1. "And Hashem spoke to Moses, saying, 'Take also the sum of the sons of Gershon'" (Bemidbar 4:21-22). Rabbi Aba opened the discussion saying, "Blessed is the man to whom Hashem imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile" (Tehilim 32:2). The beginning and the end of this verse do not agree, BECAUSE THE BEGINNING SAYS, "IMPUTES NO INIQUITY," SEEMINGLY THAT HE HAS SIN BUT IT IS NOT ASCRIBED TO HIM. BUT AT THE END IT SAYS, "AND IN WHOSE SPIRIT THERE IS NO GUILE." We should look into it, and it has already been established.
2. Come and see, Minchah (the afternoon prayers), Judgment dwells in the world and Isaac, WHO IS SUPERNAL GVURAH AND THE LEFT COLUMN OF ZEIR ANPIN, instituted Minchah. FOR THEN THE UNION WAS COMPLETED IN THE SECRET OF: "HIS LEFT HAND IS UNDER MY HEAD" (SHIR HASHIRIM 2:6). THEREFORE, supernal Gvurah rules the world until the onset of night, because Gvurah receives the night, MEANING THAT NIGHT IS MALCHUT DRAWN FROM GVURAH, WHICH IS MINCHAH. When the time of Minchah begins, the left separates to receive MALCHUT and the night is aroused, WHICH IS MALCHUT.
4. It has been said that at exactly midnight, the left is aroused as before, AS DURING MINCHAH. The holy lily, WHICH IS MALCHUT, exudes fragrances, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH OF THE LEFT, and raises a voice in praise. Then her head rises and dwells above in the left, IN THE SECRET OF: "HIS LEFT HAND IS UNDER MY HEAD," and the left receives her.
5. This is then proclaimed in the world: The time has come to rise from sleep and praise the King. Praises then awaken and everything is fragrant. Praised is the lot of the one who awakens to effect this bond. When morning approaches and the right, WHICH IS CHESED, awakens and hugs her, there is universal union BETWEEN CHOCHMAH AND CHASSADIM. THIS IS NOT THE CASE AT NIGHT WHEN THERE ARE NO CHASSADIM.
6. Come and see, During the time when people sleep and taste of death, the soul rises up and gets to stand in a certain place, where it is examined about its daily activities which are recorded in the book. What is the reason for this? Because the soul rises up and testifies about all the person's activities and every single word that came out from his lips.
7. When that word that exits from the mouth of a person is worthy, a holy word of Torah study and prayer, that word then rises and cleaves the firmaments. It stands there until nightfall, when the soul rises and grasps that word and brings it before the King.
8. When the word is improper, one of evil words or of evil speech, that word rises wherever it rises to be recorded as a sin of that person. This is the meaning of: "Keep the doors of your mouth from her that lies in your bosom" (Michah 7:5), MEANING FROM THE SOUL THAT GIVES TESTIMONY ABOUT HIS DEEDS. Therefore, IT IS WRITTEN: "Blessed is the man to whom Hashem imputes no iniquity;" NAMELY, WHEN THE SOUL DOES NOT BEAR TESTIMONY AGAINST HIM, SO THAT A CERTAIN SIN WILL BE RECORDED. When is that? When "in whose spirit there is no guile" - THAT IS, WHEN HE DOES NOT SIN.
9. Ra'aya Meheimna (the Faithful Shepherd). "From thirty years old and upward to fifty years old, everyone that came to do the service of the ministry, and the service of carrying in the Tent of Meeting" (Bemidbar 4:47). This commandment IS THAT the Levites should sing in the Temple. Although this was already explained before, we need to add something new, for it is the priest who sacrifices the offering and he is THE ANGEL Michael, WHO IS CHESED, CHESED BEING THE PRIEST. The Levite is Gabriel, WHO IS GVURAH, AND GVURAH IS CALLED LEVITE. And he should play music.
10. The secret of: "Yet Hashem will command His steadfast love (Heb. Chesed) in the daytime" (Tehilim 42:9). That is Chesed OF ZEIR ANPIN, which is the High Priest, because Michael is a common priest in relation to his Master, CHESED OF ZEIR ANPIN. Nevertheless, EVEN THOUGH he is a common priest in relation to his Master, he is a king over the holy living creatures THAT ARE IN YETZIRAH, AND IT WAS SAID OF HIM: Let not the blessing of a common priest be light in your eyes. That is what is meant by: "Yet Hashem will command his Chesed in the daytime."