405. Rabbi Shimon opened the discussion and said: "When those moved, these moved, and when those stood still, these stood still" (Yechezkel 1:21). We have to look at this verse: "When those moved, these moved." Now, do I not know that when those move, these move, and when those stand still, these stand still? HE ANSWERS: Who moves? The living creatures move, and when they move, the wheels move, as it is written, "and when the living creatures moved, the wheels went by them" (Ibid. 19). Therefore, "When those moved, these moved, and when those stood still, these stood still," for all the goings of the wheels depend upon the going of the living creatures. They do not exist INDEPENDENTLY on their own, but depend upon the living creatures. It is further written, "and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up...along with them" (Ibid.), because the living creatures and the wheels move together.
406. Come and see: There are 24 thresholds, THE OPEN SPACES WITHIN THE DOOR PANES, of the supernal watches, within the one opening on the east side. Twenty-four watches stand guarding at that gate, hidden within the intensity of the flame surrounding that threshold on the east side.
407. There are 24 sockets beneath them, and upon the sockets 24 pillars. These always stand, and do not soar in the air like the others. They are called "standing ones," according to the verse, "I will give you access among these who stand by" (Zecharyah 3:7). The pillars stand upon the sockets, and turn in them, so they may remain in their places.
408. When these pillars stand firm, all the rulers standing above them, NAMELY, THE SAID GUARDS OF ZEIR ANPIN, soar and fly over the world, surveying with their eyes. Those who listen to sound, raise words above, as it is written, "for a bird of the sky shall carry the sound" (Kohelet 10:20). Therefore, all these sockets are always firm.
409. Come and see: The meaning of "When those moved, these moved" (Yechezkel 1:17) is as we said, WITH THE MOVEMENT OF THE LIVING CREATURES. "And when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up...along with them" (Ibid. 19) because as the living creatures move and are lifted up, so do THE WHEELS. Why? "For the spirit of the living creature was in the wheels" (Ibid. 20). The spirit of the living creature is the Holy Spirit, MALCHUT, blowing and striking the wheels to make them move. Thus, whatever is in a higher grade, carries whatever carries it. Come and see: The Ark was carrying whoever carried it. Here also, the living creatures were carrying the wheels.
410. You may say that it is written, "The spirit of the living creature was in the wheels" AND NOT 'THE SPIRIT OF THE LIVING CREATURES.' FROM WHERE DO WE UNDERSTAND THAT THE LIVING CREATURES CARRY THE WHEELS? HE ANSWERS: It also signifies that A LIVING CREATURE MEANS FOUR LIVING CREATURES, because it is in the right side, the left side, in front, and at the back. THAT IS, THE FOUR SFIROT CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET AND MALCHUT OF THE LIVING CREATURE, CORRESPONDING TO RIGHT, LEFT, FRONT AND BACK, ARE CONSIDERED FOUR LIVING CREATURES. Therefore, a living creature and living creatures ARE THE SAME THING.
411. It is written, "This is the living creature I saw under the Elohim of Yisrael by the river K'var" (Yechezkel 10:20). This is the fourfold living creature, turning to the four directions, NAMELY CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET AND MALCHUT AS EXPLAINED BEFORE. There is a throne, MALCHUT, for the likeness of man, NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN, as it is written, "and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it" (Yechezkel 1:26). And all that is for that high, holy and concealed grade called "the Elohim of Yisrael," WHICH IS BINAH, AS THE VERSE STATES, "THIS IS THE LIVING CREATURE I SAW" (YECHEZKEL 10:20) IS MALCHUT, UPON WHICH RIDES ZEIR ANPIN, THE SECRET OF MAN, AND BOTH "UNDER THE ELOHIM OF YISRAEL" (IBID.), BINAH.
412. THE LIVING CREATURE IN THE VERSE, "THIS IS THE LIVING CREATURE I SAW" IS the lower living creature, MALCHUT, which stands upon all the supernal holy living creatures, CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET AND MALCHUT OF ZEIR ANPIN, THE SECRET OF MAN, since there are supernal beasts, the ones over the others, AS ABOVE THOSE LIVING CREATURES OF MALCHUT THERE ARE SUPERNAL LIVING CREATURES OF ZEIR ANPIN. The throne under the Elohim of Yisrael has the image of Jacob, WHO IS ZEIR ANPIN, A THRONE TO BINAH CALLED 'THE ELOHIM OF YISRAEL'. And the lower throne, UNDER ZEIR ANPIN, has the image of David, MALCHUT. It is square to the four sides, and therefore, a spirit emerges from above, FROM BINAH, and goes out, flowing from one grade to another, FROM BINAH TO ZEIR ANPIN, AND FROM ZEIR ANPIN TO MALCHUT, until it strikes the lower beings below, IN BRIYAH, YETZIRAH AND ASIYAH. This spirit has power over everything, and it establishes everything so they will keep.
413. In exactly the same manner, things have been fixed below, IN THE TABERNACLE. It is written of above, "For the spirit of the living creature was in the wheels" (Yechezkel 1:20), and "Wherever the spirit was minded to go, they moved" (Ibid.). It is written concerning that which is below, "And Moses erected the Tabernacle." With what DID HE ERECT IT? THAT MEANS, he became a spirit in relation to that level below, THE TABERNACLE, assuming the shape of the Supernal Spirit, OF WHICH IT HAS BEEN SAID, "This is the living creature I saw under the Elohim of Yisrael" (Yechezkel 10:20), as from that living creature a spirit emerges, for the purpose of establishing everything AS MENTIONED. Moses was like that, he is the living creature that produces a spirit below, IN THE TABERNACLE, to fix everything. Therefore it is written, "erected," "And he put," "And he set," as by all of these he put a spirit that would correct everything.