209. HE ASKS, WHAT IS THE ALLUSION IN THE MENTIONING OF "HE SAW" TWICE? "And he saw AN EGYPTIAN MAN...and when he saw THAT THERE IS NO MAN..." (Shemot 2:11-12). AND HE ANSWERS, He observed and saw everything with the Holy Spirit. Therefore he looked at him and killed him, MEANING THAT HE KILLED HIM BY LOOKING AT HIM. THEREFORE, IT SAYS A SECOND TIME "HE SAW." And the Holy One, blessed be He, caused all this so that MOSES should go to that well as Jacob went to that well, as it is written "and he sat down by a well" (Ibid. 15). HE ASKS, By Jacob, it is written, "And he looked, and behold a well in the field" (Beresheet 29:2), while by Moses it says, "And dwelt in the land of Midian, and he sat down by a well." BY JACOB, IT DID NOT SAY 'SAT,' BUT ONLY "HE LOOKED." AND HE ANSWERS, IT IS BECAUSE even though Moses and Jacob were on one level, MEANING THE CENTRAL COLUMN, IN ALL Moses became elevated more than him - BECAUSE JACOB IS THE ASPECT OF TIFERET AND MOSES IS THE ASPECT OF DA'AT, WHICH IS THE INNER PART OF TIFERET. AND THE INNER MEANING OF THE WELL IS MALCHUT, THE SPOUSE OF TIFERET, AND SINCE MOSES WAS THE INNER PART OF TIFERET, THEREFORE BY HIM IT SAYS, "SAT" AND BY JACOB ONLY, "HE SAW."
210. Rabbi Yosi and Rabbi Yitzchak were traveling on the road. Rabbi Yosi said, The well that Jacob and Moses saw was the same well that Abraham and Isaac dug, WHICH ARE THE TWO COLUMNS, RIGHT AND LEFT OF ZEIR ANPIN. He said to him, No, THE WELL OF JACOB AND MOSES WAS NOT OF THE SAME STATUS AS THE WELL THAT ABRAHAM AND ISAAC DUG. This well was created at the same time that the world was created, and by Shabbat eve at twilight, the mouth of the well was created. And this is the well that Jacob and Moses saw. THEREFORE IT SAYS, "AND HE SAT DOWN BY A WELL."
211. Tosefta (Addendum). Mishnah. Those who pursue righteousness, THAT IS, WHO PURSUE TO PERFECT MALCHUT THAT IS CALLED 'RIGHTEOUSNESS,' THROUGH THREE COLUMNS, RIGHT, LEFT AND CENTRAL OF ZEIR ANPIN. Those who FORCIBLY demand the secret of Faith, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF EXTENDING THE LEFT COLUMN TO MALCHUT WHICH IS CALLED 'FAITH.' Those who have adhered with the bond of Faith, WHICH IS THE BOND WHICH IS IN THE RIGHT COLUMN, those who know the ways of the Supernal King - WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, THE SECRET OF THE CENTRAL COLUMN. THE MASTER OF THE TOSEFTA CALLS THEM AND SAYS TO THEM, Draw near and hearken. THOSE WHO ARE PURSUING TO PERFECT MALCHUT TO ILLUMINATE HER WITH THE THREE COLUMNS, HEARKEN THE SYSTEM OF THIS UNIFICATION, HOW IT IS DONE.
