247. When they rose to leave, Rabbi Shimon said: We have something with us, MEANING THAT HE HAD ONE MORE THING TO TELL THEM. Rabbi Shimon then said: Two passages are written. One says, "Because Hashem your Elohim is a consuming fire" (Devarim 4:24), SIGNIFYING THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEAVE TO HIM, AS IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEAVE TO FIRE. The other says, "But you that did cleave of Hashem your Elohim are all alive every one of you this day" (Devarim 4:4), SIGNIFYING THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO CLEAVE TO HIM. These SEEMINGLY CONFLICTING passages have been explained repeatedly by the friends who have tackled them. But come and behold the verse, "Because Hashem your Elohim is a consuming fire." The friends have discussed that there is a fire that consumes and destroys even fire. Thus, there is a fire that is stronger than NORMAL fire, and that has been explained.
248. But come and behold: one who wants to learn the wisdom of holy unification must examine the flames arising from a glowing ember or lit candle, because the flames only rise if coming from a coarse object.
249. Come and see: In the rising flame there are two lights. One is a white and luminous light; the other is a blue or black light to which the white light is linked. The white shining light is higher and direct. Underneath it is the blue or black light, which serves as a pedestal for the white.
250. This shining white light spreads over THE BLUE, and the two lights unite to become one. And this black light, or the blue tint underneath it, serves as a Throne of Glory for the white light. Hence, its appearance is the secret of blue. IT IS THE ASPECT OF THE THRONE OF GLORY, WHICH RESEMBLES BLUE, AS IS GENERALLY KNOWN.
253. This BLUE LIGHT links in two directions. It connects to the white light above it and to the COARSE object underneath it, NAMELY THE WICK. The wick is designated as the place to which the light may connect and from which it radiates. THE WICK SERVES AS THE POINT AT WHICH THE BLUE LIGHT CONNECTS WITH THE SHINING WHITE LIGHT.
254. The BLUE LIGHT OF THE CANDLE always consumes and destroys the COARSE object prepared for it, NAMELY THE WICK, because the blue light consumes and burns all that it comes into contact with underneath it. And because its nature is to consume and scorch, it is the source of the destruction and death of all. THE BLUE LIGHT IS THE SECRET OF THE NUKVA, OR THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE, FROM WHICH DEATH AND DESTRUCTION ORIGINATE. It therefore consumes whatever it links to below.
255. The white light that prevails on THE BLUE LIGHT never consumes or destroys, and it never changes color. IT IS THE LIGHT OF CHASSADIM, WHICH NEVER CHANGES OR BECOMES COARSE AND WHICH IS FREE FROM JUDGMENT. THEREFORE, IT DOES NOT DESTROY OR CHANGE. That is why Moses said, "For Hashem your Elohim is a consuming fire." It is because fire consumes and destroys all that is underneath it that MOSES said, "your Elohim" and not "our Elohim." Moses was A CHARIOT FOR the supernal white light that neither burns nor destroys, AND WHICH CANNOT BE TOUCHED BY JUDGMENTS.
257. Come and behold: Although it is the nature of this blue C black light to destroy all that contacts it from beneath, Yisrael still cleave to it from beneath and survive. This is written: "But you that did cleave of Hashem your Elohim are all alive every one of you this day." It is written: "of Hashem your Elohim," WHICH IS THE NUKVA, and not, "our Elohim," WHICH WOULD ALLUDE TO ZEIR ANPIN, FOR WHOM MOSES WAS A CHARIOT. HE SAID TO THEM, YOU CLEAVE to the blue and black light that burns and destroys all, but nevertheless you survive, as it is written: "You are all alive every one of you this day," BECAUSE THIS BLUE LIGHT DID NOT BURN YOU.
258. A concealed light envelops this white light. It is a supernal secret THAT THIS LIGHT REFERS TO THE SUPERNAL LIGHT THAT CLOTHES ZEIR ANPIN, WHICH IS THE WHITE LIGHT. THIS LIGHT CANNOT BE CONCEIVED OR UNDERSTOOD. Everything, INCLUDING THE BLUE, WHITE, AND CONCEALED, SURROUNDING LIGHT, can be found in the rising flame of a candle. And all great wisdoms are insinuated therein. Rabbi Pinchas approached and kissed him saying: Blessed be the Merciful One, who led me to meet you here. They accompanied Rabbi Pinchas for three miles.
259. When Rabbi Shimon and the friends returned, AFTER ESCORTING RABBI PINCHAS, Rabbi Shimon said: What we said is the secret of wisdom of sacred unification. Consequently, the last Hei of the Holy Name, THE NUKVA, is the blue and black light that links to THE LETTERS Yud-Hei-Vav, NAMELY ZEIR ANPIN, the bright white light.
260. Come and behold: sometimes the blue light is the letter Dalet and sometimes Hei. When Yisrael does not connect to it from below, so as to kindle it and connect it to the white light, it is Dalet. And when Yisrael awakens her, BY ELEVATING THE MAYIN NUKVIN (FEMALE WATERS), to connect her with the white light, then it is called Hei.
