276. Rabbi Yitzchak then opened the discussion and said: "The king joys in Your strength, Hashem, and in Your salvation how greatly he rejoices. You have given him his heart's desire... He asked life of You..." (Tehilim 21:2-5). David sang this in praise of the Congregation of Yisrael, MALCHUT, which the Holy One, blessed be He gladdens with the joy of Torah called 'strength', as it is written, "Hashem will give strength to His people" (Tehilim 29:11). THIS IS THE MEANING OF "THE KING JOYS IN YOUR STRENGTH..." "The king joys" refers to the Holy One, blessed be He called 'king', as it is written, "and there was a king in Yeshurun" (Devarim 33:5).
277. "And in Your salvation how greatly he rejoices." This is the salvation of the right, WHICH IS CHASSADIM, as you say, "Save with Your right hand" (Tehilim 60:7), and 'His right hand shall save him.' In "how greatly he rejoices (Heb. yagil)" an extra Yud IS WRITTEN, ('YAGIL' INSTEAD OF 'YAGEL'). It is the secret of the sign of the Holy Covenant, in which all rejoice, NAMELY YESOD. 'All' is said of the King, WHO IS ZEIR ANPIN.
278. "He asked life of You, and You did give it him; length of days for ever and ever" (Tehilim 21:5). We learned from here that King David had no life whatsoever, except what Adam gave him of his own. It was established that King David lived 72 years, the seventy years given him by the Holy One, blessed be He from the years of Adam, WHO HAD A THOUSAND YEARS TO LIVE, ACCORDING TO THE SECRET OF THE VERSE, "ON THE DAY THAT YOU EAT..." (BERESHEET 2:17). A DAY OF THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE LASTS A THOUSAND YEARS, BUT ADAM LIVED ONLY NINE HUNDRED THIRTY YEARS, AND THE SEVENTY HE GAVE TO KING DAVID. David lived upon them, and was given longevity in this world and in the World to Come. The verse, "He asked life of You, and You did give him" refers to this matter.
279. "His glory is great" (Tehilim 21:6), because He is great, as it is written, "Great is our Master, and of great power" (Tehilim 147:5). Assuredly, ZEIR ANPIN is called 'great'. This is the secret of "And Elohim made the two great lights" (Beresheet 1:6). Surely they were great, EVEN MALCHUT, CALLED 'MOON', WAS AS GREAT AS ZEIR ANPIN, CALLED 'SUN'. With all that ZEIR ANPIN is called 'great' as it is said, "great is our Master, and of great power," BUT MALCHUT IS NOT CALLED 'GREAT', SINCE IT DIMINISHED. The Holy One, blessed be He is not called 'great', only by the words, "Great is Hashem, and highly to be praised in the city of our Elohim, in the mountain of His holiness" (Tehilim 48:2), MEANING THAT ZEIR ANPIN is great ONLY in the city of our Elohim, in the mountain of His holiness, WHICH IS MALCHUT.
280. "For You put blessings upon him forever" (Tehilim 21:7). For You put blessings upon him," because MALCHUT is a blessing of the whole world, and all the blessings of the world emerge from here. And it is a blessing. This is the secret of "and you shall be a blessing" (Beresheet 12:2), because here, IN MALCHUT, dwell all the blessings of above and hence they go into the whole world. It is therefore called 'a blessing'.
281. It is written here: "You make him glad" (Tehilim 21:7), and "Jethro rejoiced" (Shemot 18:9). IN THE LATTER VERSE THERE WAS JOY FOR THE REDEMPTION OF YISRAEL FROM EGYPT, IN THE FORMER ALSO FOR REDEMPTION, that the Holy One, blessed be He is destined to raise the Congregation of Yisrael, MALCHUT, from the dust, keep it in the secret of the right and renew it like the moon is renewed by the sun.
282. It is written, "You make him glad with Your countenance" (Tehilim 21:7) MEANING THAT he will be before You, gladly in front of You with the perfection achieved at the time, NAMELY, IN THE FUTURE. For at the time the Temple was destroyed, MALCHUT emptied of her fullness, as it is said, "she that has borne seven languishes" (Yirmeyah 15:9), and, "I shall be filled with her that is laid waste" (Yechezkel 26:2), FOR IN THE FUTURE SHE WILL BE RENEWED AGAIN.