127. He opened with the verse, "And it shall come to pass on that day, that a great Shofar shall be blown, and they shall come who were lost in the land of Assyria, and the outcasts in the land of Egypt..." (Yeshayah 27:13). "And it shall come to pass on that day:" what is that day? AND HE ANSWERS, It is that day known to the Holy One, blessed be He, as it is written, "one particular day which shall be known as Hashem's" (Zecharyah 14:7). "On that day" is as in, "on that day, when Gog shall come against the land of Yisrael" (Yechezkel 38:18).
128. "A great Shofar shall be blown:" HE ASKS, What difference does it make to us whether it is a great or small SHOFAR? AND HE ANSWERS, It is a supernal Shofar, by which slaves are always freed. This is Jubilee, NAMELY BINAH, which is a supernal and great Jubilee. When it is aroused TO BESTOW PLENTY, every kind of freedom of the worlds is aroused through it. And it is called a great Shofar.
129. "And they shall come who were lost (lit. 'they who lose') in the land of Assyria." HE ASKS, It should have said, 'they who were lost' or 'they who are lost.' What is meant by, "they who lose"? HE ANSWERS, It is they who actually lose, because they are in another land, and whoever dwells in another land is nourished by another domain and it is as if he does not live in Faith. This is why they are called they who lose, SINCE THEY LOST THEIR FAITH. They lose in every direction, ABOVE AND BELOW, since when Yisrael dwell in the Holy Land, they are righteous and always merit everything, THE PLENTY OF ZEIR ANPIN above and THE PLENTY OF MALCHUT below, BUT WHEN THEY ARE OUT OF THE HOLY LAND THEY LOSE ALL THAT.
130. According to another explanation, "they shall come who lose" are the Righteous, YESOD, and the Congregation of Yisrael, WHICH IS MALCHUT, who are called 'they who lose.' Whence do we derive this? It is written of the Congregation of Yisrael, "why does the land perish (or: 'lose')" (Yirmeyah 9:11), NAMELY MALCHUT THAT IS CALLED LAND. It is not written that it is lost or was lost, but that the land, which is the Congregation of Yisrael, loses. It is written of the Righteous, "The righteous perishes (or: 'loses')" (Yeshayah 57:1). HENCE THE RIGHTEOUS AND THE CONGREGATION OF YISRAEL ARE CALLED THEY WHO LOSE, as we explained.
131. You may ask in reference to "shall come," where they who lose come from, THE RIGHTEOUS AND THE CONGREGATION OF YISRAEL, WHICH ARE YESOD AND MALCHUT. AND HE ANSWERS, The Congregation of Yisrael COMES from exile. The Righteous, as we explained in relation to the verse, "When Hashem brought back the captivity of Zion" (Tehilim 126:1), IS YESOD CALLED ZION, so it shall return to its place and come to JOIN the Congregation of Yisrael. Hence, "they shall come who were lost in the land of Assyria." HE ASKS, What is meant by, "and shall worship Hashem on the holy mountain at Jerusalem" (Yeshayah 27:13), IF THEY WHO LOSE ARE YESOD AND MALCHUT? AND HE ANSWERS, This phrase, "AND SHALL WORSHIP...," REFERS TO "the outcasts in the land of Egypt," WHO SHALL WORSHIP HASHEM, since Yisrael does not come out of exile except with the Shechinah so to speak, as we explained. These outcasts shall worship Hashem, WHICH IS THE SHECHINAH.