the Holy Land, so he made, so to speak, the sacred profane and the profane sacred. Those who deserve that their souls expire in the Holy Land will have their sins forgiven and will merit to be bound under the wings of the Shechinah, as it is written, "And will forgive His land" (Devarim 32:43). Moreover, if he merits during his lifetime TO BE IN THE HOLY LAND, he will merit to have drawn upon him consistently the Holy Spirit. Those who dwell under another dominion, MEANING OUTSIDE THE HOLY LAND, will have drawn upon them a foreign spirit.
329. So it is written, "Hashem shall roar from on high, and utter His voice from His holy habitation; He shall mightily roar because of His habitation" (Yirmeyah 25:30), because of His actual habitation, namely the Queen, WHO IS GONE. It is surely so THAT HE ROARS. What does He say? THUS: woe that I have demolished My house. "My house" MEANS the union with the Queen. This is surely the meaning of, "The nakedness of your father, or the nakedness of your mother, shall you not uncover." From all directions there is nakedness, NAMELY BLEMISH. FOR WHEN MALCHUT, YOUR MOTHER, PARTED DUE TO THE SIN OF THE LOWER BEINGS, THEN THE LIGHTS DEPARTED FROM ZEIR ANPIN AS WELL. THUS, ZEIR ANPIN, YOUR FATHER, WAS DAMAGED. Then "I clothe the heavens with blackness, and I make sackcloth their covering" (Yeshayah 50:3), MEANING ZEIR ANPIN REFERRED TO AS HEAVEN, as the place of the reception of blessings of the springs' sources, WHICH ARE IN BINAH which were flowing and watering ZEIR ANPIN properly, withdrew AND STOPPED.
333. Surely this is when sins in the world multiply excessively. At first, repentance was available but they did not want TO REPENT, then the Hei takes off, BEING BINAH, THE SECRET OF REPENTANCE and the Aleph, BEING KETER, raises the Vav Yud to it, so it is now called Oy. When the Temple was destroyed and repentance was gone, then they cried and said, "Woe (Oy) to us! For the day declines" (Yirmeyah 6:4). What is meant by "For the day declines?" It refers to the supernal day, MEANING BINAH called repentance, which departed and is not available. This is that specific day that extends its right hand to welcome evildoers. It has departed from all and is not available. Therefore, they say Oy instead of Hoy "for the shadows of the evening are lengthened" (Ibid.), MEANING PERMISSION has been granted to the rulers over other nations to rule over YISRAEL.
338. Therefore, He commanded about her twice, once when she sits united with the King and is called "your mother," as it is written, "The nakedness of your mother, shall you not uncover," MEANING do not cause them to separate from each other, or her to be sent away because of your sin, as it is written, "And for your transgressions was your mother put away" (Ibid.). The other was when she is in exile with you, exiled from the palace of the King, called THEN wife of the King. Even though she was distanced from THE KING, do not cause her to turn away from you, and thus your enemies will gain control over you and she will not guard you in exile. This is what is written, "The nakedness of your father's wife shall you not uncover." What is the reason? Because she is "your father's nakedness." Although she was distanced from the King, the King's supervision is still upon her constantly, so one needs to watch himself more carefully in relation to her, so as not to sin against her.
341. Therefore, "shall your camp be holy" (Ibid.). One must SEE that he does not become defiled through his sins and through transgressing the words of Torah. If he does so, they defile him, as it is written, "That you should be defiled (Heb. venitmetem) by them" (Vayikra 11:43). The word "Venitmetem" is written without Aleph, POINTING TO AN EXTRA MEASURE OF DEFILEMENT. We have learned that there are 248 limbs in the body and all become defiled when one becomes defiled, meaning as soon as he wants to become defiled, it IMMEDIATELY ACQUIRES DEFILEMENT. "Therefore shall your camp be holy." What is meant by "your camp?" This refers to the limbs of the body. "That He see no unclean (lit. 'nakedness of') thing in you" (Devarim 23:15). What is a "nakedness of thing?" This is an allusion THAT YOU MUST NOT BRING a strange nakedness to come to this thing, FOR IT IS STRANGE TO MALCHUT CALLED 'THING,' as we have established. If YOU DO so, He will surely "turn away from you" (Ibid.). Therefore "your father's wife shall you not uncover" (Vayikra 18:8). What is the reason? It is because it is written, "It is your father's nakedness" (Ibid.), as we have established.
