40. Tosefta (addendum). Mishnah. Rabbi Shimon said, We open our eyes and see the wheels of the Holy Chariot traveling in their journeys, and the sound of a song sweet to the ears, WHICH IS BINAH, and good for the heart, SYMBOLIZING MALCHUT, which ascends and descends, and walks but does not travel. Thousands upon thousands tremble, and tens upon tens of thousands start with the singing OF CHOCHMAH from below upwards.
41. To that pleasant sound FROM THE TRAVELING OF THE WHEELS stand 450,000 eyed ones, who gather into one group on the right side. They see, yet do not see, and are completely present. The two other sides, WHICH ARE LEFT AND CENTER, turn white because of them - MEANING THAT THEIR JUDGMENTS, WHICH ARE RED, ARE CHANGED, BECAUSE THEY RECEIVE CHASSADIM FROM THE RIGHT COLUMN. And on the left side are 250,000.
42. THE 250,000 MENTIONED EARLIER, the weepers sob and wail from their dwellings WHENCE THEY COME, and they commence with Judgment and conclude with Judgment. They sob a second time and the Judgment is revealed, and the books are opened TO LOOK AT THE JUDGMENTS THAT ARE IN THEM. At that moment, the Judge who was standing over them ascends, and sits on the chair of Judgment, and the singing subsides before the Judgment is concluded.
43. Those who have eyes of the right side encircle, together with eighteen thousand others. They blow, THAT IS, DRAW CHASSADIM, WHICH IS CALLED 'BLOWING,' A SIMPLE SOUND. AND THEN THOSE do not sob or wail. They commence with singing, DRAWING CHOCHMAH. And the 250,000 ones who sob tremble.
44. He blows AND DRAWS CHASSADIM a second time, without sobbing. The Protector, ZEIR ANPIN, travels from that throne OF JUDGMENT and sits in the throne of Mercy TO DRAW MANY CHASSADIM. At that moment he, MEANING ZEIR ANPIN, mentions the Holy Name, YUD HEI VAV HEI, FULLY SPELLED TO AMOUNT NUMERICALLY TO 45: YUD-VAV-DALET; HEI-ALEPH; VAV-ALEPH-VAV; HEI-ALEPH. For with this Name, life is drawn for everyone.
45. He commences, ZEIR ANPIN WHICH IS THE CENTRAL COLUMN, saying one time, Yud-Vav-Dalet; Hei-Aleph; Vav-Aleph-Vav; Hei-Aleph-YUD-VAV- DALET; HEI-ALEPH; VAV-ALEPH-VAV ARE THE SECRET OF THE THREE COLUMNS, RIGHT, LEFT, AND CENTRAL, THAT ARE INCLUDED IN ZEIR ANPIN. THE LAST HEI-ALEPH IS THE NUKVA THAT RECEIVES FROM THEM, as is written, "And proclaimed the Name of Hashem" (Shemot 34:5). The holy wheels OF THE CHARIOT commence as before and thousands of thousands, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF CHOCHMAH, and tens upon tens of thousands, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF CHASSADIM, ATTIRE THEM AND recite songs. THE ANGELS praise and say, "Blessed is the glory of Hashem from His dwelling place," SO THAT THE SHECHINAH SHALL BE BLESSED FROM ZEIR ANPIN, AND RECEIVE FROM HIM CHOCHMAH ATTIRED IN CHASSADIM.
46. Then that garden, NAMELY THE SHECHINAH, comes - which is hidden in 250 worlds. This is the precious Shechinah in Her shine OF CHOCHMAH that goes out from the shine OF CHOCHMAH AND COMBINES AND HIDES in the shine OF CHASSADIM. And the shine is drawn from Her to the four directions - CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET AND MALCHUT, WHICH ARE THE FOUR branches - in order to provide for them IN MOCHIN. THIS IS THE SECRET OF THE VERSE, "AND FROM THENCE IT WAS PARTED, AND BRANCHED INTO FOUR STREAMS..." (BERESHEET 2:10). And this shine is drawn from Her to all that are below, and she is called 'the Garden of Eden.'
47. The old man commenced speaking again, REFERRING TO ZEIR ANPIN, FOR AFTER HE ASCENDED TO ARICH ANPIN HE IS ALSO CALLED 'OLD.' He protects everything, MEANING BOTH THE DRAWING OF CHOCHMAH AND THE DRAWING OF CHASSADIM, and mentions the name Yud-Vav-Dalet; Hei-Aleph; Vav-Aleph-Vav; Hei-Aleph. And they all commence by DRAWING THE LIGHTS FROM the Thirteen Measures of Mercy. Who has seen these strong lights which are the highest of the high, strongest of the strong! The holy Chariots and the heavens and their hosts tremble and shake with great fear, and praise the Holy Name and recite poetry. Fortunate are the souls of the righteous who are present in this luxuriousness and know this. About this, it is said, "Who would not fear You, King of the nations? For to You it is fitting..." (Yirmeyah 10:7). End of Tosefta.
48. Rabbi Shimon said, When the Shechinah descended into Egypt, one living creature OF THE FOUR LIVING CREATURES OF THE HOLY CHARIOT, whose name is Yisrael, descended in the form of that old man MENTIONED IN THE PREVIOUS VERSE, WHO IS ZEIR ANPIN. And 42 holy attendants descended with it, MEANING 42 ANGELS, and each one had a holy letter from the Holy Name OF MEM-BET (42). THESE ANGELS THAT ATTEND THE LIVING CREATURES WHOSE NAME IS YISRAEL ARE CALLED 'THE CHILDREN OF YISRAEL' AND ARE DRAWN FROM THE NAME OF MEM-BET (42), WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE FIRST THREE SFIROT OF THAT LIVING CREATURES. And they all descended with Jacob into Egypt. This is what is written, "And these are the names of the children of Israel who came into Egypt with Jacob" (Shemot 1:1). Rabbi Yitzchak said, This is the meaning of "the children of Yisrael," "with Jacob," instead of 'with him.'
49. Rabbi Yehuda asked Rabbi Elazar, the son of Rabbi Shimon, You learned from your father the portion of "And these are the names" THAT HE EXPLAINED according to the supernal secret, THAT THE CHILDREN OF YISRAEL ARE 42 HOLY ANGELS, AS EXPLAINED ABOVE. So what is the meaning of, "every man came with his household?" ANGELS DO NOT HAVE A HOUSEHOLD. RABBI ELAZAR said to him, What my father said MEANS the supernal angels, those who are higher than those who are lower among them. This is what is written, "Every man came with his household." THE HIGHER ANGEL IS CALLED "MAN" AND THE ONE LOWER THAN HIM IS CALLED "HIS HOUSEHOLD." Likewise, my father said that all the angels in the higher level are called "males" and those in the level below them are called "females," and ARE CALLED "household" because a female receives from the male AND SHE IS LIKE A HOUSE TO HIM.