31. An announcement is called out about them daily and their soul testifies within them day and night. The Torah raises its voice in all directions and says, "How long, fools, will you love foolishness" (Mishlei 1:22.). "Whoever is a fool, let him turn in here: as for him that lacks understanding, she says to him, Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mixed" (Mishlei 9:4-5). No one lends his ear or wakens his heart.
94. Rabbi Chiya said, "That which is, already has been; and that which is to be has already been..." (Kohelet 3:15). "That which is, already has been." We have learned that before the Holy One, blessed be He, created this world, He created worlds and destroyed them - THIS IS THE SECRET OF THE BREAKING OF THE VESSELS - until it entered the will of the Holy One, blessed be He, to create this world. First, He took counsel with the Torah, THE SECRET OF THE CENTRAL COLUMN, then He put on His adornments and was crowned with His crowns and created this world. All that is found in this world was there before Him, AT THE TIME OF CREATION, and was prepared before Him.
95. We have learned that all leaders of every generation were present before the Holy One, blessed be He, in their forms before they came to the world. Furthermore, before they came into the world, all human souls were carved before Him in the heavens with the same forms literally as they are in this world. All that these souls learn in this world, they already knew before coming to this world. We have learned that all this holds true with the people of true piety.
96. All of these that are not found to be just in this world, even there ABOVE BEFORE COMING TO THE WORLD, distance themselves from the presence of the Holy One, blessed be He. They enter the chasm of the great abyss and hurry to descend to this world. And we learned that their souls are stiff necked in this world, as they were before coming to this world. They throw away the saintly part that THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, gave to them FROM THE SIDE OF HOLINESS and go wander about and become impure in that chasm of the great abyss. They take their share there, precipitate the hour and descend to earth. If a man later gains merit and repents before his Master, he will receive back his own portion, NAMELY, THE HOLY PORTION THAT HE THREW UPWARD, AS MENTIONED. This is the meaning of the verse, "That which is, already has been; and that which is to be has already been..."
98. HE ANSWERS: We have learned from the holy luminary that the Holy One, blessed be He, concerned Himself with their honor, so inwardly their bodies were tinged with fire, but their soul was not lost, as we have already established. Come and see that even before the deaths of Aaron's sons, it is written, "And Elazar, Aaron's son took of the daughters of Putiel to wife; AND SHE BORE HIM PINCHAS" (Shemot 6:25). He was called Pinchas because he was destined to straighten that which is crooked, MEANING TO CORRECT THE DAMAGE OF NADAB AND ABIHU, AS EXPLAINED EARLIER, EVEN THOUGH NADAB AND ABIHU HAD NOT YET DIED. This is the essence of the verse, "And that which is to be has already been."
140. As they were going, they stayed in a field and prayed. A fiery cloud descended and surrounded them. Rabbi Shimon said: I believe that the wish of the Holy One, blessed be He, is here. Let us sit down. They sat and discussed words of Torah. He said, "As cold water to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country" (Mishlei 25:25). I examined the words of King Solomon and found that they were said with wisdom.
142. HE EXPLAINS HIS WORDS: In this verse, its beginning is not its end, nor does its end match up with its beginning, MEANING THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT IDEAS. But when I examine them closely, I see common characteristics included from one to the other, both for its beginning to its end or vice versa. IT IS WRITTEN, "good news from a far country" and "As cold water to a thirsty soul," IN WHICH "as cold water to a thirsty soul" IS ONE CONCEPT and "good news from a far country" IS A SEPARATE CONCEPT. YET THEY ARE RELATED ONE TO THE OTHER, as both speak of satisfaction; just as the one gives satisfaction, so does the other give satisfaction. THIS IS THE CENTRAL COLUMN INCLUDING BOTH CONCEPTS, AS WE SAID.
143. As they were sitting, someone arrived and said that the wife of Rabbi Shimon was healed from her illness. The friends heard a proclamation that the Holy One, blessed be He, forgave the sins of the generation. Rabbi Shimon said: Now was fulfilled the verse, "good news from a far country" which gives satisfaction "as cold water to a thirsty soul." He said to them: Let us rise and go as the Holy One, blessed be He, is performing for us miracles.