344. Rabbi Aba called him. He said to him, Tell me this, what is this mark on your face? He replied: Please do not punish anymore this man, as his sins caused this mark. Rabbi Aba said: What happened? He answered: One day my sister and I were traveling, we stayed in one inn and we become intoxicated. All night, I held my sister. In the morning, I awoke and found the innkeeper arguing with another man. I intervened IN ORDER TO SEPARATE THEM. They struck me, one from one side and the other from the other side. This mark has remained on my forehead. I was saved by a doctor who was among us.
345. He said to him: Who is the doctor? He replied: He is Rabbi Samlai. He asked: What cure did he give you? He replied: Spiritual healing. From that day, I returned with repentance. Every day I see my face in the mirror, WITHOUT ANY CHANGE. I have wept before the Holy One, blessed be He, 'ים ןד the Master of the world for that sin. With these tears, I have washed my face. Rabbi Aba said: If repentance would not have been withheld from you, I would have removed the impression on your face, but I will announce upon you, "And your iniquity is taken away, and your sin is purged" (Yeshayah 6:7). He told him to repeat this three times. He said it three times and the mark disappeared.
353. THIS MAN ELAZAR prostrated himself before him. He brought him home, prepared three measures of bread and a three year old calf. After eating, the man said to him: Rabbi, tell me one thing. I had a red cow, the mother of this calf whose flesh we are eating. One day, before she became pregnant and gave birth, I followed her to her pasture in the desert. As I led her, a man came by and asked me for the name of the cow. I replied that from the day she was born, I never called her by name. He said to me: Batsheba, mother of Solomon, is she called if you merit forgiveness FOR YOUR SINS. When I turned around, I saw him no more. I laughed at this thing.
377. "You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's brother" (Vayikra 18:14): Rabbi Yehuda said that this verse speaks of Yisrael below, AS YISRAEL ARE THE BROTHERS OF ZEIR ANPIN, WHO IS YOUR FATHER. "Your mother's sister" (Ibid. 13) is Jerusalem on earth, THE SISTER OF MALCHUT ABOVE, YOUR MOTHER. Through these sins IS UNCOVERED THE NAKEDNESS OF YISRAEL, MEANING Yisrael will be in exile among the nations. THE NAKEDNESS OF JERUSALEM IS UNCOVERED, MEANING Jerusalem below will be destroyed. About this, we learned of the love of the Holy One, blessed be He, in that He called Yisrael brothers, as it is written, "For my brethren and friends' sake, I will now say..." (Tehilim 122:8). THEREFORE, THE VERSE SAYS ABOUT THEM, "THE NAKEDNESS OF YOUR FATHER'S BROTHER."
383. Rabbi Chizkiyah said: All is according to the supernal secret to show that one who causes a defect below causes a defect above. "You shall not uncover the nakedness of your daughter in law" (Vayikra 18:15): We have learned that the marital visits of the scholars are on Shabbatot, as they know the secret of the matter. They will meditate with their hearts with a complete wish, and the offspring they produce are called children of the King. If these cause a flaw down below, it is as if they cause harm to the bride on high, NAMELY MALCHUT. Then we find written, "You shall not uncover the nakedness of your daughter in law (Heb. kalah, also: 'bride')." This EXPLANATION is for those who comprehend Torah ways. For the rest of the people, THE EXPLANATION IS the revealed one, MEANING literally your actual daughter-in-law, THE WIFE OF HIS SON. Because of this sin, the Shechinah departs from them, NAMELY, HE ALSO HINTS THAT THE BRIDE ON HIGH DEPARTS BECAUSE OF THIS DEFECT BELOW.
394. We have learned the last statement of the Ten Commandments of the Torah, reads, "You shall not covet your neighbor's wife" (Shemot 20:14), as this generally represents the whole of them. He who covets another woman is considered transgressing the entire Torah. However, nothing stands before repentance, all the more so if he is willing to accept upon himself his penalty like King David. Rabbi Yosi said: We have learned that repentance does much good to whoever has sinned and then parted from the sin. If he does not PART FROM IT, repentance does not help and is to no avail. HE QUESTIONS: How was it that David did not part from Batsheba afterwards? He replied: Batsheba was his. He took what was his, as her husband had died.
397. We have learned it is written, "Also you shall not approach to a woman in the impurity of her menstrual flow, to uncover her nakedness" (Vayikra 18:19). Rabbi Yehuda taught, the generation in which Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai dwells are all meritorious, all pious, all sin fearing, the Shechinah dwelling in their midst. Not so in other generations. For this reason, these things are expounded and not concealed, IN HIS GENERATION. In other generations it is not so, and supernal secrets cannot be revealed. And those who do know them are afraid TO REVEAL. When Rabbi Shimon would relate the secret of this verse among all the friends, their eyes would flow with tears. All the words he said were being revealed before their very eyes, as the verse says, "With him I speak mouth to mouth, manifestly, and not in dark speeches" (Bemidbar 12:8).
