511. The second chamber pertains to the secret of the Faith, so as to be united within the mystery above. This chamber is more recondite and concealed than the first. There are three openings to this chamber, and one chieftain in charge over them, named Urfaniel, DERIVED FROM 'THE LIGHT (HEB. OR) OF THE FACE (HEB. PANIM)', BECAUSE HE STANDS ON THE EAST SIDE CALLED 'FACE'. This chieftain rules over the three directions south, north and east - south on this side, RIGHT, CHESED; north on that side, LEFT, GVURAH; and east in the middle, THE SECRET OF TIFERET, THE MEDIATING COLUMN.
512. Of the three openings to the three Columns, the two are closed, and THE OPENING in the middle is open, in the secret of the verse, "as it were the very heaven for clearness" (Shemot 24:10), REFERRING TO THE SECRET OF THE OPEN GATE IN THE MIDDLE, TIFERET, CALLED 'HEAVEN'. The chieftain URFANIEL stands at the open gate, TO THE EAST. Under him there are two other chieftains, in charge over the other two closed openings, OF THE SOUTH AND NORTH.
517. This chamber is called 'chamber of splendor', since in it there is a spirit called 'Urfaniel', a never changing splendor, ILLUMINATING CONSTANTLY ONLY WITH THE WHITE LIGHT IN IT, WHICH IS CHESED. It stands within the concealed light shining from above, FROM THE THIRD CHAMBER, and within the light illuminating from below, COMING FROM THE SPIRIT OF THE FIRST CHAMBER THAT ASCENDED HERE. And when the light of below OF THE FIRST CHAMBER, strikes the upper light HERE, then this spirit shines as sight in the eyes. And when it rolls, it spreads a glowing light, full of splendor. Therefore, this chamber is called 'splendor'.
518. The spirit called 'Urfaniel' shines upon this chamber and upon the first chamber, as the spirit of the first chamber illuminates openly, from the spirit HERE that is concealed. Therefore, this spirit travels up and down, in the secret of the verse, "your rounded thighs are like jewels" (Shir Hashirim 7:2), FOR THIS IS THE CHAMBER OF HOD, AND NETZACH AND HOD ARE CALLED 'THIGHS'. SINCE THE LIGHT IS CONCEALED, IT IS CALLED 'ROUNDED' (HEB. CHAMUKEI), HINTING AT CONCEALMENT, LIKE IN THE VERSE, "BUT MY BELOVED HAD TURNED AWAY (HEB. CHAMAK) AND WAS GONE" (SHIR HASHIRIM 5:6). "Rounded (thighs)" IS IN THE PLURAL, because there is another spirit here, on the left side, who came out OF URFANIEL, and joined him. Therefore it is written, "rounded thighs," referring to the two. The spirit of the left is called 'Hadarniel', FROM HOD AND HADAR (ENG. 'MAJESTY'). They are included and joined together, being "the very heaven" (Shemot 24:10) comprising fire and water, NAMELY, THE TWO SPIRITS, RIGHT AND LEFT. RIGHT IS WATER AND LEFT IS FIRE.
519. It is written, "As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain..." (Yechezkel 1:28). The first spirit, Urfaniel, is concealed both above and below, shining. It is "something like the color of electrum" (Ibid. 27), NOT EXACTLY ELECTRUM (HEB. CHASHMAL), THE SECRET OF 'CHAYOT ESH MEMALELOT' (LIT. 'MOTTERING FIERY LIVING CREATURES') BECAUSE IT CANNOT BE UTTERED, THE SECRET OF THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH. But sometimes it is electrum, WHEN IT COMPRISES HADARNIEL, from which come all the Seraphim. FOR ELECTRUM (HEB. CHASHMAL) COMPRISES THE LETTERS "Cha-yot e-sh me-mal-et"; ALSO the living creatures exist and exist not, MEANING THAT THEY SOMETIMES TALK AND SOMETIMES ARE QUIET. Therefore it is electrum.
520. Through Urfaniel, life is made known to the world. When the world is acquitted, this spirit shines, and there are life and joy, for with acquittal, the Judgments ARE ANNULLED AND shine. Then this spirit shines, as seen by the verse, "In the light of the king's countenance (Heb. or pnei) is life" (Mishlei 16:15), ALLUDING TO THE LETTERS OF URFANIEL.
521. When the world is condemned, the unholy Other Side has sway and rules. The spirit URFANIEL is stored and darkened, and the whole world is sentenced, under Judgment. All depends upon this spirit, as seen in the verse, "and his knees smote one against the other" (Daniel 5:6), FOR FEAR OF JUDGMENT IS FELT IN THE KNEES, THE SECRET OF NETZACH AND HOD, AND THIS CHAMBER IS THE CHAMBER OF HOD.
525. The spirit Urfaniel is in charge over the whole process, and rules over this chamber. From this unity of spirit within spirit, URFANIEL AND HADARNIEL, by their striking each other to become united, NAMELY, THEIR JOINING, were created all the other rulers, appointed over the world. These are the six winged Seraphim who sanctify their Master three times a day. It is they who are strict with the righteous to a hairbreadth. It is they who punish in this world and in the World to Come, those who slight a man from whom they learned even one thing of the Torah, and treat him with disrespect, and those who make use of a person who learned the six orders of the Mishnah, and studied them for the purpose of declaring the unity of their Master.
526. When they are settled a spirit within spirit, URFANIEL WITH HADARNIEL, and illuminate together, there emerges from that light a living creature that rules over the Seraphim, beneath which there are four eagle-faced LIVING CREATURES. The living creature's name is Yofiel, who is familiar with all the mysteries of Wisdom, and has all the keys of Wisdom.
531. The spirit URFANIEL rules over everything, and everything is included in him, and looks at him. The living creature YOFIEL rules over four other living creatures, with four wheels to each. One wheel faces east, one wheel faces north, one wheel faces south, and one wheel faces west. Each WHEEL has three struts. The wheel to the east, TIFERET, is called 'Chaniel', DERIVED FROM GRACE (HEB. CHEN). The wheel to the north, GVURAH, is called 'Karshiel', DERIVED FROM CONGELATION (HEB. KRISHAH), BECAUSE THE LIGHTS ON THE LEFT SIDE ARE CONGEALED, NAMELY, FROZEN. The wheel to the south, CHESED, is called 'Azriel', DERIVED FROM HELP (HEB. EZRA). The wheel to the west, MALCHUT, is called 'Aniel', FROM POOR (HEB. ANI), FOR MALCHUT HAS NOTHING OF ITS OWN, AND IS THEREFORE POOR. The three pillars in each WHEEL are facing the middle, TIFERET, since they are carried by the middle one and they travel with it, FOR WITHOUT IT THEY WOULD BE DARKENED WITHOUT LIGHT.
791. The second chamber, THE VERY HEAVEN, IS THE SECRET OF THE PRAYER "The blessed El, great in Wisdom," WRITTEN IN ALPHABETICAL HEBREW ORDER. THIS IS THE SECRET OF THE ANGEL Urfaniel, who GOVERNS THE SECOND CHAMBER, AND includes the mystery of the small letters of the alphabet. THE ORDER OF THE LETTERS IN THIS PRAYER ARE THE SECRET OF THE SMALL LETTERS. Here ARE ANGELS who say sanctification and "blessed be," for here they recite sanctification, NAMELY, THEY SAY, 'HOLY, HOLY, HOLY', and 'blessed be the glory of Hashem FROM HIS DWELLING PLACE'. In the third chamber THEY RECITE, "to the blessed El they will sound songs..."