144. He opened the discussion saying, "Cold water to a thirsty soul" is referring to Torah. Of all those who merit to toil in Torah and satiate their souls from it, it is written, "good news from a far country." The Holy One, blessed be He, announces about many favors for him in this world and in the World to Come. This is the meaning of "good news." Whence do they come TO BE GOOD? "From a far country," MEANING from the place in which the Holy One, blessed be He, was far off from him at the beginning, MEANING where He was in enmity with him at first, as it is written, "And the earth shall rise up against him" (Iyov 20:27). From this place, they welcome him with peace. This is the meaning of, "A far country." It is also written, "Hashem appeared to me from afar, saying, I have loved you with an everlasting love: therefore I have remained true to you" (Yirmeyah 31:2). THE END OF THE ARTICLE IS MISSING.
170. He said to him: Elazar, my son, be careful not to write the Holy Name improperly from now on. For of him who does not know to write the Holy Name properly and to tie the bond of Faith, the bond of one and one, OF ZEIR ANPIN AND MALCHUT, ACCORDING TO THE SECRET OF THE VERSE, "HASHEM SHALL BE ONE, AND HIS NAME ONE" (ZECHARYAH 14:9), so as to unify the Holy Name, it is written, "Because he has despised the word of Hashem, and has broken His commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off" (Bemidbar 15:31). This is even if he causes a degradation of one level or one unity from just one letter among them.
202. "And this shall be a statute forever to you: that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, you shall afflict your souls..." (Vayikra 16:29). Rabbi Chiya said, "With my soul have I desired You in the night; with my spirit within me I seek You..." (Yeshayah 26:9). HE QUESTIONS, "With my soul have I desired You in the night:" It should simply read: 'My soul at night.' What does it mean, "With my soul have I desired You in the night?" ALSO, "with my spirit within me I seek You" should have said: 'It seeks You.' HE ANSWERS: We have learned that the Holy One, blessed be He, is the spirit and soul of all, so Yisrael are saying, "You are my soul and spirit." For this reason, I have desired You, to cling to You. "I seek You" to find Your goodwill.
203. Rabbi Yosi said: At the time one sleeps in his bed, his soul departs, ascends and testifies about him concerning that person's activities of that entire day. THEREFORE, the body says to the soul, "My soul, have I desired you in the night," WHEN YOU GO OUT OF ME, "my spirit within me, I seek you."
204. Another explanation for, "With my soul have I desired You in the night..." The Congregation of Yisrael said before the Holy One, blessed be He, "With my soul have I desired You in the night," MEANING so long as I find myself in exile among other nations and withhold my soul from all evil that is connected with the nations. "With my soul have I desired You" in order to return to my place. "With my spirit within me I seek You," meaning even though they subject my children to every kind of oppression, the Holy Spirit does not depart from them in order that they should seek You and perform Your commandments.
205. Rabbi Yitzchak said: Yisrael said before the Holy One, blessed be He, so long as my soul is within me "have I desired You in the night." Wherefore "in the night?" It is because the Nefesh at that time needs to covet You. "With my spirit within me I seek You," MEANING when the Holy Spirit stirs within me, I seek You with excitement in order to do Your will. "For when Your sentences are on the earth," MEANS at the time when justice, MEANING ZEIR ANPIN, comes down to earth, MEANING to bring fragrance to the world, TO MALCHUT. Then "the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness" (Ibid.), which means that they are capable of tolerating the Judgments of righteousness and mankind should not perish as a result of it. When will "the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness?" "When Your sentences are on the earth." Rabbi Chizkiyah said, "With my soul (Nefesh) have I desired You in the night" refers to the Congregation of Yisrael, NAMELY MALCHUT, while "with my spirit (Ruach) within me I seek You" refers to the Holy One, blessed be He. MALCHUT IS THE SECRET OF NEFESH AND THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, IS THE SECRET OF RUACH.
206. Rabbi Aba was staying with Rabbi Shimon. Rabbi Shimon rose at midnight to study Torah, and Rabbi Elazar and Rabbi Aba rose with him. Rabbi Shimon opened the discussion saying, "As the hart pants after the water brooks, so my soul pants for You, Elohim" (Tehilim 42:2). The friends have established this verse. Fortunate are Yisrael more than all nations that the Holy One, blessed be He, gave them the Holy Torah and bequeathed to them saintly souls from a holy source in order that they should observe His commandments and take pleasure with the Torah. All those who take pleasure in the Torah need not fear anything, as it is written, "Unless Your Torah had been my delights, I should have perished in my affliction" (Tehilim 119:92).
