28. "And the earth was corrupt before Elohim" (Beresheet 6:11). Rabbi Yehuda asked: If it says "And the earth was corrupt," why "before Elohim"? IS IT NOT OBVIOUS? AND HE REPLIED: It is because they performed their sins openly, in front of everyone's eyes. And that is why the verse states, "before Elohim."
29. Rabbi Yosi said: I believe the opposite. "And the earth was corrupt before Elohim" means that they did not sin openly. They sinned only before Elohim and not before man. But eventually, they also sinned openly. As it is written: "And the earth was filled with violence" (Ibid.), which indicates that there was not a place on earth that did not witness their sins. Therefore, the verse declares that they sinned in two ways, THAT IS, IN HIDING AND IN THE OPEN.
30. "These are the generations of Noah." Rabbi Aba said, From the day that Adam transgressed his Master's command, all succeeding generations were called "sons of Adam." But it was not said to praise him, as much as to say, 'These are the sons of the man who transgressed his Master's command.'
31. But after Noah had appeared, all the descendants of mankind are named after him, "the generations of Noah." And this describes Noah's descendents in an honorable sense, because he secured for us permanent existence in the world, in contrast with "the generations of Adam," which describes us in a dishonorable sense, as he caused us to be driven out of this world by bringing death to all.
32. Rabbi Yosi said to him: If it is really so, we nevertheless see that in a later passage it is written: "Hashem came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men had built" (Beresheet 11:5). The verse clearly states "the children of Adam" and not "the children of Noah," EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE DESCENDED FROM NOAH. Rabbi Aba replied that because Adam sinned before his Master, THE VERSE INVOKES HIS NAME. And it would have been better for him had he not been created than to be mentioned in the Torah in such a manner.
33. Come and behold: it is written, "A wise son makes a glad father" (Mishlei 10:1). When a son is good, then all the people will mention his father's name with praise. But if a son is bad, they will mention his father with reproach. Now because Adam sinned and transgressed his Master's command, when THE TOWER BUILDERS came and rebelled against their Master, what was written about them? "That the children of Adam had built!" These are the children of Adam, the first man who had rebelled against his Master and transgressed His command.
34. That is why the verse states that "These are the generations of Noah." These GENERATIONS ARE CONSIDERED TO BE THE DESCENDANTS and not the former ones. Those who came out of the ark and emerged from it ARE THE GENERATIONS. They are not the generations of Adam, who came out of the Garden of Eden and did not beget there, AND ARE THEREFORE NOT DESTINED TO EXIST.