57. Fifth Chapter. It is written, "Oh (Heb. Hoy - Hei Vav Yud) sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that deal corruptly..." (Yeshayah 1:4). THERE ARE seven levels, ONE COMING OUT OF THE OTHER, Yud Vav Dalet, Hei, Vav, Hei Hei. HE EXPLAINS: Yud brought forth Vav Dalet OF THE FULLY SPELLED YUD, AND THE DALET CONCEIVED VAV AND BECAME Hei, FOR THEN YUD BECOMES Hei Vav Yud. THESE ARE THE FOUR LEVELS, YUD, VAV, DALET, HEI. AND AFTERWARDS Hei bore the Vav, WHICH IS THE FIFTH LEVEL, and the Vav, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, brought forth Hei FROM INSIDE ATZILUT WHICH IS THE NUKVA AND THE SIXTH LEVEL, AND BROUGHT FORTH Dalet Vav, THE SOULS OF ADAM AND EVE outside OF ATZILUT, AS THEY ARE THE SEVENTH LEVEL. It hid male and female of Adam being Dalet Vav OUTSIDE ATZILUT, MEANING THAT HE CONCEALED HIS FACE FROM THEM, as is written ABOUT THEM, "children that deal corruptly," BECAUSE THEY SINNED BY THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL.
57. פִּרְקָא חֲמִישָׁאָה הוֹי גּוֹי חוֹטֵא עַם כֶּבֶד עָוֹן זֶרַע מְרֵעִים בָּנִים וְגוֹ'. שִׁבְעָה דַּרְגִּין יוֹד ה' ו' ה' ה' י' אַפִּיק ו' ד' ה' הוי, ה' אַפִּיק ו' ו' אַפִּיק ה' ו"ד לְבַר אַסְתִּיר אָדָם דְּכַר וְנוּקְבָּא דְּאִינּוּן ד"ו דִּכְתִּיב בָּנִים מַשְׁחִיתִים.
58. "In the beginning created": "Beresheet" (lit. 'In the beginning') is a saying, THAT IS, A COMPLETE LEVEL. "Bara" (lit. 'created') is half a saying, MEANING HALF A LEVEL. THEY ARE Father and Son, concealed and revealed, the upper Eden that is concealed and hidden and the lower Eden that emerges to its journeys IN THREE PLACES. Then are revealed Yud Hei Vav Hei, Yah, MEANING A SAYING AND HALF A SAYING ARE REVEALED THROUGH THE JOURNEY. "Elohim the (Heb. Et)" THAT FOLLOW "IN THE BEGINNING CREATED", MEAN Adonai Eheyeh, BECAUSE 'ET' IS THE SECRET OF MALCHUT THAT IS CALLED 'ADONAI', AND 'ELOHIM' THE SECRET OF BINAH, Right and Left joined together. THIS IS THE SECRET OF "the heavens," WHICH IS TIFERET THAT INCLUDES CHESED AND GVURAH, WHICH ARE RIGHT AND LEFT "and the (Heb. ve'et)" IS NETZACH, HOD, AND YESOD, as written, "And the glory (Tiferet) and the victory (Netzach), ETC." (I Divrei Hayamim 29:11) that joined together. FOR "HEAVENS" IS TIFERET AND "AND THE" IS NETZACH AND HOD. "FOR ALL THAT IS IN HEAVEN AND ON EARTH" (IBID.) IS YESOD. "The earth" IS THE LAST MALCHUT, as written, "how majestic is Your name in all the earth" (Tehilim 8:2). "The whole earth is full of His glory" (Yeshayah 6:3), WHERE EARTH MEANS MALCHUT.
59. "Let there be a firmament in the water" (Beresheet 1:6) to divide between the Holy, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, and the Holy of Holies, WHICH ARE ARICH ANPIN AND ABA AND IMA. THE FIRMAMENT DIVIDES between Atik, WHICH IS ARICH ANPIN, and Zeir Anpin. It is divided FROM ARICH ANPIN VIA THE FIRMAMENT yet clings AS IT IS NOT ACTUALLY DIVIDED by the mouth that speaks great things.
