247. When they rose to leave, Rabbi Shimon said: We have something with us, MEANING THAT HE HAD ONE MORE THING TO TELL THEM. Rabbi Shimon then said: Two passages are written. One says, "Because Hashem your Elohim is a consuming fire" (Devarim 4:24), SIGNIFYING THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEAVE TO HIM, AS IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEAVE TO FIRE. The other says, "But you that did cleave of Hashem your Elohim are all alive every one of you this day" (Devarim 4:4), SIGNIFYING THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO CLEAVE TO HIM. These SEEMINGLY CONFLICTING passages have been explained repeatedly by the friends who have tackled them. But come and behold the verse, "Because Hashem your Elohim is a consuming fire." The friends have discussed that there is a fire that consumes and destroys even fire. Thus, there is a fire that is stronger than NORMAL fire, and that has been explained.
248. But come and behold: one who wants to learn the wisdom of holy unification must examine the flames arising from a glowing ember or lit candle, because the flames only rise if coming from a coarse object.
249. Come and see: In the rising flame there are two lights. One is a white and luminous light; the other is a blue or black light to which the white light is linked. The white shining light is higher and direct. Underneath it is the blue or black light, which serves as a pedestal for the white.
250. This shining white light spreads over THE BLUE, and the two lights unite to become one. And this black light, or the blue tint underneath it, serves as a Throne of Glory for the white light. Hence, its appearance is the secret of blue. IT IS THE ASPECT OF THE THRONE OF GLORY, WHICH RESEMBLES BLUE, AS IS GENERALLY KNOWN.
253. This BLUE LIGHT links in two directions. It connects to the white light above it and to the COARSE object underneath it, NAMELY THE WICK. The wick is designated as the place to which the light may connect and from which it radiates. THE WICK SERVES AS THE POINT AT WHICH THE BLUE LIGHT CONNECTS WITH THE SHINING WHITE LIGHT.
254. The BLUE LIGHT OF THE CANDLE always consumes and destroys the COARSE object prepared for it, NAMELY THE WICK, because the blue light consumes and burns all that it comes into contact with underneath it. And because its nature is to consume and scorch, it is the source of the destruction and death of all. THE BLUE LIGHT IS THE SECRET OF THE NUKVA, OR THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE, FROM WHICH DEATH AND DESTRUCTION ORIGINATE. It therefore consumes whatever it links to below.
255. The white light that prevails on THE BLUE LIGHT never consumes or destroys, and it never changes color. IT IS THE LIGHT OF CHASSADIM, WHICH NEVER CHANGES OR BECOMES COARSE AND WHICH IS FREE FROM JUDGMENT. THEREFORE, IT DOES NOT DESTROY OR CHANGE. That is why Moses said, "For Hashem your Elohim is a consuming fire." It is because fire consumes and destroys all that is underneath it that MOSES said, "your Elohim" and not "our Elohim." Moses was A CHARIOT FOR the supernal white light that neither burns nor destroys, AND WHICH CANNOT BE TOUCHED BY JUDGMENTS.