56. Rabbi Elazar opened the discussion with the verse: "And Aaron took him Elisheba daughter of Amminadav, sister of Nachshon, to wife" (Shemot 6:23). "And Aaron took," properly, as the supernal model. Come and behold: Elisheba, WHO IS MALCHUT, was destined for Aaron from the day of the creation of the world, and Bathsheba, WHO IS MALCHUT, was destined for David from the time of the creation of the world.
57. HE ASKS: SINCE BOTH OF THEM ARE MALCHUT, what is the difference between them, BETWEEN BATHSHEBA AND ELISHEBA? HE ANSWERS: All is one AND BOTH ARE MALCHUT, but one name refers to Judgment, the other to Mercy. When she was joined with David, it was for THE ASPECT OF Judgment (to wage war and shed blood), while here with Aaron it was for peace, joy, gladness and to be blessed BY HIM. Therefore, she is called Bathsheba there and Elisheba here, because Elisheba was joined with Mercy, FOR SHE CONTAINS THE LETTERS ELI-SHEVA AND EL IS MERCY. Bathsheba was sent before Judgment in order to be a worthy heir of the royal family and to gain strength.
58. Rabbi Shimon said: What we have learned of "the sound of the Shofar" (Shemot 19:16), is well and that is Jacob, who occurred in thought, WHICH IS CHOCHMAH, with the Fathers - NAMELY, INCLUDED WITH CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET. They all came out of the Shofar, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF BINAH CALLED 'THE SUPERNAL IMA.' As the Shofar, WHEN BLOWN, draws out water, air and fire, and all together they create a sound, so does the supernal Ima - WHICH IS CALLED 'SHOFAR' - draw out the Fathers (WHO ARE CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET) in one sound, WHICH IS THE CENTRAL COLUMN, TIFERET. From the plane of thought, they arose in one sound that was called "the sound of the Shofar," who is also Jacob, THE CENTRAL COLUMN. This is including the Fathers - CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET - together, FOR THE CENTRAL COLUMN INCLUDES WITHIN ITSELF ALL THREE COLUMNS, and it is called "a sound."
59. There are two sounds, as a sound that comes out of a sound. But there is one sound, called 'the sound of the Shofar.' All other sounds come out from the Shofar in the bringing together of the thought, WHICH IS THE UNITY OF CHOCHMAH WITH BINAH. There are seven sounds - CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD, YESOD AND MALCHUT OF ZEIR ANPIN - which emerge by the unity of the thought with the Shofar, WHICH ARE CHOCHMAH WITH BINAH. That Shofar, WHICH IS BINAH, waters first the Fathers - CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET - and afterwards the children - NETZACH, HOD, YESOD AND MALCHUT - as was already explained.
60. Come and see: "And Aaron took him Elisheba," WHO IS MALCHUT, to perfume her and gladden her and join her with the Holy King, WITH ZEIR ANPIN, in a perfect union - so that blessings may be spread all over the world, diffused through Aaron. Therefore, the priest must ever be smiling and joyful as the supernal model above, for blessings and joy come through him. Therefore, punishment, wrath and gloom are removed from him, so that he may not be disqualified from the place to which he is linked, NAMELY MALCHUT. Therefore, "let your brethren, the whole house of Yisrael bewail the burning" but not the priest. It is also written: "Bless Hashem, His substance, and accept the work of His hands" (Devarim 33:11).