51. Rabbi Aba opened with, "And he said, Let me go, for the day breaks" (Beresheet 32:27). HE ASKS, "And he said, Let me go." Was he a prisoner in Jacob's hands?! AND HE ANSWERS, Happy are the righteous, that the Holy One, blessed be He, respects their honor and never leaves them. This is the meaning of, "He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved" (Tehilim 55:23). HE ASKS, Yet it is written, "and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was put out of joint" (Beresheet 32:26)?
52. HE ANSWERS, The angel took from his own. We learned the words, "and he himself lodged that night in the camp" (Ibid. 22), and, "he took them, and sent them over the wadi" (Ibid. 24). HE ASKS, What did Jacob have in mind to send them across the wadi at night, AND ANSWERS, He saw the persecutor walking among his camps. Jacob said to himself, I shall send them across the wadi. Perhaps confusion shall be avoided.
53. HE ASKS, What did he see? AND ANSWERS, He saw a flame of bright fire flying and sauntering among his camps. Jacob said to himself, it is better to take them from here ACROSS THE WADI, so the river may divide between them and thus there shall be no confusion, SINCE DEMONS CANNOT CROSS RIVERS. Immediately "he took them, and sent them over the wadi... And Jacob was left alone." SINCE JACOB PREVENTED HIM FROM HARMING THE CAMPS, "HE TOUCHED THE HOLLOW OF HIS THIGH; AND THE HOLLOW OF JACOB'S THIGH WAS PUT OUT OF JOINT." FOR HE TOOK FROM HIM WHAT WAS HIS OWN. From this we deduce about he who is at home alone at night or during the day in a certain house or more so at night IN A CERTAIN HOUSE. What is a certain house? IT IS unique and separate from other houses. Also whoever walks alone at night might come to harm.
54. Come and see, "And Jacob was left alone," and then, "there wrestled a man with him..." (Ibid. 25). We learned that THE ANGEL came from the aspect of Judgment and his dominion was at the side of night. What is the side of night? IT MEANS HE IS APPOINTED to bring YISRAEL into exile, WHICH IS CONSIDERED NIGHT AND DARKNESS. Once light rose, his power diminished and Jacob overpowered him, because he came from the aspect of night. THEREFORE as long as it was night Jacob could not prevail against him, but once light rose Jacob's power grew, and he grabbed him and overpowered him. THEN Jacob knew he was an angel.
55. THE ANGEL said to him, Release me, since I cannot prevail against you. Why could not he prevail against him? Because light rose and his power was broken, as it is written, "When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of Elohim shouted for joy" (Iyov 38:7). What is "shouted?" IT MEANS all those of the aspect of Judgment were shattered, SINCE 'YARI'U (ENG. 'SHOUTED')' IS DERIVED FROM 'SHATTERED.' THE SONS OF ELOHIM ARE ALL THOSE COMING FROM THE ASPECT OF JUDGMENT CALLED ELOHIM. Jacob then grew strong and seized him.
56. He said to him, "And he said, Let me go, for the day breaks," NAMELY, the time has come to gather and sing the praise of the Holy One, blessed be He. "And he said to him, I will not let you go, unless you bless (lit. 'blessed') me" (Beresheet 32:27). HE ASKS, It should have said, 'unless you shall bless me.' Why is it written, "unless you blessed me" IN THE PAST TENSE? AND HE ANSWERS, Jacob said to him, my father gave me the blessings he wished to confer upon Esau, and I fear you, whether you shall acknowledge these blessings or not, for you might denounce me because of them.
57. Forthwith he told him, "And he said, Your name shall be called no more Jacob" (Ibid. 29). HE ASKS, What did he tell him? AND HE ANSWERS, He said, you have acquired these blessings neither by means of deceit nor by supplanting. HENCE "Your name shall be called no more Jacob," AS ESAU SAID, "IS NOT HE RIGHTLY NAMED JACOB? FOR HE HAS SUPPLANTED ME THESE TWO TIMES" (BERESHEET 27:36), for it did not occur through supplanting. "but Israel" (Beresheet 32:29): Israel, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, from whom blessings come out, surely acknowledges you THAT THE BLESSINGS ARE YOURS, because you are attached to Him. Hence, I and the rest of the legions of angels acknowledge them that the blessings are yours.
58. "For you have contended with Elohim and with men, and have prevailed" (Ibid.). "With Elohim," namely, with all those coming from the aspect of harsh Judgment, "and with men" refers to Esau and his camps; "and have prevailed" means you prevailed against them but not they against you. Jacob did not release him until he acknowledged these blessings. This is the meaning of, "And he blessed him there" (Ibid. 30).
59. Come and see, when the light OF BINAH rises, all the litigants are subdued and are not to be found, and the Congregation of Yisrael is talking with the Holy One, blessed be He. That hour is a time of universal goodwill, and the King holds out to her, TO MALCHUT, and to all those that are with her, a scepter of the thread of Chesed, so as to be completely with the Holy King. We already learned this.
60. Come and see, when the Holy One, blessed be He, is TOGETHER with the Congregation of Yisrael, MALCHUT, whenever He is with her and she rouses first a desire towards Him and draws Him to her with great love and longing, MALCHUT is filled from the right side, WHICH IS CHASSADIM THAT ARE CONSIDERED MALE. And many legions of angels abide in the right side throughout the worlds. And when the Holy One, blessed be He, is the first to rouse love and desire and MALCHUT is roused after, but not when the Holy One, blessed be He, does, everything is considered female, WHICH IS MALCHUT. The left is awakened and many legions are awakened on the left side throughout the worlds. In the same manner it is written, "If a woman has conceived seed, and gave birth to a male child" (Vayikra 12:2). THIS MEANS THAT IF THE WOMAN HAS AN ORGASM FIRST SHE GIVES BIRTH TO A BOY. The reason, we learned, IS BECAUSE the lower world is in the likeness of the Upper World and the one resembles the other. JUST AS ABOVE, IF MALCHUT AWAKENS DESIRE FIRST, SHE IS FILLED FROM THE RIGHT SIDE, WHICH IS CONSIDERED MALE, SO IT IS BELOW.