147. The nose of Zeir Anpin characterizes the face, since the whole face is recognized by it. This nose is unlike the nose of the most concealed Atika Kadisha, since the nose of Atika is the life of life. For from the two nostrils OF THE NOSE come out spirits of life for everyone. Of Zeir Anpin it is written, "There went up a smoke out of His nostrils..." (II Shmuel 22:9).
148. (A) All aspects hold on to the smoke IN THE NOSE, and in each class many harsh prosecutors hold on to that smoke. They are all sweetened only by the smoke on the altar below. Hence it is written, "And Hashem smelled the sweet savor" (Beresheet 8:21). The sweet savor is the mitigation of the prosecutors, NAMELY satisfaction.
(B) "And Hashem smelled the sweet savor." It does not speak of the smell of the sacrifice, but of the savory smell, because all the Gvurot are connected to the nose, and all Judgments that are connected TO THE NOSE are mitigated, and many Gvurot are joined together, as it is written, "Who can utter the mighty acts (Heb. gvurot) of Hashem? Who can declare all His praise" (Tehilim 106:2)? From one nostril of this nose (Heb. chotem) comes out fire that consumes all other fires, and from the other nostril comes out smoke. Both are MITIGATED by the fire and smoke of the altar. Atika Kadisha is uncovered WITH ITS CHASSADIM and all Judgments are quieted. This is the meaning of, "and for My praise will I refrain (Heb. echetom) for you" (Yeshayah 48:9), WHICH REFERS TO THE NOSE OF ATIKA.
149. The nose of Atika Kadisha is long and expansive, and is called long-suffering (lit. 'long nosed'). The nose OF ZEIR ANPIN is short. When smoke starts emerging in haste, Judgment is carried out. The nose of Atika detains it, NAMELY ITS CHASSADIM. All is as I said at the Idra RABA, where the friends have commented on it.
150. In his book, Rav Hamnuna Saba explained about the two nostrils IN THE NOSE that from one there is smoke and fire and from another satisfaction and good spirit. Because it has in it right and left, FROM THE LEFT THERE IS SMOKE AND FIRE AND FROM THE RIGHT SATISFACTION AND GOODNESS OF SPIRIT, WHICH IS CHASSADIM INCLUDING CHOCHMAH. It is also written, "and his fragrance like the Lebanon" (Hoshea 14:7). Of the Nukva it is written, "the scent of your countenance (lit. 'nose') like apples" (Shir Hashirim 7:9), WHICH INDICATES THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH CALLED SMELL. If this is true for the Nukva, it is all the more so FOR ZEIR ANPIN, WHICH SUSTAINS THE NUKVA. And he has spoken well.
151. As for the words, "And Hashem smelled the sweet savor (Heb. nichoach)," the sweet savor INDICATES DOUBLE SATISFACTION (HEB. nachat) on both sides RIGHT AND LEFT. The one ON THE RIGHT is satisfaction revealed from the most concealed Atika Kadisha, which brings pleasure and sweetening for everything, BOTH TO CHOCHMAH AND CHASSADIM. The one ON THE LEFT is sweetening coming from below with the smoke and fire on the altar. Since it is SWEETENED on both sides FROM ATIKA AND FROM BELOW, THEREFORE it is written, 'nichoach' WHICH INDICATES DOUBLE SATISFACTION. All this applies to Zeir Anpin.