136. Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) is the left arm, which is Isaac, where criminal laws are SENTENCED, JUDGING WHO SHALL LIVE AND WHO SHALL DIE. The sacrifice of Isaac was there, whom Abraham bound. The knot of the hand Tefilin resembles the binding of Isaac. BOTH RELATE TO THE BINDING OF GVUROT WITH CHASSADIM. Blessed is the son who is bound to his father, connected to him to do as he does with the Torah and the precepts, and blessed is the servant bound under his master to do his bidding, who is in the place of a king's son.
137. Metatron, blessed are you and blessed are your children, NAMELY, THOSE DERIVED FROM METATRON, WHO HAVE NOT YET MERITED TO BE CHILDREN TO MALE AND FEMALE OF ATZILUT, who are bound and tied by the Tefilin under your Master's authority. For that reason, though you are a servant to your Master, you are a king over all the ministers of the other peoples, king over all the angels, a king of whom all demons and their legions are afraid. Who brought that about? Your being a stool for your Master's feet. You serve your Master as Shadai of the Mezuzah from outside, guarding the entrance. Yud Hei Vav Hei, who is your Master, is inside, AND SHADAI, WHO IS THE ASPECT OF METATRON, IS OUTSIDE.
138. It is so THAT METATRON IS SHADAI when the Holy One, blessed be He, descends TO BRIYAH to rule over the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, good being Metatron and evil Samael, who is a devil, the king of demons. Metatron is an angel, the king of angels, but from the aspect of the Tree of Life the name Shadai is Yesod OF ATZILUT. This is why below IN BRIYAH THERE ARE two, a servant and his Master. THE SERVANT IS SHADAI OUTSIDE AND HIS MASTER IS YUD HEI VAV HEI INSIDE, and they are not unified into one. And above IN ATZILUT Tiferet and Yesod are one, since we consider the body and the member of the covenant as one, the Central Column and the Righteous, NAMELY TIFERET AND YESOD.
139. Just like the head Tefilin are MOCHIN OF Binah above Tiferet that is the Tree of Life in Atzilut, and Malchut is the hand Tefilin, so it is below in the Tree of Life in Briyah. From the aspect of the supernal throne, BINAH OF BRIYAH, there is the head Tefilin of Metatron, and his hand Tefilin are the lower throne, NAMELY MALCHUT OF BRIYAH. Of this the prophet says, "A glorious throne exalted from the beginning" (Yirmeyah 17:12).
140. But from the aspect of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, the Evil Inclination is bound under the Good Inclination by the knot of Tefilin like a servant under his master by the sound of Torah, the sound of prayer and the sound of the Shofar, since a sound UTTERED FOR PERFORMING A PRECEPT is like a spear in relation to it, STABBING AND KILLING THE EVIL INCLINATION. Such is the sound of the Shofar, which is the sound of the Central Pillar, NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN, which includes fire, water and air, which are the three patriarchs GVURAH, CHESED AND TIFERET that have Hei Yud Vav in them, Hei in Abraham and Yud in Isaac. NAMELY, HEI IN THE NAME ABRAHAM ALLUDES TO JUDGMENT AND YUD IN THE NAME ISAAC ALLUDES TO CHESED IN JUDGMENT. Wherever Hei rules over Yud, NAMELY WRITTEN BEFORE YUD, it is Judgment. This is Hei Yud of Elohim, NAMELY THE MOCHIN OF THE NAME ELOHIM. THESE HEI YUD ARE THE SECRET OF THE FIRE AND WATER IN THE SHOFAR, and this is why, "Elohim is gone up with a shout" (Tehilim 47:6). Vav of, 'and (Heb. Vav) the Elohim of Jacob' is the wind of the Shofar, NAMELY TIFERET. The Shechinah is the vessel THAT RECEIVES all three, FIRE, WATER AND AIR OF THE SHOFAR, and is the Hei of the word HaShofar.