60. ZEIR ANPIN is severed to be crowned with small crowns in five kinds of LIVING water, MEANING IN THE SFIROT - CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD OF IMA, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF FIVE HUNDRED YEARS THAT ARE CALLED 'LIVING WATERS OR LIFE', as it is written, "And running (or: 'living') water shall be put thereto" (Bemidbar 19:17), WHICH IS CHESED. "He is the living Elohim, and an everlasting King" (Yirmeyah 10:10), IS GVURAH. "I shall walk before Hashem in the lands of the living" (Tehilim 116:9), IS NETZACH. "Yet the soul of my Master shall be bound in the bond of life with Hashem your Elohim" (I Shmuel 25:29), IS HOD. "And the Tree of Life also in the midst of the Garden" (Beresheet 2:9), IS TIFERET. Yud Hei IS CHOCHMAH AND BINAH, Yud Vav Dalet, Hei Aleph IS CHOCHMAH BINAH OF ZEIR ANPIN HIMSELF, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF YUD HEI VAV HEI FULLY SPELLED WITH ALEPH'S. Eheyeh IS THE SECRET OF KETER. THEY ARE THE DIVISION between waters and waters, for the UPPER waters ABOVE THE FIRMAMENT, WHICH ARE YUD HEI, YUD VAV DALET, HEI ALEPH, AND EHEYEH are whole, while THE LOWER BEINGS BELOW THE FIRMAMENT ARE waters that are not whole. ABOVE THE FIRMAMENT, there is complete mercy and BELOW THE FIRMAMENT, there is incomplete mercy.
61. "And Hashem said, My spirit shall not abide in man for ever for that he also is flesh" (Beresheet 6:3). "And Hashem said," MEANING when He settled AND BECAME CLOTHED with Zeir Anpin. From here we derive that 'one quotes one', because concealed Atik THAT IS ARICH ANPIN, said, "My spirit shall not abide" in supernal man, ZEIR ANPIN. For with that spirit (also: 'wind') that blows from the two nostrils of the nose OF ARICH ANPIN, it draws LIFE to those below, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE LIGHT OF CHOCHMAH THAT IS CALLED 'LIFE.'
62. Therefore it is written, "and His days shall be a hundred and twenty years" (Ibid.), because Yud Vav Dalet IS THE SECRET OF CHOCHMAH AND LIFE. It is whole yet not whole. Yud in itself is one hundred, MEANING TEN SFIROT, EACH INCLUDING TEN, AMOUNTING TO ONE HUNDRED. The two letters VAV DALET THAT ARE NOT WHOLE are twice TEN. TOGETHER THEY AMOUNT TO a hundred and twenty years. Yud in itself, when it is revealed in Zeir Anpin, spreads to ten thousand years, BECAUSE EACH OF THE SFIROT OF CHOCHMAH EXPANDS TO A THOUSAND. Now it is written, "You laid Your hand upon me" (Tehilim 139:5), MEANING THAT HIS HEIGHT WAS DIMINISHED TO ONE HUNDRED CUBITS. HE RECEIVED THE LIGHT OF LIFE FROM THE YUD, WHICH IS WHOLE AND NOT WHOLE, BECAUSE THE VAV DALET, WHICH ARE NOT WHOLE, ARE CONNECTED WITH THE YUD, AS MENTIONED.
63. "There were Nefilim (lit. 'fallen ones') in the earth in those days" (Beresheet 6:4). This is as is written, "And from thence it was parted, and branched into four streams" (Beresheet 2:10), for ever since the place where the Garden parted, WHICH IS MALCHUT OF ATZILUT, it is called 'fallen,' MEANING THROUGHOUT THE THREE WORLDS OF BRIYAH, YETZIRAH AND ASIYAH. FOR ALL THOSE THAT FELL THERE FROM THE GRADES OF ATZILUT ARE CALLED 'FALLEN', as is written, "And from thence it was parted." "There were...in the earth in those days," but not afterwards until Joshua came and the children of Elohim were hidden, NAMELY THE TWO SECRET SPIES, ABOUT WHIOM IT IS WRITTEN, "AND HID THEM" (YEHOSHUA 2:4).