207. What are my delights? The Torah as the Torah is called delights, as it is written, "And I was daily His delight" (Mishlei 8:30). We have learned that the Holy One, blessed be He, comes to delight Himself with the righteous in the Garden of Eden. What is meant by 'delight Himself?' IT MEANS to rejoice in them. As we learned, fortunate are the righteous about whom it is written, "Then you shall delight yourself in Hashem" (Yeshayah 58:14), so as to take pleasure from the drink of the stream, MEANING BINAH, as it is written, "And satisfy your soul in drought" (Ibid. 11). It is as if the Holy One, blessed be He, delights in them by means of that drink of the stream that the righteous take pleasure in, so He comes to have delight with the righteous. All those that toil in the Torah will merit to find delight in the righteous from that drink of the stream, MEANING BINAH.
208. We have learned that "as the hart (Heb. ayal) pants after the water brooks" refers to the Congregation of Yisrael, NAMELY MALCHUT, as the verse says, "O my strength (Heb. eyal), haste You to help me" (Tehilim 22:20). "MY STRENGTH" REFERS TO MALCHUT. "Pants after the water brooks," MEANING to be watered by the water of the spring, REFERRING TO BINAH, through the aid of the Righteous, NAMELY YESOD. "Pants (Heb. ta'arog)" as the verse says, "To the beds (Heb. arugot) of spices" (Shir Hashirim 6:2). "So my soul pants for You, Elohim," MEANING to be watered from You in this world and the World to Come.
211. Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd). The Faithful Shepherd, NAMELY THE SOUL OF MOSES, said, at that time, BEFORE THE COMING OF MESSIAH, the Mishnah scholars, sages of supernal wisdom, scholars of Kabbalah, scholars of the secrets in the Torah, will have a time of hardship, AS THEY HAVE NOTHING TO SUPPORT THEM. This is the meaning of, "As the hart (Heb. ayal) pants after the water brooks" (Tehilim 42:2) as they, NAMELY THE SAGES MENTIONED EARLIER, are springs of water of Torah flowing to the Shechinah, AS TORAH IS REFERRED TO AS WATER. Torah is the central pillar, MEANING ZEIR ANPIN, THE CENTRAL COLUMN. These springs of water, NAMELY THE SAGES MENTIONED EARLIER FROM WHICH COMES FORTH TORAH MEANING WATER, are in distress, in sadness and in poverty. These are the pains and distresses of the one who has given birth, namely the Shechinah, as it is written in regard to Her, "And let her who bore you rejoice" (Mishlei 23:25). She will be in those labor pains, MEANING with their distress OF THE SCHOLARS OF WISDOM AND TORAH, AS MENTIONED, AS THEIR AGONY IS CONSIDERED AS THE LABOR PAINS OF THE SHECHINAH.
215. Rabbi Aba said to him, "With my soul (Nefesh) have I desired You in the night; with my spirit (Ruach) within me I seek You..." (Yeshayah 26:9). HE QUESTIONS: It should simply state "my Nefesh in the night," MEANING IT SHOULD SAY, 'MY SOUL IN THE NIGHT; WITH MY SPIRIT WITHIN ME I SEEK YOU.' Why write also "I seek You," when it should say, 'it seeks You,' AS IT REFERS TO HIS SPIRIT. He answered: We have established? that it resembles "in whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath (lit. 'Ruach') of all mankind" (Iyov 12:10), MEANING THAT MY NEFESH AND MY RUACH ARE NOT HIS OWN NAMES, BUT ARE TWO LIGHTS - RUACH AND NEFESH - CLAD IN A BODY, AS EXPLAINED FURTHER.
216. Come and see that the Nefesh and Ruach always exist jointly in the world. We have learned the total service that man must serve the Holy One, blessed be He, is as we have learned, "And you shall love Hashem, your Elohim..." (Devarim 6:5). He needs to love the Holy One, blessed be He, with his very soul. This is referred to as an utter love, the love of his Nefesh and Ruach. Just as these NEFESH AND RUACH cling to the body and the body loves them, so must man love the Holy One, blessed be He, and cling to Him, as the love of the Nefesh and Ruach. This is in essence the verse, "With my soul have I desired You in the night," MEANING my very soul THAT IS CLAD IN MY BODY.[YB1]
218. We have learned that the pious one, whose Ruach and Nefesh cling to the above, to the Holy King, with the proper love, will rule upon the earth below and what he decrees for the world will come to pass. How do we know this? From Elijah, as it is written, "As Hashem the Elohim of Yisrael lives, before whom I stood, there shall not be dew or rain these years, but acording to my word" (I Melachim 17:1).
