72. Rabbi Shimon began by saying: Woe to the person that extends his hand to the precious supreme beard of the holy old man, WHO IS ARICH ANPIN, who is hidden and concealed from all. The beard of that praise, the beard concealed and most precious of any of His forms OF ARICH ANPIN, the beard THAT IS not known to the higher and lower beings, the beard that is the praise of all praises, the beard which could be neither approached nor seen by any prophet or holy man, the beard that hangs by its hair to the center of the heart is white as snow, most precious of all, most concealed of anything concealed, the faith of universal Faith.
73. We have learned in the hidden book that that beard, which is the universal Faith, starts UNDERNEATH his ears and descends down around the holy mouth. It lowers and proceeds upward to cover with offering of fine fragrance the white and the precious, MEANING IT COVERS THE SKIN OF THE FACE OF ARICH ANPIN, WHICH IS WHITE, and at the same time lowers and covers up to the center OF THE HEART. This is the precious beard, the perfect faith, within which flow thirteen springs that stream forth from the goodly anointing oil. In thirteen Corrections (formations) it is established.
74. The first Correction (formation) OF THE THIRTEEN CONSTRUCTIONS OF THE BEARD: The hairs are formed above and originate from that style of the hair on the head that ascends, in form, above his ears and descends in front of the opening of the ears with one strand in good measure to the beginning of the mouth. THE EXPLANATION FOLLOWS.
76. The third Correction (formation): From underneath the center of the nose, below the two openings OF THE NOSE, one path follows out. The hairs cease from that path and it is full of hair on both sides OF THIS PATH, in perfect shape, surrounding this path.
77. The fourth Correction (formation): The hair underneath the mouth from one point to the other point forms in a harmoniously perfect shape. THAT IS THE ONE CALLED THE BEARD ON THE POINTED END OF THE CHIN.
78. The fifth Correction (formation): Underneath the mouth goes forth another path counterbalancing IN CONFORMITY the upper path, UNDER THE NOSE. Those two paths are distinguished on both sides of the mouth, THE UPPER PATH ABOVE THE MOUTH AND THE LOWER PATH UNDERNEATH THE MOUTH.
79. The sixth Correction (formation): The hairs are shaped upwards and go forth from the lower to the upper point of the mouth and cover the precious offering of fine fragrances to the top of the mouth above. The hair descends FROM THERE to the starting point of the lower opening BELOW the mouth.
80. The seventh Correction (formation): The hairs stop FROM GROWING and two parts of the faces are visible, THAT IS - THE RIGHT FACE AND THE LEFT FACE, WITHOUT THE HAIR, with an offering of good and pleasant smells, good and pleasing in appearance. The universe exists because of them and this is what is written: "In the light of the king's countenance is life" (Mishlei 16:15).