53. "Then the Tent of Meeting shall set forward with the camp of the Levites..." (Bemidbar 2:17). After this, it is written, "On the west side shall be the standard of the camp of Ephraim by their hosts" (Ibid. 18). That refers to the Shechinah that rests on the west, as it was explained THAT EPHRAIM TRAVELED ON THE WEST, THE SECRET OF MALCHUT, AND THEREFORE HE TRAVELED AFTER THE STANDARD OF REUBEN, WHO IS ON THE SOUTH, WHICH IS CHESED, AND SO ON. It is written: "And he blessed them that day, saying, 'By you shall Yisrael bless, saying...' and he set Ephraim..." (Beresheet 48:20). HE ASKS: "By you shall Yisrael bless," referring to Yisrael-Saba. HE QUESTIONS: What does this teach us?
54. AND HE REPLIES: 'By you shall Yisrael be blessed,' is not what is actually written, nor is, 'By you will Yisrael be blessed.' What then is the meaning of, "By you shall Yisrael bless," WHICH REFERS TO OTHERS GETTING BLESSED? THE EXPLANATION is that holy Yisrael, MEANING ZEIR ANPIN, will not bless the world, except through you, EPHRAIM, who resides in the west, MEANING THE SHECHINAH. And it is written, "I am El Shadai: be fruitful and multiply" (Beresheet 35:11). WE THEREFORE SEE THAT THE BLESSING RESTS WITH THE SHECHINAH THAT IS CALLED 'EL SHADAI.' We learn that he saw the Shechinah with him, and then he declared, "By you shall Yisrael bless, saying," MEANING by THE SHECHINAH shall he bless the world.
55. HE QUESTIONS, How could he see THE SHECHINAH, since it is also written: "Now the eyes of Israel were dim from old age..." (Beresheet 48:10), WHICH ALSO ALLUDES TO THE SPIRITUAL EYES. AND HE REPLIES: However, it is written, "changing his hands" (Ibid. 14). Why the crossing? AND HE ANSWERS: The right hand was raised CORRESPONDING TO EPHRAIM, and the Shechinah turned in the direction of Ephraim, and ISRAEL had smelled the fragrance of the Shechinah over his head. He then said, "By you shall Yisrael bless," and saw Her in the west - MEANING THAT HE DID NOT SEE WITH HIS EYES, BUT PERCEIVED IT BY THE SENSE OF SMELL, WHICH MEANS FROM BELOW UPWARD.
56. Certainly, the Shechinah is in the west, and we explained that this is in order that she should be between the north and south, BECAUSE THE WEST IS SITUATED BETWEEN NORTH AND SOUTH. And so She will unite with the body, THE SECRET OF ZEIR ANPIN, CALLED 'BODY' - WHICH MEANS THE SEVEN LOWER SFIROT - and be WITH IT in one union. And the north, WHICH IS THE LEFT COLUMN OF ZEIR ANPIN, receives Her under its head, and the south, WHICH IS THE RIGHT OF ZEIR ANPIN, embraces Her. That is what is written, "His left hand is under my head" (Shir Hashirim 2:6), SINCE FROM THE LEFT, THE SECRET OF THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH, SHE RECEIVES THE FIRST THREE SFIROT, ALSO CALLED 'HEAD.' "...And His right hand embraces me..." (Ibid.) AND FROM THE RIGHT, THE SECRET OF CHASSADIM, SHE RECEIVES THE ILLUMINATION OF THE SEVEN LOWER SFIROT, THAT ARE REFERRED TO AS 'BODY.' And we explained, certainly Solomon's bed, WHICH IS THE MYSTICAL REFERENCE TO MALCHUT, CALLED 'BED,' is situated between north and south, THAT ARE CHESED AND GVURAH, in order that it should adhere to the body THAT IS TIFERET. Then they are one wholeness by which the universe is blessed. We learned that whoever recites "A praise of David" (Tehilim 145) three times daily is assured to be worthy of the World to Come. And we concluded THAT ITS MEANING IS that he unites this praise, WHICH REFERS TO MALCHUT, to be WITH ZEIR ANPIN, every day between the north and south.
57. A person comes in the morning and accepts upon himself the yoke of the heavenly kingdom with these praises that he recites, referring to, "A praise of David," and the rest of the Haleluyah's which are the order of the ten praises of the ten holy Sfirot of the Holy Name. Therefore, there are ten Haleluyah's, concluding with ten praises, that are, "Haleluyah, Praise El in His Sanctuary: praise Him..." (Tehilim 150:1). HE QUERIES: Where do we find ten Haleluyah's? There are only five, SINCE THERE ARE ONLY FIVE PSALMS THAT BEGIN WITH HALELUYAH. AND HE RESPONDS: It is because each psalm begins with Haleluyah and concludes with Haleluyah, FOR A TOTAL OF TEN.
58. Afterwards he established the sequence of praise of the Song of the Sea (Shemot 15) that includes everything. And with this he accepts upon himself the yoke of the holy Kingdom. He then causes Chesed to rest it in the conclusion of the prayers, which makes it hallowed, SINCE THE MORNING PRAYER CORRESPONDS TO ABRAHAM, WHO IS CHESED AND THE RIGHT COLUMN. Afterwards, in the afternoon prayer, Gvurah is impending and Judgment is prevalent, WHICH CORRESPONDS TO ISAAC, WHO IS GVURAH AND THE LEFT COLUMN. We find that this bed, WHICH REFERS TO MALCHUT, is placed daily between north and south, BETWEEN THE MORNING PRAYER, THE SECRET OF THE SOUTH, AND THE AFTERNOON PRAYER, THE SECRET OF THE NORTH, so that it will properly join in unity with the body, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, THE CENTRAL COLUMN. And whoever daily arranges and joins MALCHUT in this manner is most assuredly worthy of the World to Come. THIS MEANS THAT ABOUT THIS IT WAS SAID THAT WHOEVER DAILY RECITES, "A PRAISE OF DAVID," is assured to be of the World to Come.
59. Consequently, the standard of Ephraim is to the west, which is between north and south. South is Reuben. He is from one side, as it is written: "On the south side shall be the standard of the camp of Reuben" (Bemidbar 2:10). Dan was from the opposite side to the north, as it is written: "The standard of the camp of Dan shall be on the north side" (Ibid. 25). Ephraim was situated between this one and that one, SINCE REUBEN, WHO IS SOUTH, IS BEFORE DAN, WHO IS NORTH, BEHIND HIM. Therefore, the west, which is Ephraim, is situated between north and south, all reflecting MALCHUT above.
60. This secret is of our brothers, the southern inhabitants. And so our brothers' message was to us, those who put the lights in order, in the mystical connections, MEANING THE UNIFICATIONS. You who wish to create a unification in the sequence of the supreme connection. Firstly, undertake upon yourselves daily the yoke of the holy Kingdom, and by doing so, you will elevate yourselves WITH HER through the hallowed connection of the south, MEANING CHESED. And encircle the FOUR directions of the world, CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET AND MALCHUT, until you join them together into one knot. And in the south you should arrange a place and dwell there, SIMILAR TO THE ENCIRCLING OF THE ALTAR, AS EXPLAINED BEFORE.