110. Rabbi Aba opened the discussion saying, "Of David, Bless Hashem, my soul: and all that is within me bless his Holy Name" (Tehilim 103:1). How much a person should observe and know how to serve his Master, since every single day the proclamation goes forth and says, "How long, you simple ones, will you love being simple?" (Mishlei 1:22). "Return, faithless children, and I will heal your relapses" (Yirmeyah 3:22), but none pays attention. The Torah proclaims before them, yet nobody is attentive.
111. Come and see, a person walks about in this world and thinks that it belongs to him forever, and he will remain here for generations to come. While he walks about, he is placed in binding chains, MEANING THAT HE GETS ILL AND IS TIED TO HIS BED. While he remains in this state, he is judged together with other litigants. If he gets a good advocate, he is saved from punishment, as it is written: "If there be an angel over him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to declare to man what is right: then he is gracious to him, and says..." (Iyov 33:23). Who is that good advocate? These are the good deeds that stand by for a man in time of need.
112. If there is no good advocate for him, he is found guilty in judgment and is required to pass away from this world. During that period while he lays bound in the chains of the King, in raising his eyes, he sees how two come to him. They write all that he did in this world and every word that emerged from his lips. He gives accounts about everything and it is recorded before him. This is what it says, "For, lo, he that forms the mountains, and creates the wind, and declares to man what is his thought..." (Amos 4:13). And he admits all these things.
113. What is the reason THAT HE ADMITS ALL HIS DEEDS? It is because the action he did ascends and stands by to give testimony. ALL DEEDS stand by UP ABOVE to give testimony about him. They all descend to be recorded before him and do not move away, until the time he is tried for them in that world. Come and see, all these things that were done by this man in this world, are all ready to testify about him, and they are not removed from him. When he is taken to his grave, they all gather and go in front of him. Three proclamations are proclaimed, one in front, one on his right and one on his left. They say that this is so-and-so who rebelled against his Master, rebelled above, rebelled below, rebelled against the Torah, revolted against the precepts. See his actions and watch his speeches! He would have been better off not to have been created.
114. Until they arrive at the cemetery, and all the dead rage in their places and say, Woe, woe that this one is buried among us. His actions and speech precede him into the grave and remain over that body. His spirit goes and wanders and mourns over the body. As soon as a person is covered in his grave, THE ANGEL Dumah hastens to come out with three courts under his jurisdiction appointed for the punishment in the grave. Three wands of fire are in their hands, and the spirit is on trial together with the body. Woe to that punishment and woe to his deeds.
115. During the time he is held in the chains of the King, MEANING WHILE HE IS SICK AND BOUND TO HIS BED, his trial takes place and was completed WITH A GUILTY VERDICT, because no good advocate is available for him. The King's minister, THE ANGEL OF DEATH, descends and stands at his feet, with a sharp sword in his hand.
116. The person lifts his eyes and sees FIRST the walls of the house radiant with fire. At the same time, he sees him, full with eyes, dressed in burning fire STANDING in front of the man. AND THOUGH OTHERS WHO STAND THERE DO NOT SEE HIS PRESENCE, it is certainly so. The proof is that some people see an angel in the marketplace and stand before him, but the rest do not perceive him.
117. If you ask: Doesn't it say, "Who makes the winds his messengers (angels)..." (Tehilim 104:4)? How is it possible to see them on earth? HE RESPONDS: We already explained this. When the angel descends to earth, he is dressed in a physical body and he is seen to whoever needs to perceive him in that garment he donned. If he didn't PUT ON THAT GARMENT, the people could not bear it that he should be visible. All the more so with this one, THE ANGEL OF DEATH, whom all people need.
118. There are three drops on his sword, as the friends have already explained. When he sees him, his entire body and spirit tremble and his heart does not rest, being the king of the entire body. Then his spirit travels throughout his organs and takes leave from them like a man who takes leave from his friend to go elsewhere. He then declares: Woe, what have I done, but it is of no use to him unless he preempts it with the healing powers of repentance before that moment arrives.
119. The person shudders with fear and wishes to hide but cannot. When he realizes that he is powerless, he opens his eyes and he has to look at him with his eyes open. He then gives his life and soul. That is the moment of the greatest judgment that a person is judged in this world. The spirit then passes through all the limbs of the body and takes leave of them. It then wanders through all the organs and shakes all over, and all the organs tremble.