219. Come and see: When the holy souls come from above downwards and the pious of the world draw them from the King and the Queen, NAMELY FROM THE UNION OF MALE AND FEMALE, there are few THAT MERIT it, that at the exact moment when they descend TO EARTH, they are standing AND SERVING before the King, who pleases to look at it. AFTERWARDS, IT DESCENDS INTO THE WORLD. When the Holy One, blessed be He, blew the breath INTO EVERY SINGLE SOUL AND into every angel in Heaven, all the hosts were created and stood complete, as we have established. This is what the verse says, "And all the hosts of them by the breath of His mouth" (Tehilim 33:6). Among THE SOULS, there are those that remain STANDING BEFORE THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, AS MENTIONED, until the Holy One, blessed be He, causes them to descend.
220. We have learned that from the day the world was created, THE SOULS OF THE GREAT PIOUS ONES have stood before the Holy One, blessed be He, held back IN HIS PRESENCE. THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, WATCHES THEM until the time arrives to send them below, MEANING TO BECOME CLOTHED WITH A BODY, and they rule above and below. Thus the verse, "As Hashem the Elohim of Yisrael lives, before whom I stood." It doesn't say, 'I stand,' but "I stood," MEANING BEFORE DESCENDING TO THIS WORLD. Afterwards, he returned to his place IN HEAVEN and entered his chamber. Other SOULS do not ASCEND TO THEIR PLACE until they die. This is because they never stood earlier BEFORE THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, ON THAT LEVEL of the others, NAMELY ENOCH AND ELIJAH THAT MERITED TO ASCEND TO THEIR PLACE WHEN STILL ALIVE. For this reason, Elijah became a messenger and angel above, AND ENOCH TOO. And these were those that clung most to the King, MEANING MORE THAN AN ANGEL.
221. I found in the book of Adam that all Holy Spirits above, MEANING ANGELS, do the mission OF THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, and all come from one place. The souls of the righteous COME from two levels joined into one. Therefore, they ascend higher THAN ANGELS and their levels are greater THAN ANGELS. This is so. All those that were hidden there went down and up during their lifetime, such as Enoch, who did not die. We have already established this matter regarding Enoch and Elijah.
222. We have learned that 125,000 levels of the pious souls arose in the desire OF THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, before the world was created. The Holy One, blessed be He, designated them for this world in every generation. They ascend, fly in the world, and join in the bundle of life, MEANING MALCHUT. In the future, the Holy One, blessed be He, will renew the world with them. About them, it is written, "For as the new heavens and the new Earth..." (Yeshayah 66:22).
223. "You shall afflict your souls..." (Vayikra 16:29). It says "your souls" in order that Yisrael be found meritorious before the Holy King, and meet with the goodwill of the Holy One, blessed be He. They must cling to Him in order that all their sins may be forgiven. Therefore, whoever eats and drinks on the ninth day and pleasures his soul with food and drink will find himself with the affliction on the tenth day doubled, and it will be considered as if he fasted on the ninth and tenth. "Your souls" includes all, body and soul, to surrender on this day in order to have atonement for sins.
225. Another explanation for, "You shall afflict your souls" (Vayikra 16:29): Rabbi Aba opened the discussion saying, "There was a little city, and few men within it" (Kohelet 9:14). "A little city" has been explained. Yet the little city is as in, "We have a strong city; He sets up salvation..." (Yeshayah 26:1) and, "And I will not come as an enemy (also: 'in a city')" (Hoshea 11:9), WHERE CITY REFERS TO MALCHUT. "A little city" is small, because it is the last of all SFIROT and the lowest of them all. Its walls are large, strong and holy, and it is called a holy city. "And few men within it:" Few are those who merit to enter within and dwell there, as the verse says, "Who shall ascend into the mountain of Hashem? or who shall stand in His holy place?..." (Tehilim 24:3). Therefore, "and few men within it."
