13. "You have begun to show Your servant" (Devarim 3:23). HE ASKS, What manner of a beginning is here, IN SAYING, "YOU HAVE BEGUN?" AND HE ANSWERS, Surely Moses was a beginning in the world, in being absolutely perfect. You may say that Jacob was perfect PRIOR TO MOSES. For the tree, ZEIR ANPIN, was perfected through him below as it was above, BECAUSE HE HAD TWELVE SONS THAT CORRESPOND TO THE TWELVE BORDERS OF ZEIR ANPIN AND SEVENTY SOULS THAT CORRESPOND TO THE SEVENTY BRANCHES IN THE SUPERNAL TREE, ZEIR ANPIN. It is surely so. But Moses attained what no one else did, by being more completely bedecked with many thousands and tens of thousands of people of Yisrael, with the Torah, with the Tabernacle, with the priests and Levites, with the twelve tribes, WITH TWELVE princes appointed over them, with the seventy members of the Sanhedrin. He was completed in a whole body, THE SECRET OF TIFERET THAT INCLUDES RIGHT AND LEFT. For Aaron was to his right, Nachshon to his left and he was between them.
14. For that reason IT IS WRITTEN, "YOU HAVE BEGUN TO SHOW YOUR SERVANT Your greatness," NAMELY from the right, Aaron; "and Your mighty hand" (Ibid.), NAMELY from the left, which is Nachshon. We already learned that. It was Moses therefore who was a beginning in the world, AND NOT JACOB. You may ask who was the ending. AND HE ANSWERS, King Messiah is the ending, because then there will be perfection in the world, which was not the case for generations. At that time perfection will abide above and below, and all the worlds will be united as one. Then it is written, "on that day Hashem shall be one, and His name One" (Zecharyah 14:9).
15. "And Hashem said to me, Let it suffice you; speak no more..." (Devarim 3:26). Rabbi Chiya said, The Holy One, blessed be He, said to Moses: 'Moses, "Let it suffice you" to have joined the Shechinah. From now on, "speak no more." Rabbi Yitzchak said, "Let it suffice you," the light of the sun that was with you; "no more" because the time for the moon has come, WHICH IS JOSHUA, and the moon cannot shine until the sun is gathered. "But charge Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him" (Ibid. 28). You, who are the sun, should illuminate the moon. We have already learned this.
16. "But you that did cleave to Hashem your Elohim" (Devarim 4:4). Rabbi Yosi said, "Happy is that people, that is in such a case" (Tehilim 144:15). Happy is the people whom the Holy One, blessed be He, has chosen above all heathen peoples and raised to His lot, and blessed them with His blessing, with His name's blessing. This is the meaning of, "they are the seed which Hashem has blessed" (Yeshayah 61:9), Hashem has actually blessed, NAMELY, THE BLESSING OF HIS NAME.
17. Come and see, the Holy One, blessed be He, gave all the rest of the nations in the world to the appointed ministers that rule over them. As for Yisrael, the Holy One, blessed be He, held to them for His lot and portion, to actually unite with them. And He gave them the holy Torah in order to unite with His name. Hence, "you that did cleave to Hashem," and not to any other minister as the other nations. This has been explained in different places.