192. Come and behold: When the day is sanctified on the evening of Shabbat, a Tabernacle of Peace descends and settles on the world. HE ASKS: What is this Tabernacle of Peace? AND HE ANSWERS: It is the Shabbat. On Shabbat, all the evil spirits, stormy spirits, demons, and the defiled hide behind the millstone of the chasm of the great abyss. For when the sanctity spreads over the world, the spirit of defilement does not waken; one runs from the other. HOLINESS SHUNS THE UNCLEAN, AND THE UNCLEAN SHUNS HOLINESS.
193. Thus, ON SHABBAT, the world is under supernal protection. As a result, there is no need to pray for protection, as when one says, "who protects His people, Yisrael, forever, Amen." This blessing was prescribed for weekdays, when the world needs protection, but on Shabbat, a Tabernacle of Peace is spread over the world and protects it from all directions. Even the sinners of Gehenom are preserved, and all remain in peace, both the upper and lower. Hence, upon sanctifying the day, we say, "He who spreads the tabernacle of peace over us and over all His people Yisrael and over Jerusalem," INSTEAD OF "HE WHO PROTECTS HIS PEOPLE YISRAEL," AS ON WEEKDAYS.
194. YET, HE ASKS: Why over Jerusalem? AND HE ANSWERS: Because it is the abode of this tabernacle. It behooves one to PRAY AND summon the Tabernacle OF PEACE, so that it will be spread upon us, dwell with us, and be to us like a mother protecting her children. One, therefore, fears nothing ON SHABBAT from any side OF THE WORLD. Therefore, one says, "who spreads the tabernacle of peace over us," AND THERE IS NO NEED TO SAY "WHO PROTECTS HIS PEOPLE, YISRAEL, FOREVER, AMEN."
195. Come and behold: When the children of Yisrael bless and call the Tabernacle of Peace, the 'Holy Guest' - WHICH ONLY APPEARS ON SHABBAT AND IS AN INFREQUENT GUEST - they say, "He who spreads the Tabernacle of Peace." Then the supernal sanctity comes down, spreads its wings over Yisrael, and covers them as a mother covers her children. And all evil leaves the world, and Yisrael remain under the holiness of their Master. Consequently, this Tabernacle of Peace gives new souls to its children. HE ASKS: What is the reason IT GIVES NEW SOULS TO YISRAEL? AND HE ANSWERS, Souls dwell in and issue from it, BECAUSE IT IS BINAH. And because THIS TABERNACLE OF PEACE dwells upon and spreads its wings over its children, it sheds new souls upon each and every one of them.
196. Rabbi Shimon says further that this is the reason why we have learned that Shabbat is similar to the World to Come, and this is true. Just as the Sabbatical Year and Jubilee are equal to one another, so are Shabbat and the World to Come. LIKE THE SABBATICAL YEAR, SHABBAT IS MALCHUT; LIKE JUBILEE, THE WORLD TO COME IS BINAH. AND SINCE WE LEARNED THAT SHABBAT AND THE WORLD TO COME ARE EQUAL TO EACH OTHER, THEN THE SABBATICAL YEAR AND JUBILEE ARE EQUAL TO ONE ANOTHER. The extra soul THAT THE TABERNACLE OF PEACE BESTOWS UPON ITS CHILDREN comes from the secret of "remember'" ZEIR ANPIN, to the Tabernacle of Peace that extends from the World to Come. THE TABERNACLE OF PEACE RECEIVES the additional SOULS FROM ZEIR ANPIN and gives them to the Holy Nation. The people are elated with the addition, and all worldly matters, sorrows, and evil are forgotten. Thus, it is written: "On the day that Hashem shall give you rest from sorrow and from your troubles" (Yeshayah 14:3) INDICATING THE TIME WHEN THE ADDITIONAL SOULS ARE RECEIVED FROM THE TABERNACLE OF PEACE.
197. On the evening of Shabbat, one should taste of all THE FOOD HE HAS, to show that this Tabernacle of Peace embraces all THREE COLUMNS OF BINAH. This is as long as nothing is lacking from the Shabbat day meal, BECAUSE THE HONOR OF THE DAY IS GREATER THAN THAT OF THE NIGHT. Others say further that ONE SHOULD BEWARE THAT NOTHING IS LACKING from the two meals of the day, and it is well TO BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT. And it is needless to say that if one has more than two MEALS on SHABBAT day, he can still taste of all the foods ON THE EVE OF SHABBAT, as long as two dishes remain for the day of Shabbat. This was fully expounded upon.
198. The Shabbat candles were given to the wives of the holy people to light, and the friends have given a reason for that. They explained that when Eve extinguished the candle of the world BY CAUSING ADAM TO EAT OF THE FRUIT OF THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE, she brought DEATH AND darkness to the world. THUS, BY LIGHTING THE SHABBAT CANDLES, WOMEN SET TO RIGHT THAT WHICH EVE, THE FIRST WOMAN, DID, and this is good. Nevertheless, a deeper interpretation is that the Tabernacle of Peace THAT SHINES ON SHABBAT is the Mother of the world, and the souls, which are supernal candles, reside within her. Thus, a mother, OR A WOMAN, should light the candles. By doing so, she stands in the stead OF THE SUPERNAL MOTHER OF CHILDREN, THE TABERNACLE OF PEACE. BECAUSE she does so, THE UPPER MOTHER OF CHILDREN BESTOWS HOLY SOULS UPON HER CHILDREN, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE SUPERNAL SPIRITUAL CANDLES.
199. FOR THIS REASON, a woman should light the candles of Shabbat with a joyful heart and great concentration, because the supernal glory is hers. It is a great merit to herself to beget, IN LIGHTING THE CANDLES, holy sons who are the shining candles of Torah and piety, and who will bring peace to the world. By lighting the candles, she also gives her husband long life. Hence, she should be very careful with THE LIGHTING OF THE CANDLES, AND SHOULD DO SO WITH GREAT CONCENTRATION.
200. Come and behold: The evening and day of Shabbat combine "Remember" and "Keep." IN THE FIRST TABLETS, it was written, "Remember the Shabbat" (Shemot 20:8) and IN THE SECOND TABLETS, it was written, "Keep the Shabbat" (Devarim 5:12). BECAUSE "Remember" is the male PRESENCE OF ZEIR ANPIN and "Keep" is the female PRESENCE, OR THE NUKVA, OF ZEIR ANPIN, when "Remember" joins "Keep," all is one. Joyful are the people of Yisrael, who are the lot of the Holy One, blessed be He, His destiny and His inheritance. Of them, it is written: "Happy is the people that this is its lot. Happy is the people, whose Elohim is Hashem" (Tehilim 144:15).