261. Whence do we know this? From the words, "If a girl (na'ara) is a virgin" (Devarim 22:23), "na'ara" is spelled without a letter Hei. What is the reason for this? It is because she has not been linked to a male. And wherever male and female are separate, the letter Hei cannot be found. NA'ARA IS THEREFORE SPELLED WITHOUT THE HEI, and THE HEI ascends, while THE NUKVA stays AS THE LETTER Dalet, WHICH ALLUDES TO POVERTY.
262. Because whenever the blue and black light connects to this bright white light, it is called Hei, indicating unity. THE NUKVA cleaves to the white light, and Yisrael cling to her and stand underneath her to kindle her. THROUGH THE FEMALE WATER (MAYIN NUKVIN), THEY RISE TO HER, and unity is found. YISRAEL, BY BRINGING UP THE FEMALE WATER TO HER, KINDLE THE NUKVA AND CAUSES HER TO CLEAVE TO AND JOIN ZEIR ANPIN. WERE IT NOT FOR THE FEMALE WATER, THE NUKVA WOULD NOT HAVE JOINED ZEIR ANPIN. THUS, THEY TOO ARE ATTACHED TO ZEIR ANPIN. THIS IS BECAUSE WHATEVER ONE EFFECTS IN THE UPPER REALMS, HE ALSO MERITS BELOW. HENCE, THE HOLY ONE, THE SHECHINAH, AND YISRAEL BECOME ONE.
263. This is the inner purpose of the sacrifice. The smoke rises and kindles the blue light. When it is lit, it links to the white light and then to the candle, MEANING THAT THE SHECHINAH alights in unity. AND WHEN SHE CLEAVES TO THE WHITE LIGHT AND THE SMOKE, THE THREE BECOME ONE.
264. The nature of the blue light is to burn and consume all that it contacts from below. When THE SACRIFICE is pleasing and the candle burns in unity, it is written "the fire of Hashem fell, and consumed the burnt offering" (I Melachim 18:38). WHEN ALL HAS BEEN BURNED COMPLETELY, it is known that the candle, WHICH IS THE SHECHINAH, is burning in complete unity, and the blue light, WHICH IS THE NUKVA, has united with the white light, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, and THE TWO have become one. FURTHERMORE, THE BLUE LIGHT BURNS AND consumes the fats and burnt offerings, meaning that it does not burn and consume from beneath, except when it is elevating FOR THE WHITE LIGHT. THIS INDICATES THAT all, INCLUDING THE SMOKE AND THE BLUE LIGHT, link to the white light. Hence, peace is made in all the worlds and all is embraced in unity.
265. And when this blue light is through burning and consuming all that is underneath, all the priests and Levites and Yisrael come and cleave onto it. THE LEVITES cleave with the joy of singing; THE PRIESTS with the meditation of their hearts; and YISRAEL with prayer. And the candle, NAMELY THE SHECHINAH, burns and shines upon them. All the lights unify, the worlds glow, and all above and below are blessed.
266. Hence the words, "But you that did cleave of Hashem your Elohim are all alive every one of you this day" (Devarim 4:4), APPLY TO YISRAEL. HE ASKS, THE PASSAGE SAYS, "But (Heb. ve, Vav) you--" should it not be just "you?" HE ANSWERS, Vav shows Yisrael's virtue to that of the offerings and fat, because when the offerings and fat connect to THE BLUE LIGHT, they are consumed and burned. But you cleave to this blue t black light that burns and consumes, yet are alive. THIS VIRTUE IS ALLUDED TO BY THE VAV IN "But you...are all alive every one of you this day."
267. In a dream, all colors, except for blue, are a good sign. Blue always destroys and consumes. It is the tree where death is found. IT IS THE NUKVA, WHICH IS CALLED THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE. It reigns over the lower world (THIS WORLD) and it consumes and destroys everything that exists underneath it.
268. THE NUKVA OF ZEIR ANPIN is found in the upper heavens, NAMELY THE WORLD OF ATZILUT, and there are many upper hosts IN THE WORLDS OF BRIYAH, YETZIRAH, AND ASIYAH. Yet they live and subsist. SO WHY, ONE MIGHT ASK, DO YOU SAY THAT THE BLUE LIGHT, WHICH IS THE NUKVA OF ZEIR ANPIN, CONSUMES ALL THAT IS UNDERNEATH? Come and behold: all the upper HOSTS IN THE WORLDS OF BRIYAH, YETZIRAH AND ASIYAH, WHICH ARE HIGHER WORLDS THAN THIS, are included in the blue light itself - NOT UNDERNEATH IT. Yet the lower beings OF THIS WORLD are not INCLUDED IN THE BLUE LIGHT ITSELF, because they are the coarse objects by which the world is supported. THE WORLD LINKS TO THE LOWER BEINGS AND SUBSISTS ON THEM, JUST AS A FLAME FEEDS OFF THE WICK OF A CANDLE. WITHOUT IT, THE WORLD WOULD NOT EXIST. Hence, the blue light consumes and destroys them and there can be nothing down here in this world that is not destroyed, because the blue light destroys all that is underneath it.