72. HE RESPONDS: Assuredly one has to raise it up high. Hence, it is a heave offering, FOR THIS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED TRUMAH (ENG. 'HEAVE OFFERING) DERIVED FROM HARAMAH (ENG. 'RAISING UP') AND NOT TNUFAH (ENG. 'WAVING'), although we explained THAT TRUMAH IS SPELLED WITH THE LETTERS OF tri mime'ah (Aramaic two out of a hundred) and that is so indeed. NONETHELESS, THE PRIMARY MEANING OF TRUMAH COMES FROM HARAMAH - RAISING UP. Wherefore IS IT CALLED 'wave' then, if it means here raising up? IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED TRUMAH THEN. HE RESPONDS: Here lies the secret of wisdom. Woe, pious holy men, masters of lance, for not having served Rabbi Shmaya the pious. Had it not been for that, you would have known what a wave offering is, what is wheat and what is barley.
74. LET US RETURN TO the verse we began with: "Then it shall be, that, when you eat of the bread of the land." HE ASKS: Was the bread of the land just barley AND NOTHING ELSE? THIS VERSE, EVEN THOUGH IT IS MENTIONED TO BE THE PRECEPT OF DOUGH CONTRIBUTION, ALLUDES TO THE OMER OF THE WAVE OFFERING, AND THAT OMER OF THE WAVE OFFERING WAS OFFERED AS BARLEY. HE RESPONDS: It is not so, SINCE THERE ARE FIVE KINDS OF GRAINS and we offer barley because it is the first of the other kinds of bread in the world. Seorah (Eng. 'barley') is the letters of shiur Hei (Eng. 'measure of Hei'), which occupies a known measure in the Hei, WHICH IS MALCHUT. Chitah (Eng. 'wheat') is the central point, where the Other Side of the scale of guilt has no place. Chitah is a daughter that asks petulantly (Heb. mitchat'ah) before her father and he does her will. What is chitah? It has the numerical value of the 22 letters.
76. You might wish to draw the sword and wonder why that daughter holds on to these letters, CHET AND TET, IF THERE IS A HOLD FOR THE OUTER FORCES. However, if you know the sin of Adam, which they said THAT THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL was wheat, you will understand this. When this tree, MALCHUT, is victorious, everything is on the good side, as it takes everything from the Other Side and suppresses it. THEREFORE, HE SAID THAT THE OTHER SIDE HAS NO HOLD ON THE WHEAT GRAIN.
77. The friends of old have explained this matter, IN SAYING THAT THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL WAS WHEAT. They began from a distance, MEANING TO SAY, WITH A VAGUE EXPLANATION, saying simply wheat, MEANING THAT CHITAH CONTAINS THE LETTERS OF SIN (HEB. CHET) AND INDICATES SIN. THERE IS NO INTENTION OF ACTUAL WHEAT, BUT MERELY AN ALLUSION TO IT. Then, the latter came and said actual wheat. THAT IS, IT ALLUDES TO YESOD OF MALCHUT, AS MENTIONED, THAT SHE IS CALLED 'THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL,' AS MENTIONED. Isaiah came and explained it: "And from terror (Heb. mechitah, spelled with Chet and Tav); then it shall not come near you" (Yeshayah 54:14). Therefore, WHEAT is the central point in order that there should be no sin, since without this point, there would have been sin. And the substituting of Tet and Tav is a guarding against the Other Side and the cleansing thereof.
78. You friends, who have not served Rabbi Shmaya the pious, you mentioned that the five kinds of grains, WHICH ARE WHEAT, BARLEY, RYE, RICE AND MILLET, have no portion for the Other Side. However, it is not so, since the Other Side has a part in anything that rots on earth. What is its part? "The chaff which the wind drives away," as it is written: "Not so the wicked: but they are like the chaff which the wind (Heb. ruach) drives away" (Tehilim 1:4). That is the Holy Spirit (Heb. Ruach), WHICH IS MALCHUT, as it is written: "For the wind passes over it, and it is gone" (Tehilim 103:16). The Holy Spirit THAT IS MALCHUT scatters it in every direction, so it should no longer exist. Chaff is the female OF THE KLIPAH. What is the male OF THE KLIPAH? It is straw.
79. Chaff and straw, WHICH ARE THE MALE AND FEMALE OF THE KLIPAH, go together. Therefore, they are exempt from tithe, because they do not contain any part in holiness. Hei OF CHITAH is the cleaned grain without the straw and chaff. Chet and Tet OF CHITAH are male and female, chaff and straw. IF Hei too IS INCLUDED WITH CHET AND TET, it indicates refined grain, and hence the perfection of the tree, THAT IS MALCHUT, is the wheat grain, WHICH IS INDICATIVE OF REFINED GRAIN WITHOUT KLIPOT. The tree by which Adam sinned was wheat, since everything is contained in the secret and in the word chitah. Rabbi Elazar wondered and the friends marveled. Rabbi Elazar said, It definitely is so.