386. While they were walking along, a large eagle came and circled their heads, remaining over them. Rabbi Pinchas said, This is certainly a favorable time, right now, and the Gates of Mercy are open for all those who are on a sick bed, and this is the time to heal them. And although they are the prisoners of the King, FOR THEY ARE CONFINED TO THEIR BEDS, this eagle is a sign of Mercy, FOR THE FACE OF THE EAGLE IS THE SECRET OF THE CENTRAL COLUMN, WHICH IS MERCY.
387. He began by quoting: "As an eagle that stirs up her nest, broods over her young" (Devarim 32:11). There is none in the world that has mercy over its young as does the eagle. This we have already learned as it is written: "and the young vultures shall eat it" (Mishlei 30:17), for he is merciful to his children. And since now is the time of mercy, this eagle has come and circled around us. This is the time of mercy for all those who are ill AND LYING ON THEIR BEDS, and this is as it is written: "My voice shall You hear in the morning, Hashem" (Tehilim 5:4), this being the morning of Abraham, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF CHESED, and the awakening OF CHESED.
388. While he was speaking, the eagle flew in a circle and went ahead of them. Rabbi Pinchas said, Eagle, eagle, what are you doing here with us? If you have come on a mission from your Master, here we are. If you have come for something else, then, we are here, ready. The eagle flew upwards and disappeared from their sight, and they sat down.
389. Rabbi Chiya said: This matter of King Solomon is wondrous, for we have learned that a large eagle used to come to King Solomon every day, and King Solomon would ride on the wings, and they would travel four hundred parasangs in one hour. Where did the eagle take him? "and Tarmod in the wilderness" (I Melachim 9:18), in the hills. There is a certain place among the mountains of darkness that is called "Tarmod in the wilderness," and this is not the place WHERE the Tarmodites LIVE, but Tarmod that is in the wilderness in the hills, where all the spirits AND FORCES of the Other Side gather. And that eagle would fly there in one hour.
390. Once the eagle stood over that place, TARMOD, the eagle drew itself up, and Solomon wrote a note and threw it down there, and THEREBY was saved from those spirits. And the eagle used to look into the darkness of the mountains, to the place where Uza and Azael were imprisoned by chains of iron, thrust and anchored in the depths; there is no man in the world that has the ability to enter there, not even birds of the heaven, with the exception of Bilaam.
391. And since the eagle used to look into the great darkness, he FLEW down low and took King Solomon under his left wing and covered him. And THE EAGLE stood upon those chains OF UZA AND AZAEL, and drew near to them. Solomon then took out a ring, on which he had engraved the Holy Name, and placed it in the eagle's mouth. And immediately they, UZA AND AZAEL, would say everything that King Solomon wanted, and from there Solomon acquired wisdom. This is as it is written: "And Solomon built (Heb. vayiven)... Tarmod in the wilderness, in the land" (Ibid.). HE ASKS, Did he really put up a building in the land? No! So what is meaning of "vayiven?" VAYIVEN COMES FROM THE WORD HAVANAH (ENG. 'UNDERSTANDING'), for he looked with understanding and knew that place, TARMOD, from which he acquired wisdom.