236. "In the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month" (Vayikra 16:29). Tenth is exact as we have learned THAT TENTH DENOTES MALCHUT. "You shall afflict your souls" (Ibid.): This is exact. We have learned "your souls (Nefashot)" indeed, as it all depends upon Nefesh, AS THE LIGHT OF MALCHUT IS CALLED NEFESH AND NEFESH ALWAYS DENOTES MALCHUT. For this reason, one should eat and drink from the ninth of the month, DENOTING YESOD, more than any other day. Even though we learned this in another manner, it is all very well. They amount to the same thing and each thing is in its own place. This is how it should be.
237. We have learned that on that day, all joy and every light and every indulgence in the worlds, NAMELY FORGIVENESS OF SINS, all depend on supernal Ima. All springs are drawn and flow from it, MEANING BOTH THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH AND THE ILLUMINATION OF CHASSADIM. Then all these candles glow, BEING THE SECRET OF THE LIGHTS OF THE FIRE WITHIN MALCHUT, and they glow with light and joy until everything becomes fragrant. At that point, all Judgments are within the glow, AS THOSE JUDGMENTS DRAWN FROM THE FIVE AFFLICTIONS CAUSE CHOCHMAH TO SHINE FORTH. IF NOT FOR THEM, THE CHOCHMAH WOULD NOT BECOME REVEALED AS MENTIONED. The Judgment is not being carried out, BUT IS MERELY IMPENDING. This is the meaning of, "You shall afflict your souls," TO ENABLE THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH.
239. We have learned that it is written, "Also (lit. 'but') on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement...and you shall afflict your souls" (Vayikra 23:27). It is also written, "And this shall be a statute forever to you: that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, you shall afflict your souls" (Vayikra 16:29). IN THE LATTER IT DOES NOT SAY, "BUT ON THE TENTH." What is meant by "but ON THE TENTH" that is written in this verse? He replied to him: It comes to exclude, FOR WHEREVER THE WORD "BUT (HEB. ACH)" IS WRITTEN, ITS PURPOSE IS TO EXCLUDE. Since it is written, "And you shall afflict your souls: on the ninth day of the month" (Vayikra 23:32), so it says later "but on the tenth day." It should merely say, 'but tenth day,' ONLY IT TEACHES US that with the tenth rests the whole matter OF "YOU SHALL AFFLICT YOUR SOULS," YET NOT ON THE NINTH DAY OF THE MONTH.
240. He said to him: If so, "but on the first day you shall have put away leaven out of your houses" (Shemot 12:15). We have learned "but" sets a dividing line, meaning for a half day the eating of leaven is prohibited and for a half day it is permitted. It is also written here, "But on the tenth day of the month," meaning a half time forbidden to eat and a half time permitted. So He said to him here also, "And you shall afflict your souls." There is a separation, in that affliction takes place from midday onward, MEANING AFTER THE TIME ALLOTTED TO EATING. Thus "but" divides. This applies to "and you shall afflict your souls" as well.
252. Rabbi Chiya said the last of these lower unholy Sfirot is that which is mentioned in the verse, "Or one who inquires of the dead" (Devarim 18:11). This is the tenth of all THE SFIROT, NAMELY MALCHUT OF OTHER SIDE. THERE ARE TEN TYPES OF SORCERY IN THE VERSE CORRESPONDING TO THE TEN SFIROT OF THE OTHER SIDE. According to what we have learned, Rabbi Yitzchak said: The souls of evildoers THAT DIED are the demons of the world, AND ABOUT THEM, THE VERSE DESCRIBES "WHO INQUIRES OF THE DEAD."
253. Rabbi Yosi said: If so, it is pleasing to the wicked to become harming forces in the world. Where is the punishment of Gehenom and where is the bad that awaits them in that world? Rabbi Chiya replied: We have learned and established that many prosecutors are ready to receive the souls of the wicked at the time they depart the world and deliver them to Gehenom. They receive three punishments daily in Gehenom. Later, DEMONS join them and the souls go, hover over the world and mislead the wicked people against whom repentance has been closed. Then they are returned to Gehenom to be punished there - and this continues daily.
