368. "And Hashem said, 'Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language'" (Beresheet 11:6). Because their unity had enabled them to succeed in what they were doing, all the levels and all the nations below, THE BRANCHES OF THOSE LEVELS, they shall be scattered. And what is written? "So Hashem scattered them abroad from there" (Ibid. 8). THIS MEANS THAT THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, PASSED JUDGMENT AND BROUGHT JUDGMENT UPON THE UPPER ROOTS, BECAUSE THE BRANCHES ARE AFFECTED BY THEIR ROOTS.
369. And if you ask: Then why was their language confounded? The answer is, because they all spoke the holy language, they were able TO COMMAND THE SUPERNAL GRADES WITH OATHS. Achieving the right intention of the heart depends on actions and words. By THE POWER OF THEIR INTENTIONS, they strengthened and aided the establishment of the place.
370. For that reason, their language was confounded, and they were no longer able to strengthen their intentions using the holy language. The supernal powers know only the holy language, AND when their language was confounded, their strength flagged and their power was broken. THE CONFUSION OF THEIR LANGUAGE weakened their strength BELOW AND BROKE THEIR CONCENTRATION. THUS, their power was broken ABOVE.
371. Come and behold: Any words, OATHS, the lower beings spoke in AND the holy language was known by all the hosts of heaven. They are strengthened by AND RECEIVE EXTRA POWER from it. They neither understand nor accept any language other than the holy language. Once the language of the people was confounded, "they ceased to build the city" (Beresheet 11:8). Their power was broken and they could do nothing more with their intentions.
372. "Blessed be the name of Elohim, from everlasting to everlasting; for wisdom and might are His" (Daniel 2:20). Because the Holy One, blessed be He, brought the secrets of supernal wisdom down to earth, the people became corrupt and wanted to provoke Him.
373. He passed the supernal wisdom onto Adam, and through this wisdom, Adam recognized the grades. Adam stuck to the Evil Inclination until the sources of Knowledge left him. Then he returned to his Master and part of this wisdom came back to him, but not as it had been before. And after that, through the book THE ANGEL RAZIEL GAVE HIM, he was able to achieve wisdom again. Later, people sinned BY MISUSING THIS WISDOM before THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE.
374. Adam passed this wisdom to Noah, who used it to serve the Holy One, blessed be He. But what is written next? "And he drank of the wine and was drunk; and he was uncovered" (Beresheet 9:21). He then passed it onto Abraham, who also used it to serve the Holy One, blessed be He. But then Ishmael, who was descended from him, angered the Holy One, blessed be He. From Isaac, came Esau. Jacob married two sisters.
375. He passed the wisdom to Moses, of whom it was said: "He is the trusted one in all My house" (Bemidbar 12:17). There was no one like Moses, who was faithful man in all of the levels and whose heart was seduced by none, and who stood firmly in his supernal faith.
376. He passed the supernal wisdom on to King Solomon. And what is written in the Proverbs of Solomon? "the burden. Thus says the man to Itiel, even to Itiel and I am consumed (Heb. ukal)" (Mishlei 30:1). Solomon said: "Itiel," meaning El is with me (Heb. iti), and since wisdom is His, I shall be able (Heb. uchal) to do what I want WITHOUT FAIL. THAT IS, EVEN THOUGH THE TORAH SAYS THAT A KING SHOULD NOT TAKE MANY WIVES SO THAT HIS HEART WILL NOT TURN AWAY, KING SOLOMON SAID: 'I SHALL MARRY MANY WOMEN AND MY HEART WILL NOT TURN AWAY. FOR ITI-EL, EL IS WITH ME, AND HAS GIVEN ME HIS WISDOM.' BUT after that, IT IS WRITTEN: "Hashem raised up an adversary (Heb. Satan) for Solomon" (I Melachim 11:14), ALLUDING TO THE FACT THAT IN HIS OLD AGE, HIS WIVES DID TURN AWAY HIS HEART AND HE WAS PUNISHED.
377. Come and behold: Because of part of the wisdom that the generation of the Tower of Babylon received from their forefathers, they provoked the Holy One, blessed be He, and built the tower. They persisted until they were scattered all over the face of the earth, lost all their wisdom, and could accomplish nothing.