1. "And Jacob went out from Beer-Sheva, and went toward Charan" (Bereshit 28:10). Rabbi Chiya opened the discussion with the verse, "The sun also rises, and the sun goes down, and hastens to its place where it rises again" (Kohelet 1:5). This verse has been explained. The phrase, "the sun also rises," refers to Jacob, WHO IS ZEIR ANPIN, when he was in Beer-Sheva, WHICH IS BINAH. The phrase, "and the sun goes down," refers to Jacob when he went to Charan, THE NUKVA OF ZEIR ANPIN, as it is written, "And tarried there all night, for the sun was set" (Beresheet 28:11). The passage, "and hastens to its place where it rises again," is similar to the verse, "and lay down in that place to sleep" (Ibid. 11). THIS REFERS TO THE NUKVA, CALLED 'PLACE,' WHERE THE SUN HASTENS TO SHINE.
2. Come and behold, although the sun illuminates the whole world, it travels in only two directions, as it is written, "Goes towards the south, and veers to the north" (Kohelet 1:6), for south is the Right COLUMN and north is the Left COLUMN. And the sun rises every day from the east side, FROM ITS OWN ASPECT, TIFERET, and travels toward the south side, TO THE RIGHT COLUMN, CHESED. It then veers to the north side, TO THE LEFT COLUMN, GVURAH. THAT IS, IT EVENTUALLY COMBINES THE ILLUMINATION FROM BOTH COLUMNS. And from the north it veers toward the west, THE NUKVA. Then the sun moves to the west, where it sets. HE EXPLAINED THAT the sun rises in the east, as it is written, "And Jacob went out from Beer-Sheva," WHEN THE TWO COLUMNS, SOUTH AND NORTH, WERE COMBINED IN HIM. The sun goes west TO THE NUKVA, as it is written, "And went toward Charan." THIS TEACHES US THAT THE ILLUMINATION ALLUDED TO IN THE TEXT, "AND JACOB WENT OUT," IS A COMPLETE ILLUMINATION COMPRISING THE TWO COLUMNS, RIGHT AND LEFT, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF CHOCHMAH AND CHASSADIM COMBINED.
3. Rabbi Shimon said that Jacob went out of the ambit of the Land of Yisrael, as it is written, "And Jacob went out from Beer-Sheva," WHICH IS THE NUKVA IN ITS ENTIRETY, CALLED 'BEER-SHEVA,' AND CALLED THE 'Land of Yisrael.' And he went to another domain, as it is written, "And went toward Charan," OUTSIDE THE Land of Yisrael, WHERE THE OTHER SIDE RULES. THUS, Jacob came from the east, THE SECRET OF THE CENTRAL COLUMN THAT COMPRISES THE RIGHT AND LEFT COLUMNS, as it is written, "And Jacob went out from Beer-Sheva." This means that during the Sabbatical year, NAMELY, THE NUKVA, Jacob took the shining light from the supernal depth, BINAH, and traveled west. THAT IS, HE TOOK THE LIGHT WHICH SETS IN THE WEST, THE LEFT COLUMN WITHOUT THE RIGHT, "and went toward Charan," a place of Judgment and wrath (Heb. charon), WHICH IS THE DOMAIN OF THE OTHER SIDE.
4. According to Rabbi Yosi, this verse refers to the exile. For at first, the light descended from the supernal depth, WHICH IS BINAH, and Jacob, ZEIR ANPIN, took it with him and went to POUR IT on Beer-Sheva. THIS IS THE SECRET OF, "the well that the princes dug out" (Bemidbar 21:18). IT IS THE NUKVA, BUILT OF ABA AND IMA THAT ARE CALLED 'PRINCES,' FROM where Jacob received his illumination, and perfected the well (Heb. beer) in all its wholeness. During the days of exile, he wanders from Beer-Sheva to Charan, as written, "and went toward Charan" - that is, to fierce indignation (Heb. Charon). What is the fierce indignation of the Holy One, blessed be He? It is the evil grade, the land of the dominion of another, NAMELY, MALCHUT OF THE KLIPOT.
5. Rabbi Chiya said that when the sun, ZEIR ANPIN, goes west, THE NUKVA, the west, represents the throne of the sun, the place upon which the sun dwells. This is the meaning of the verse, "and hastens to its place where it rises again," for it goes to that place to shine upon it. It takes all the lights FROM THE RIGHT AND LEFT COLUMNS and gathers them to itself, THAT IS, IT BESTOWS THEM UPON THE NUKVA.
