302. Rabbi Elazar said, All these verses instruct us in wisdom. We have learned that in supernal matters, some depend on actions, SUCH AS TEFILIN AND THE TZIZIT (FRINGES;) some depend on speech, LIKE THE RECITAL OF THE SH'MA AND PRAYER; and some on devotion, SUCH AS LOVE AND FEAR. Whoever wishes to receive blessings should do so through prayer, speech, and devotion. Yet some are not DRAWN through prayer, but depend on actions.
303. Come and behold, all that honest Jacob did was wise. It is written, "And he set the rods which he had peeled before the flocks in the gutters in the watering troughs" (Beresheet 30:38). All this he did in wisdom, to draw blessings from the source of all to the supernal grades, which are his lot.
304. HE ASKS, What are "the rods?" AND HE ANSWERS, They are the grades of Judgment, "which he had peeled," NAMELY, from which he removed Judgment; "in the gutters" (Heb. rehatim) is similar to the verse, "a king is caught in its tresses (Heb. rehatim)" (Shir Hashirim 7:6), because from that king, THE SUPERNAL KING, blessings come to all the worlds.
305. Another explanation for the verse, "a king is caught in its tresses," is that this King, NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN, is bound and tied to the supernal gutters through which everything is watered by the high King. "...In the watering troughs..." refers to the rivers that run until they come to the place where they gather. "...When the flocks came to drink..." is similar to the verse, "they give drink to every wild beast, the wild asses quench their thirst" (Tehilim 104:11), which refers to the place where the water gathers, THE NUKVA, and everyone, THE INHABITANTS OF BRIYAH, YETZIRAH AND ASIYAH, comes to drink of it.
306. And they were heated." HE ASKS, What is the meaning of this verse? HE ANSWERS, When the north wind blows UPON THE NUKVA, NAMELY THE ILLUMINATION OF THE LEFT, CHOCHMAH WITHOUT CHASSADIM, water, which is plenty, congeals and does not flow. When the south wind, THE ILLUMINATION OF THE RIGHT, CHASSADIM, RISES, the water is heated, the ice breaks, and it flows TO THE THREE WORLDS, BRIYAH, YETZIRAH AND ASIYAH. Then everyone drinks, because the heat from the south breaks THE FROZEN WATER. Everyone is heated and drinks with joy, because the coldness of the north HAS PASSED. This is the meaning of the verse, "And they were heated." HE ASKS, Why is it written IN THE FEMININE, WHEN 'CATTLE' IS MASCULINE? HE ANSWERS, Because they are all females.