254. After THE DEMONS go with them through the world, they return them to their graves and they see body worms picking at THEIR flesh. THE SOULS mourn for them, FOR THE BODIES. These sorcerers go to the cemeteries and perform their sorcery, make an image of a human form and slaughter before it a goat. Later, they bring that goat to that grave and that image they shatter to four directions and raise it to the four corners of the grave. Then they perform their sorcery. All these groups assemble with evil kinds and bring this soul, which enters the grave, and speaks with them.
255. Rabbi Yitzchak said: How fortunate are the pious in this world and the World to Come, as they are all holy. Their bodies are holy and their Nefesh is holy. Their Ruach is holy and their Neshamah is the Holy of Holies. There are three levels - NEFESH, RUACH AND NESHAMAH - just like above, reflecting MALCHUT, TIFERET AND BINAH OF ABOVE. As Rabbi Yehuda has taught, it is written, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures (Heb. 'nefesh')" (Beresheet 1:24), which refers to the soul of Adam. Come and see: These three levels - Nefesh, Ruach and Neshamah - join together, and the superior one is Neshamah.
256. As Rabbi Yosi said, every person has a Nefesh, an ANIMALISTIC NEFESH and he has a supernal Nefesh, DENOTING a SPIRITUAL Nefesh. If man merits that soul, he is given a crown called Ruach, as the verse says, "Until a spirit be poured upon us from on high" (Yeshayah 32:15). Then there awakens in man a different supernal awakening to search the ways of the Holy King. When man merits the Ruach, he is crowned with a heavenly, holy, all - inclusive Sfirah called Neshamah, called the Neshamah of Eloha.
265. Rabbi Chiya said: I wonder if anyone knows how to notify the deceased besides us. Rabbi Aba replied: The pain THAT PEOPLE SUFFER, informs them. The Torah informs them. At the time when no one has knowledge, NAMELY HOW TO ALERT THE SOULS OF THE RIGHTEOUS MEN, they bring out a scroll of Torah near the graves and the souls are awakened wondering as to what reason the Torah appears exiled at this place. Then THE ANGEL Dumah informs them.
272. Furthermore, when other nations come before their deceased, they come with sorcery to awaken kinds of evil beings. When Yisrael come to their deceased, they come in great repentance before the Holy One, blessed be He, with a broken heart and fasting. All this is done so that the holy souls will ask for mercy for their sake before the Holy One, blessed be He. And the Holy One, blessed be He, shows mercy to the world on their behalf.
274. We have learned that it is written, "Yet the soul (Nefesh) of my master shall be bound in the bond of life" (I Samuel 25:29). HE QUESTIONS: It says "the Nefesh of my Master," but it should read 'the Neshamah of my master,' BECAUSE NEFESH REMAINS IN THIS WORLD AND ONLY NESHAMAH RISES TO THE BUNDLE OF LIFE. HE ANSWERS: As we said, fortunate is the share of the righteous men that everything is tied one to another - Nefesh with Ruach, Ruach with Neshamah and Neshamah with the Holy One, blessed be He. The result is that Nefesh is tied to the bond of life, AS IT IS CONNECTED TO NESHAMAH, WHICH IS THE BUNDLE OF LIFE.
292. About all those who did not merit during their lifetime TO BE IN THE HOLY LAND and are brought there later to be buried, it is written, "And made My heritage an abomination" (Ibid.). His spirit expired under another, strange dominion and his body came under the dominion of the Holy Land, so he made, so to speak, the sacred profane and the profane sacred. Those who deserve that their souls expire in the Holy Land will have their sins forgiven and will merit to be bound under the wings of the Shechinah, as it is written, "And will forgive His land" (Devarim 32:43). Moreover, if he merits during his lifetime TO BE IN THE HOLY LAND, he will merit to have drawn upon him consistently the Holy Spirit. Those who dwell under another dominion, MEANING OUTSIDE THE HOLY LAND, will have drawn upon them a foreign spirit.
293. We have learned that when Rav Hamnuna Saba (the elder) ascended there, THE HOLY LAND, he had with him twelve members of his Yeshiva students. He said to them: If I go this way, it is not for my own sake that I do so but to return the pledge to its owner. We have learned that all those who did not merit this, TO LIVE IN THE HOLY LAND, during their lifetime must return the Master's pledge to another, NAMELY THE SOUL THAT WAS GIVEN TO THEM, TO THE OTHER SIDE.