6. So we have learned that the Holy One, blessed be He, NAMELY, ZEIR ANPIN, puts on Tefilin which means He takes all the supernal crowns. What are they? They are the secret of the supernal Aba and supernal Ima; THEY ARE THE MOCHIN OF CHOCHMAH AND BINAH, THE SECRET OF THE TWO PASSAGES, "KADESH (SANCTIFY TO ME)" (DEVARIM 11:13) AND "VEHAYAH KI YEVIACHA (AND IT SHALL BE WHEN HASHEM SHALL BRING YOU)" (SHMOT 13:11-16). KADESH IS THE MOCHIN OF THE SUPERNAL ABA, WHICH IS CHOCHMAH. VEHAYAH KI YEVIACHA IS THE MOCHIN OF THE SUPERNAL IMA, BINAH. They are the head Tefilin, THE FIRST THREE SFIROT OF THE TEFILIN, THE SECRET OF YUD-HEI, CALLED 'HEAD.' Thus, we have learned that the High Priest takes the first (lit. 'in the head'), WHICH MEANS HE TAKES THE FIRST THREE SFIROT. After he took THE MOCHIN OF Aba and Ima, YUD-HEI, he received from the right and left OF THE MOACH OF DA'AT THE MYSTERY OF THE TWO PASSAGES, "SH'MA (HEAR, O YISRAEL)" (DEVARIM 6:4) AND "VEHAYAH IM SHAMOA (AND IT SHALL COME TO PASS, IF YOU HEARKEN)" (DEVARIM 11:13), THE SECRET OF VAV-HEI. So it is found that ZEIR ANPIN took all THE MOCHIN, THE CHOCHMAH, BINAH, CHESED, AND GVURAH, THE SECRET OF THE FOUR PASSAGES CALLED THE 'TEFILIN OF THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE.'
7. Rabbi Elazar SUPPORTS RABBI CHIYA by saying, The "splendor (Tiferet) of Yisrael," ZEIR ANPIN, takes all THE FOUR MOCHIN, CHOCHMAH, BINAH, TIFERET, AND MALCHUT. And when the Congregation of Yisrael is drawn upward TOWARDS BINAH, it too takes them all, LIKE ZEIR ANPIN, AND COMPRISES the male world of the Holy One, blessed be He, NAMELY BINAH, and the female world of the Holy One, blessed be He, ITS OWN ASPECT. And just as all the lights are emitted from this world OF BINAH, the world OF THE NUKVA ALSO absorbs them all. For the worlds are equal, THAT IS, BINAH IS NOW EQUAL TO THE NUKVA, SINCE THE LATTER WENT UP TO CLOTHE IT, AND THE LOWER THAT ASCENDS TO THE UPPER ASSUMES ITS IMAGE. Therefore, Beer-Sheva is a Jubilee, WHICH IS BINAH, and Beer-Sheva is the Sabbatical year, WHICH IS THE NUKVA. THIS MEANS THAT THE LIGHTS OF BINAH AND THE NUKVA ARE EQUAL, AND BOTH ARE CALLED 'BEER-SHEVA.' Because this sun illuminates only from the Jubilee the scripture reads, "And Jacob went out from Beer-Sheva," WHICH IS BINAH, ALSO CALLED 'BEER-SHEVA,' "and went toward Charan," the west, which is the Sabbatical year, NAMELY, THE NUKVA.
8. Rabbi Shimon said, "And Jacob went out from Beer-Sheva" is the west, the Sabbatical year, NAMELY, THE NUKVA; "and went toward Charan" is the year of orlah. For as he fled from his brother, he went out from the sacred domain into another domain. And when he reached Bethel, which is a sacred domain, it is written, "And he alighted on a certain place" (Beresheet 28:11).
9. HE ASKS, What is this place THAT SCRIPTURE MENTIONS? Rabbi Chiya said, This is the place OF ZEIR ANPIN, NAMELY, THE NUKVA, as it is written, "and hastens to its place," "and tarried there all night, because the sun was set," as is written, "and hastens to its place where it rises again," for he came there to shine upon it.
10. Notice that it is written, "And he took of the stones of that place," and not, 'the stones of the place.' THIS MEANS THAT HE CHOSE CERTAIN STONES FROM THERE. HE SAYS, These are precious stones, the twelve supernal pearls, as written, "Twelve stones" (I Melachim 18:31), underneath which are twelve thousands and tens of thousands of polished stones, all of which are called stones. Therefore, the scripture reads, "of the stones," and not, 'the stones.' The place is the place mentioned, NAMELY, THE NUKVA.