212. When the two COLUMNS, CHOCHMAH AND BINAH, ascend and emerge towards the one CENTRAL COLUMN, they receive it between the two arms, WHICH ARE CHESED AND GVURAH. DUE TO THEIR RECEPTION OF THE CENTRAL COLUMN, CHOCHMAH AND BINAH DESCENDED TO BECOME CHESED AND GVURAH. FOR THE FIRST THREE OF THE FIRST THREE SFIROT WERE GONE FROM THEM. MALCHUT CANNOT AS YET RECEIVE CHOCHMAH FROM THEM, AS THE LIGHT OF CHASSADIM PREVAILS, WHILE CHOCHMAH THERE IS HIDDEN. Until the two, WHICH ARE CHESED AND GVURAH, descend below, MEANING THAT THEY BECOME NETZACH AND HOD, they are two, AS THE MAIN MOCHIN ARE TWO, RIGHT AND LEFT, THAT BECOME NETZACH AND HOD, and one between them - MEANING THAT THEY NEED THE CENTRAL COLUMN TO RECONCILE BETWEEN THEM, AND THAT IS YESOD. THE ARBITRATOR BETWEEN CHESED AND GVURAH IS CALLED 'TIFERET,' AND THE ARBITRATOR BETWEEN NETZACH AND HOD IS CALLED 'YESOD.' AND HE EXPLAINED HIS WORDS, These two, THAT DESCENDED BELOW, are the place from which the prophets gain nourishment; NAMELY NETZACH AND HOD. There is one between them, WHICH IS YESOD. It joins everything, BOTH THE RIGHT COLUMN AND THE LEFT COLUMN; it receives from everything, BOTH CHOCHMAH AND CHASSADIM, SINCE IT IS THE CENTRAL COLUMN THAT SUSTAINS THEIR ILLUMINATION, AND THEREFORE IT ALSO RECEIVES THEIR ILLUMINATION TO ITSELF. FOR THIS IS THE RULE, ALL THE ILLUMINATIONS THAT THE LOWER CAUSES TO BE SUSTAINED AMONG THE SUPERNAL IT TOO ATTAINS IN THEIR ENTIRETY.
213. That holy well, WHICH IS MALCHUT, WITH THE MOCHIN OF THE FIRST THREE SFIROT, is situated under them, MEANING UNDER NETZACH, HOD, AND YESOD - that is, the field of holy apple trees. From that well they would water the flocks - WHO ARE all these Chariots OF ANGELS, and all these ANGELS have wings. Three were found lying by this well. THEY ARE THE THREE SFIROT NETZACH, HOD AND YESOD, AS MENTIONED, and this well is filled by them IN THE LIGHT OF THE THREE FIRST SFIROT, and it is called 'Adonai.' About this is written, "Adonai Elohim, you have begun..." (Devarim 3:24), and, "And cause Your face to shine upon Your sanctuary that is desolate for the sake of Adonai, the Master of the whole earth" (Daniel 9:17). WHEN IT HAS THE THREE FIRST SFIROT, IT IS REFERRED TO IN THE MASCULINE, MASTER. This is what is written, "Behold the Ark of the Covenant (of) the Master of the whole earth..." (Yehoshua 3:11). In it is concealed one holy source, THAT IS YESOD, that flows into it constantly and fills it. And it is called Hashem Tzva'ot, blessed is He, forever and ever. (End of Tosefta).
214. "Now the priest of Midian has seven daughters and they came and drew water" (Shemot 2:16). Rabbi Yehuda said, If this well was the well of Jacob, is it not written BY JACOB: "And there were all the flocks gathered and they rolled the stone from the well's mouth" (Beresheet 29:3)? Yet here the daughters of Jethro did not need this. They just came and drew water without any other effort - MEANING OF ROLLING THE STONE FROM THE MOUTH OF THE WELL.
215. Rabbi Chiya answered, Jacob removed THE STONE from the well. It is written that when the flocks gathered there, they "put the stone back upon the well's mouth" (Ibid.). But by Jacob it is not written that 'he put the stone back,' because afterwards there was no more need for the stone, since originally the water would not rise. But when Jacob came, the water rose toward him BECAUSE THE WATER INCREASED. Therefore, that stone was no longer on the mouth of the well, SINCE THEY DID NOT NEED PROTECTION ANYMORE. Therefore, IT SAYS BY THE DAUGHTERS OF JETHRO, that they "came and drew," WITHOUT ANY EFFORT OF ROLLING THE STONE.