294. Rabbi Yitzchak said: Because of this, whoever brings into the land any of the evil beings or other domains defiles the land. Woe is to him, woe to his soul, as the Holy Land will not receive him after that. Of him, it is written, "The sinners will be consumed out of the earth" (Tehilim 104:35) in this world and the World to Come. Then, "the wicked will be no more" (Ibid.) during the resurrection of the dead. Then "Bless you Hashem, my soul, Haleluyah" (Ibid.).
316. At that time, the sound that is emitted from those girded with swords, NAMELY THE SIXTY WARRIORS, breaks eighteen large mountains. No one lends his ear, everyone is blind and has a closed heart. There is no one to see that this construction is about to shatter. When unseemly deeds are done and people turn away from the correct way, the right is removed, DENOTING THE ILLUMINATION OF CHASSADIM, and the left rules WITHOUT THE RIGHT. Then there is nakedness. Woe to the wicked who bring it upon the world, as there is no blessing above before these EVILDOERS are vanquished here below. This is what the verse says, "And the wicked will be no more. Bless You Hashem, O my soul, Haleluyah" (Tehilim 104:35).
351. We have learned that the righteous who toils in Torah day and night, the Holy One, blessed be He, draws upon him a thread of grace, which is marked on his face. From that mark, both those on high and those below have fear. Likewise, whoever violates the words of Torah, a spirit of defilement is drawn upon him, which is marked on his face and causes those high and low to flee from before him. They all proclaim: Leave the vicinity of he, who violated the Torah and the commandments of his Master. Woe to him and to his soul, and this person draws the spirit of defilement that is with him and transmits it to his son. In such a man the Holy One, blessed be He has no part, and He spares him in order to destroy him in the World to Come.
386. HE SAYS: Vav consists of six letters, MEANING IT IS MADE UP OF SIX LETTERS FROM ALEPH TO VAV THAT PRECEDE IT. The Yud includes them all, AS THE YUD CONTAINS ALL NINE LETTERS THAT PRECEDE IT, AMONG WHICH IS THE VAV AND THE SIX LETTERS INCLUDED THEREIN. THIS IS THE YUD THAT IS ABOVE THE VAV, AS MENTIONED. This Yud is engraved with marks, MEANING WITH THE INCLUSION OF THE NINE LETTERS THAT PRECEDE IT, and ascends TO THE YUD OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, THAT INCLUDES ALL 22 LETTERS to be crowned with the twelve other letters FROM YUD TO TAV. THEN IT IS ALSO PART OF THE 22 LETTERS LIKE THE YUD OF YUD HEI VAV HEI. THEN ten engraved sayings, MEANING TEN SFIROT, come out of it, and all of the paths of the supernal most precious way. Then the other Hei OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, MALCHUT, contains them all, MEANING, IT RECEIVES FROM ALL LIGHTS AS MENTIONED, carved from the part of the concealed peg, YESOD OF ZEIR ANPIN, to give birth below, MEANING TO BE WORTHY TO BEAR SOULS.
393. "You shall not uncover the nakedness of mother and daughter" (Vayikra 18:17). We have learned that these kinds of incest are among the laws of the Queen, even though they are both revealed and hidden. There are listed "her son's daughter, or her daughter's daughter" (Ibid.), for the world needs them to populate the world, as we have learned. One who reveals one nakedness of these, woe to him and woe to his soul, as because of this he will uncover other nakednesses.
408. Rabbi Shimon said: It is written, "And it shall come to pass, that every new moon, and every Shabbat..." (Yeshayah 66:23). HE QUESTIONS: Why are they compared, MEANING WHY ARE BOTH CONSIDERED TOGETHER IN THE VERSE? HE ANSWERS: All pertain to one level and the one is united with the other. SHABBAT, BEING ZEIR ANPIN, IS UNITED WITH THE NEW MOON, DENOTING MALCHUT. There is no joy of one in the other, WHEN THEY ARE NOT UNITED. Only when Atika Kadisha, KETER, is revealed TO THEM, is there universal joy. We have learned that it is written, "A psalm, a poem for the Shabbat day" (Tehilim 92:1). It is expressly for the Shabbat day, ZEIR ANPIN, THE SECRET OF THE SHABBAT DAY, denoting the praise which the Holy One, blessed be He, recites. Then is found joy and an additional soul, due to the fact that Atika was revealed and the union OF ZEIR ANPIN AND MALCHUT is occurring.