399. We have learned that during the days of Rabbi Shimon a person would say to his friend: Open your mouth and let your words shine forth. After the demise of Rabbi Shimon, they would say, "Do not let your mouth cause your flesh to sin" (Kohelet 5:5), MEANING DO NOT REVEAL SECRETS.
400. We have learned Rabbi Shimon said that if people would look at what is written in the Torah, they would not come to anger their Master. We have learned when harsh Judgments are stirred to descend to the world, IT IS then WRITTEN, "To a woman in the impurity of her menstrual flow..." (Vayikra 18:19). About this, it is written, "The secret of Hashem is with them that fear Him" (Tehilim 25:14). We have learned this in the Holy gathering and here I wish to reveal this secret. Here it is proper to do, MEANING HERE IS THE PLACE TO REVEAL IT.
401. We have learned that when the strong serpent from above was awakened as a result of earth's sins, he dwelt and joined the female and injected his poison in her. Then the male departed from her because she was unclean, and she was called unclean. Then it would not be proper for the male to approach her. Woe TO THE WORLD, if he would become unclean with her when she was unclean.
402. We have learned that 125 kinds of impurity descended to earth joined AND HELD BY the side of the mighty serpent, and the greater 27 of them hold to the female to join with her. Woe to anyone approaching her at this time, for one who does approach her points to a defect above. With this sin, the mighty serpent above is awakened to spew poison in places where he should not, and he joins the female. The hairs of the male grow and the female is defiled. Her hair grows and her nails grow. Then harsh Judgments begin circulating in the world and everything becomes defiled. This is the essence of the verse, "Because he has defiled the sanctuary of Hashem" (Bemidbar 19:20). The sanctuary of Hashem was defiled due to sins of mankind.
405. Anyone who wants to, can perform witchcraft with them on people, due to these DEMONS that derive from them. He who eradicates them, MEANING BURNS THEM, is considered as if he multiplies kindness in the world so that evil Judgments are not present, and that filth will be annuled, and its nails that are marked by it, BY THAT FILTH. We have learned that one who steps by foot or shoes on the nails might be harmed. If it is so with the remnants of what was left of the refuse above, then how much more so the woman that welcomes and joins with the serpent in whom he injected his refuse. Woe to the world who will receive from her AT THIS TIME, SINCE IT RECEIVES from that refuse. "Also you shall not approach to a woman in the impurity of her menstrual flow" (Vayikra 18:19), MEANING NOT TO RECEIVE FROM MALCHUT AT THE TIME THE SERPENT JOINS HER, BECAUSE OF THE SIN OF LOWER BEINGS, AND INJECTS FILTH INTO HER.
406. Rabbi Shimon said: The Holy One, blessed be He, said, 'Bring atonement before Me on the New Moon,' BECAUSE I HAVE REDUCED THE MOON, MALCHUT. "Before Me" surely MEANS ON MY BEHALF, in order to remove the serpent FROM NURSING FROM MALCHUT, and to perfume the one who needs to, NAMELY MALCHUT. "Before (lit. 'upon') Me" TO BE EXPLAINED, as "Serafim stood above him" (Yeshayah 6:2), WHICH DOES NOT MEAN OVER HIM, HEAVEN FORBID, BUT FOR HIS SAKE AND FOR HIS GLORY. HERE TOO, "UPON ME" IS TO BE EXPLAINED AS 'FOR MY SAKE.' Therefore, it is written regarding Korah, "Who are gathered together are against (lit. 'upon') Hashem" (Bemidbar 16:11), WHICH ALSO MEANS "FOR HASHEM," MEANING for them, BECAUSE OF THE SIN OF KORAH AND HIS CONGREGATION, someone was awakened from their side, MEANING THE OTHER SIDE, TO BLEMISH HASHEM. Also here, "Bring before Me your atonement" upon Me literally, MEANING FOR MY SAKE AND FOR ME, in order that MALCHUT will have fragrance and the serpent will pass from her and not be found where it dwelt, MEANING IN A PLACE OF LACK DUE TO THE DIMINISHED MOON. What is all this for? Because I reduced the moon, NAMELY MALCHUT, and he who should not has sway over her. Hence, "also you shall not approach to a woman in the impurity of her menstrual flow" (Vayikra 18:19), AS IN THE ADJACENT PARAGRAPH.