123. Rise, Rabbi Chiya. Rabbi Chiya rose. He opened the discussion with the verse: "Then said I, 'Ah, Adonai Elohim! behold, I cannot speak, for I am a child'" (Yirmeyah 1:6). HE ASKS: Did Jeremiah not know how to speak, for many words came out of his mouth before he said this? So he said a falsehood, for it is written: "Behold, I cannot speak." HE REPLIES: Heaven forbid that he said something like that, but we have learned what the difference is between speaking and saying. Saying does not require a raising of the voice, but speaking calls for a raising of voice and a proclamation of words.
124. It is written: "And Elohim spoke all these words, saying" (Shemot 20:1). We have learned that the whole world heard that speech and everyone trembled. Therefore, it says, "spoke" and is not written: 'said.' Here too it says, "Behold, I cannot speak" to declare to the world and reprimand them with the Holy Spirit.
125. HE ASKS: If so, here it is written: "And Hashem spoke to Moses, saying" (Shemot 6:10). WHY DID JEREMIAH SAY, "BEHOLD, I CANNOT SPEAK?" HE RESPONDS: Is there anyone with such a high degree of prophecy as Moses, since no human deserved like him to hear a speech in a form of declaration? He was not fearful or trembling either, while other prophets were shaken even in the form of 'saying,' and were filled with fear.
126. (A) We have learned that the first Correction (formation) of the beard and the second CORRECTION (FORMATION) CAME to bring about the third CORRECTION (FORMATION), as it is written: "Lo, El does all these things twice or three times with a man" (Iyov 33:29).
(B) The third Correction (formation) is from the center under the nose. Below the two nostrils, a path emerges where the hairs do not grow on that path. What is the cause of the interruption? It is because this path was devised to carry through it THE SPIRIT OF CHOCHMAH OF THE NOSE. Therefore, this route is situated below the openings of the nose, and hairs do not grow there, since it is written: "And forgives (lit. 'passes') the transgression" (Michah 7:18) in order to give passage up to the holy mouth, so he should say, 'I have forgiven.' We have learned that numerous trial courts await that mouth, OF ARICH ANPIN, THAT HE SHOULD SAY, 'I HAVE FORGIVEN.' It does not reveal itself to any of them, because it is exalted and adorned, known yet unknown.
(C) We have learned in the hidden book the meaning of what is written as transgression. If they deserve so, the transgression is passed over, but if they don't merit it, it stays a transgression. That OCCURS ONLY in Zeir Anpin, BUT NOT IN ARICH ANPIN, WHO IS ENTIRELY COMPASSIONATE.
127. HE ASKS: What is the difference between the one and the other, BETWEEN ARICH ANPIN AND ZEIR ANPIN? HE REPLIES: In Zeir Anpin, when that path descends underneath the nostrils, it says, "And Hashem was wrathful over them and he went away" (Bemidbar 12:9). This means that a spirit of anger exudes from the nostrils, and whoever happens in the way is gone and disappears. This is what is written: "A spirit of Hashem blew and he is no longer here" (Yeshayah 40:7). BUT in Arich Anpin, it says, "And he passes over the transgression" (Michah 7:18) and also: "And a spirit passed and purified them" (Iyov 37:21). We have learned that about this path here that it is written: "Passes over the transgression" and there "and Hashem passed to strike Egypt" (Shemot 12:23).
128. Praised is the lot of the one who deserves TO RECEIVE FROM this CORRECTION (FORMATION). This is the third Correction (formation) of the most holy and glorious beard of the most ancient of the ancient. Rabbi Shimon said: Certainly, the Holy One, blessed be He, will continue to benefit you and will be happy to protect you.
129. We have learned that what is written: "I will greatly rejoice in Hashem" (Yeshayah 61:10) is said about Atik Yomin, since he is the joy of everything. We have learned that when this path of the beard of Atik Yomin is revealed, the prosecutors and all those who lament and wail are quieted and silenced. There exists no one to say anything bad, because this path is revealed so as to correct. Hence, whoever grasps SOMEONE and cautions him to silence, he impresses this path which is a sign of the holy Atik.