5. Rabbi Elazar opened the discussion, saying: "Now there was a day when the sons of Elohim came to present themselves before Hashem, and the Adversary came also among them" (Iyov 1:6). "Now there was a day," refers to Rosh Hashanah, the day that the Holy One, blessed be He, rises to judge the world. Similarly, "And it happened one day, that he came there" (II Melachim 4:11). That day was the holy day of Rosh Hashanah.
6. "And the sons of Elohim came." These are the appointed ministers whose mission in the world is to observe the actions of people. "To present themselves before Hashem," as it is written, "And all the hosts of heaven standing by Him on His right hand and on His left" (I Melachim 22:19). But in the passage, "To present themselves before Hashem," I have found the love of the Holy One, blessed be He, toward Yisrael. These messengers who are appointed to observe the actions of people wander around IN THE WORLD and take all these actions, and on the day that Judgment rises to judge the world, they became accuses so they are DENOUNCING people. Come and behold, of all the nations in the world, THE MINISTERS stand to watch over the activities of Yisrael only, because they are the children of the Holy One, blessed be He.
7. When the actions of the children of Yisrael were found to be improper, the appointed messengers stand against these actions of Yisrael, and stand by Hashem. For when the children of Yisrael perform actions that are not good, they weaken, so to speak, the strength of the Holy One, blessed be He. When they perform good actions, they give might and power to the Holy One, blessed be He. Of this, it is written, "Give strength to Elohim" (Tehilim 68:35). How IS STRENGTH GIVEN? By good actions. Therefore, all the appointed ministers gathered by (lit. 'upon' - Why not write "upon," then, instead of "by?") Hashem on that day. 'Upon' Hashem most certainly, for they gathered TO BRING ACCUSATIONS upon Yisrael, WHICH AMOUNTS TO having gathered against Hashem TO WEAKEN HIS STRENGTH, SO TO SPEAK.
8. "The Adversary also came among them." The word "also" adds THE CHILDREN OF ELOHIM, because they all came to accuse Yisrael, and THE ADVERSARY also joined them because he was the greatest slanderer of them all. As soon as the Holy One, blessed be He, saw that they all came to accuse, immediately, "And Hashem said to the Adversary, 'From where do you come?'" (Iyov 1:7), SINCE HE WAS THE GREATEST OF THEM ALL. HE ASKS, Did not the Holy One, blessed be He, know where he came from SO THAT HE HAD TO ASK HIM? HE ANSWERS, Rather only to allow the matter to the wishes of the Satan, MEANING THAT WITH THESE WORDS HE GAVE HIM AN OPENING TO ACCUSE AS HE WISHES.
9. "And Hashem said to the Adversary... Then the Adversary answered Hashem and said, 'From going to and fro in the earth'" (Iyov 1:7). From here I learned that the settling of the earth is given over to Others Side, NAMELY THE SEVENTY NATIONS, except for the Land of Yisrael exclusively, WHICH IS SECURED IN HOLINESS FOR THE CHILDREN OF YISRAEL. THEREFORE, since he said, "From going to and fro in the earth," THE WORD "EARTH" IS UNSPECIFIED AND MEANS THE LAND OF YISRAEL. The Holy One, blessed be He, saw that the Satan wanted to slander Yisrael AND NOT JOB OR OTHERS WHO WERE CONSIDERED OF THE NATIONS WHO INHABIT THE OTHER LANDS. Immediately, "Hashem said to the Adversary, 'Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on earth...'" (Ibid. 8).
10. He saw THAT NOW WAS the opportune time to give THE SATAN a portion with which to be occupied, so he would be kept afar from Yisrael. They explained this to be similar to a shepherd who wanted to get his sheep across a river WHEN A WOLF CAME TO ATTACK THE SHEEP. WHAT DOES AN EXPERIENCED SHEPHERD DO? HE TAKES A BIG HE-GOAT AND GIVES IT TO THE WOLF, SAYING: LET HIM FIGHT WITH THE HE-GOAT UNTIL I LET MY SHEEP CROSS OVER THE RIVER AND THEN I WILL RETURN AND TAKE THIS ONE ALSO. THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, DID LIKEWISE. HE GAVE JOB TO THE ADVERSARY TO BE OCCUPIED WITH SO HE WOULD NOT ACCUSE YISRAEL. Immediately, the Satan busied himself with him and did not accuse Yisrael.
11. "And the Adversary answered Hashem and said, 'Is it for naught that Job fears Elohim?'" (Ibid. 9). It is not surprising that a servant, whose master does his desire, fears him. Remove Your supervision from him and You will see if he still fears You or not.
12. Come and behold, During a time of duress, when a portion is given to this Side with which to occupy itself, it goes away by following it entirely. Similarly, a he-goat is sacrificed on the first day of the month and on Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). THIS IS THE SECRET MEANING OF GIVING A PORTION TO THE OTHER SIDE, WHICH IS GIVEN TO IT in order that it shall be occupied, and so leave Yisrael in their kingdom. The time had arrived to take this portion from the whole seed of Abraham FOR the Other Side, as was it is written, "Behold Milkah, she also has born...Utz his firstborn..." (Beresheet 22:21). JOB WAS IN THE LAND OF UTZ, MEANING THAT HE WAS OF THE FAMILY OF ABRAHAM.
13. Come and behold, When THE ADVERSARY said, "From going to and fro in the earth," he requested Hashem to execute Judgment on the children of Yisrael. THE UNSPECIFIED WORD "EARTH" REFERS TO THE LAND OF YISRAEL, because he had an accusation against Abraham and he claimed it from the Holy One, blessed be He. AND THAT WAS because justice was not performed against Isaac when he was offered on the altar, and he should not have exchanged the offering that he prepared on the altar for another, NAMELY THE RAM, as it is written, "And he should not exchange it" (Vayikra 27:10). Isaac was already on the altar. He was not consummated to be a sacrifice, yet no punishment was carried against him. He requested this from the Holy One, blessed be He, as he requested Justice for the selling of Joseph for many generations. Anything that THE SATAN requests, HE REQUESTS by means of Judgment.
14. After Isaac was saved and his offering exchanged, the Holy One, blessed be He, prepared this FOR the Accuser, NAMELY JOB, for his portion. AS IT IS WRITTEN, "Behold Milkah, she also has born...Utz his firstborn..." NAMELY JOB, WHO DWELT IN THE LAND OF UTZ. THIS WAS SAID IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE BINDING OF ISAAC. Here, AT THE BIRTH OF UTZ, THE SATAN arrived to take for his portion from all the seed of Abraham, so he would not approach TO DAMAGE another side, NAMELY THE CHILDREN OF YISRAEL.