17. "And Jacob went out" of the closed labyrinth; and from the closed mystery emerges the splendor of the shining mirror, which is composed of two colors joined together. Because they are included within one another, all the colors are visible in it. All the appearing lights are included in the color purple. THAT IS, AS THE COLOR PURPLE INCLUDES ALL THE COLORS, SO THE SPLENDOR OF THE SHINING MIRROR COMPRISES ALL THE LIGHTS. These lights run and return, FOR THEY RUN FROM THE ILLUMINATION OF THE RIGHT TO THE ILLUMINATION OF THE LEFT TO BE INCLUDED IN IT. BUT THEN THEY IMMEDIATELY RETURN TO THEIR PLACE IN THE ILLUMINATION OF THE RIGHT. And they do not stop to see - THAT IS, TO DRAW OUT CHOCHMAH - BUT IMMEDIATELY RETURN TO THEIR PLACE. THE ILLUMINATIONS OF THE RIGHT AND LEFT are joined within that splendor, BRINGING BOTH TO THE RIGHT IN THE ILLUMINATION OF CHASSADIM. AND THE ILLUMINATION OF THE LEFT IS NOT SEEN AT ALL, BUT IS NEGATED AND INCLUDED WITHIN THE RIGHT.
18. In that splendor dwells whoever dwells, YUD HEI VAV HEI, WHICH IS THE FIRST THREE SFIROT. This is a name that describes something closed and utterly unknown. THAT IS, THE NAME DWELLS ON THE ILLUMINATION OF THE RIGHT, WHOSE LABYRINTH IS NOT YET OPENED OR KNOWN. IT DOES NOT DWELL ON THE LEFT, WHOSE LABYRINTH WAS OPENED AND ITS EXISTENCE BECAME KNOWN. THIS SPLENDOR is called the 'voice of Jacob,' NOT 'A GREAT VOICE.' In this SPLENDOR, THE LIGHT OF THE FIRST THREE SFIROT OF BINAH, CALLED 'the Whole Faith,' is seen. THESE CHASSADIM ARE ALSO CONSIDERED PART OF THE FIRST THREE SFIROT, AS THE CHASSADIM OF THE FIRST THREE OF BINAH. And within this closed LABYRINTH OF THE ILLUMINATION OF THE RIGHT, which is utterly unknown, the Name of Yud Hei Vav Hei dwells. It is whole on all sides, for the upper and the lower, BINAH AND THE NUKVA, are here INCLUDED WITHIN THIS SPLENDOR. Therefore, Jacob was selected to be the chosen among the Fathers, for he is included in all sides. This splendor OF JACOB'S GRADE, AS A RESULT OF THE purification of his name, WHICH REACHED MALCHUT, IS CALLED 'THE CHOSEN AMONG THE FATHERS,' as it is written, "Jacob whom I have chosen" (Yeshayah 41:8). He is called by two names, Jacob and Yisrael. First, HE WAS CALLED 'Jacob.' AT THAT TIME, HE LET THE RIGHT RULE. After HE ESTABLISHED THE ILLUMINATION OF BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT, FOR CHOCHMAH SHINES ONLY AFTER IT IS INCLUDED WITHIN CHASSADIM, HE WAS CALLED 'Yisrael.'
19. This is a great mystery, for the beginning, BEFORE HE WENT TO CHARAN, he was at the end of this thought, which is the explanation of the Written Torah, called the 'Oral Torah,' WHICH IS THE NUKVA. THOUGHT MEANS BINAH; THE END OF THOUGHT IS THE NUKVA WHEN SWEETENED BY BINAH. It is therefore called a 'well' (Heb. beer), as it is written, "Moses began to declare (Heb. beer) this Torah" (Devarim 1:5). For it is a well, which is an explanation (heb. be'ur) of that which is referred to as seven (Heb. sheva), BINAH, WHICH EXPLAINS AND REVEALS THE CHOCHMAH IN IT, as it is written, "So was he seven years in building it" (I Melachim 6:38). AND THE FIRST TEMPLE IS THE SECRET OF BINAH, which is a great voice. AND WHEN THE NUKVA RECEIVES CHOCHMAH FROM BINAH, IT IS CONSIDERED TO HAVE A GREAT VOICE, NOT JACOB'S VOICE, SINCE IT IS CHASSADIM.
20. The end of this thought occurs in Beer-Sheva where Jacob attained the top of his faith, THAT IS, HE ATTAINED THE FIRST THREE SFIROT FROM THE ASPECT OF CHASSADIM WHICH ARE CALLED 'THE TOP OF FAITH.' Because JACOB cleaved to this faith, THE FIRST THREE SFIROT OF CHASSADIM, he has to be tried in the same place his fathers were tried, the place where they came and whence they left in peace.
21. Adam was tried first: HE WAS TEMPTED BY THE SERPENT. Because he was not careful, he was seduced, and he sinned with "a wife of harlotry" (Hoshea 1:2), the primordial serpent. Noah was tried, but did not take heed. He was seduced BY A WIFE OF HARLOTRY and sinned, as it was written, "and he drank of the wine, and was drunk; and he was uncovered within his tent" (Beresheet 9:21). Abraham went in and departed, as it is written, "And Abram went down to Egypt" (Beresheet 12:10), and, "And Abram went up out of Egypt" (Beresheet 13:1). Isaac went in and departed, as it is written, "And Isaac went to Abimelech, king of the Philistines" (Beresheet 26:1), and, "And he went up from there to Beer-Sheva" (Ibid. 23).
22. After Jacob entered the grade of faith, WHICH WAS THE DOMINION OF THE ILLUMINATION OF THE RIGHT - he had to bring a gift to that side - THAT IS, TO THE RULER OF THE ILLUMINATION OF THE LEFT, BY SURVIVING A TRIAL. For whoever survives THE TRIAL is beloved of and chosen by the Holy One, blessed be He. It is written, "And Jacob went out from Beer-Sheva," from the side of faith, FROM THE RIGHT SIDE, "and went toward Charan," which is the LEFT side, where a wife of harlotry TAKES HOLD, a fornicating wife. AND ALTHOUGH THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENCES AMONG THESE FIVE TRIALS - THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL, THE HEADY WINE, EGYPT, THE PHILISTINES, AND CHARAN, WHICH WERE THE TRIALS OF ADAM, NOAH, ABRAHAM, ISAAC, AND JACOB - NEVERTHELESS, THEY HAVE THE SAME ROOT, NAMELY, THE DRAWING OF CHOCHMAH ONLY FROM DOWN UPWARDS, WHICH IS CALLED A 'WIFE OF HARLOTRY.'