64. Until Solomon came and the daughters of men were incorporated IN HOLINESS, as is written, "and the delights of the sons of men" (Kohelet 2:8). The word "delights" has a feminine suffix INSTEAD OF A MASCULINE ONE, BECAUSE IT REFERS TO THE DAUGHTERS OF MAN MENTIONED EARLIER, "TWO WOMEN THAT WERE HARLOTS." "Sons of men," FROM THE WORDS "THE DELIGHTS OF THE SONS OF MEN", REFER TO THE SONS OF MEN that were cast from other spirits IN ATZILUT, and were not included in supernal Chochmah. It is written, "And Hashem gave Solomon wisdom" (I Melachim 5:26) and, "For he was wiser than all men" (Ibid. 11). It is because HE CORRECTED ALL THESE MEN, who were not included in man OF HOLINESS.
65. "And Hashem gave Solomon wisdom," MEANING THAT HE GAVE HIM the upper Hei, WHICH IS BINAH. "For he was wiser," because from it, FROM BINAH, he became wise below. "the same were mighty men of old (or: 'from the world')" (Beresheet 6:4), meaning from the upper world, THE WORLD OF ATZILUT FROM WHICH THEY FELL AS MENTIONED, "men of renown (lit. 'name')" (Ibid.) who made use of the name. What is the name? It is the Holy Name, MEANING MALCHUT THAT IS CALLED 'NAME', and they used it, those unholy beings, MEANING THAT THE NEFILIM USED IT TO DRAW CHOCHMAH FROM ABOVE DOWNWARDS, WHICH IS NOT HOLY FOR IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DO SO. They utilized only the name, WHICH IS MALCHUT. IT IS SAID "men of name", in general, instead of 'men of Yud Hei Vav Hei', WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN. It is not because the verse is ambiguous, MEANING THAT THE VERSE DOES NOT MENTION ANY PARTICULAR NAME, but it is rather diminishing yet not diminishing. IT IS DIMINISHING BECAUSE IT IS LESS THAN THE NAME YUD HEI VAV HEI, BUT IT IS ALSO NOT A LESSENING BECAUSE IT IS MALCHUT THAT IS CALLED 'NAME', AND IT COULD NOT BE WRITTEN IN ANY OTHER WAY. "Men of renown" is general; they are no longer part of humanity, as it is written, "Nevertheless man abides not in honor" (Tehilim 49:13). "Honor" REFERS TO the glory of the King, WHICH IS MALCHUT THAT IS CALLED 'NAME' AND IS THE GLORY OF ZEIR ANPIN. SINCE MAN MAKES USE OF THE NAME, WHICH IS MALCHUT, he "abides not," MEANS WHEN HE WAS without spirit.
66. HE NOW REVIEWS MOST OF THE MAIN POINTS THAT HE SPOKE OF IN ALL THE FIVE CHAPTERS WITH A FEW ADDITIONS VERY BRIEFLY. HE SAYS, Thirteen warring kings, NAMELY THE THIRTEEN FEATURES OF THE BEARD OF ARICH ANPIN in seven, MEANING THAT THE THIRTEEN RECEIVE FROM THE SEVEN FEATURES OF THE SKULL OF ARICH ANPIN. Seven kings, NAMELY THE SEVEN FEATURES OF THE SKULL OF ZEIR ANPIN, WHEN THEIR LIGHT SPREADS in the earth, WHICH IS MALCHUT, appear to be victorious in war. Nine ascend the grades and run as they wish, NAMELY NINE FEATURES OF THE BEARD OF ZEIR ANPIN THAT ASCEND AND RUN THROUGHOUT THE GRADES. There is no one to detain them. Five kings stand in confusion and cannot stand before four.