858. And it should be known that THE ENDLESS LIGHT is called 'Wise One in all sorts of wisdom', and 'Understanding One in all sorts of understanding', and 'Pious One in all sorts of piety', and 'Mighty One in all sorts of might', and 'Counselor in all sorts of counsel', and 'Righteous in all sorts of righteousness', and 'King in all sorts of kingship', to infinity and immeasurably. And in all these grades, in one He is called 'Merciful One' and in another He is called 'Judge', and so on in a number of grades until infinity. HE ASKS, if so, it implies that there is a difference between Merciful One and Judge. AND HE ANSWERS, yet before He created the world, He was called by all these grades after the names of the creatures of the world, that were destined to be created. And if not AFTER the creatures of the world, why should He have been called 'Merciful One', 'Judge', FOR THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NONE FOR HIM TO SHOW MERCY TO. Thus HE WAS INDEED SO CALLED only after the creatures that were in the future to be created, BUT THERE IS NOT, HEAVEN FORBID, ANY CHANGE IN HIM HIMSELF.
859. And for this reason, all the Names are appellatives of Him, after His deeds. In such a way He created the soul in His likeness, which is so named following its actions in each of the parts of the body, which is itself called 'a small world'. Just as the Master of the Universe behaves with each creature in each generation according to its deeds, so also is the soul according to the deeds of each part. That same part of the body with which he observes a precept is called 'soul' because of compassion, loving-kindness, grace and mercy THAT ARE ACTIVATED IN HIS BODY. And that part of his body with which he commits a transgression is called 'soul' for judgment and wrath and anger THAT ARE ACTIVE IN HIS BODY. But outside the body, for whom can there be compassion or cruelty BECAUSE OF THE DEEDS OF THE BODY?
860. So, too, for whom could the Master of the Universe have been called 'Merciful One', 'Gracious One' or 'Judge' prior to His creating the world and His creating His creatures? Thus all His names are but appellations, and He is so called only after the creatures of the world. Thus, when the members of the generation are good, namely, He is for them called Yud Hei Vav Hei in the attribute of Mercy. But when the members of the generation are wicked, He is for them called 'Adonai' in the attribute of Judgment. For He is CALLED after the quality of each generation and of each person, but He Himself has no SPECIFIC quality and no specific name.
861. Consider the Sfirot, where each Sfirah has a specific name, quality, border, and field. The Master of the Universe spreads throughout these names and rules by them and is called after them and is clothed in them and lives amongst them as a soul within the parts of the body. And just as the Master of the Worlds has no specific name and no specific place, but His rule is in all directions IN THE WORLD, so also the soul has neither name nor place anywhere in the body, but its rule is in every direction, and there is no part of the body that is vacated of it.
862. And for this reason, no one place IN THE BODY should be noted as that OF THE SOUL, for, otherwise, IF ONE PLACE IS SO NOTED it would follow that its rule is lacking in the remaining parts of the body. Nor is it to be called by one, two, or even three names, saying that it is Chochmah and from Binah, that it has Da'at, and no more, for if one does this, IT WOULD FOLLOW THAT it lacks the other grades.
863. And this is even truer with respect to the Master of the Universe, to whom no place should be ascribed nor specific name attributed, nor should He be doubled or tripled IN THEM, namely, the grade of the Chariot, in which it is said, 'They thrice ascribe holiness to You', since all the grades of all His Chariots are tripled, as in "the patriarchs, they are the Chariot," namely the likeness of lion, ox and eagle. For they are a Chariot for man, and it is said of them: "As for the likeness of their faces, they had the face of a man" (Yechezkel 1:10). And from the aspect of the Female, they, LION, OX, EAGLE, rule over man, WHICH IS THE NAME OF THE FEMALE, and the Female is a Chariot for LION, OX, EAGLE. And this is why it is said about her "They thrice ascribe holiness to You."
864. Similarly, the letters YUD-HEI-VAV, that ALLUDE TO the faces of the living creatures, LION, OX AND EAGLE, are tripled, thus: Yud-Hei-Vav, Hei- Vav-Yud, and Vav-Hei-Yud. Hei is a fourth FOR THEM AND IS THE SECRET OF "They thrice ascribe holiness to You," AS ABOVE. It is the peace offerings (Heb. shelamim) of all of them, for in all of them it completes (Heb. mashlemet) in them all the Name of Yud Hei Vav Hei. But neither names nor letters must be tripled for the Master of All, for He is called by all the names and has no one specific name, and every single name testifies about Him that He is Master of all the worlds, AND THE NAME Adonai testifies about Him.
865. And there is a person who inherits three hundred and ten worlds, as it is written: "That I may cause those that love Me to inherit substance (Heb. yesh = 310)" (Mishlei 8:21). THIS IS according to the level OF CHOCHMAH that is called 'something out of nothing', FOR KETER IS CALLED 'NAUGHT' AND CHOCHMAH, 'SUBSTANCE THAT IS DRAWN OUT OF NAUGHT', and this is upper Chochmah. And there is also the person who only inherits one world, according to his level as has been taught: Each and every righteous man has a world for himself. Likewise every person in Yisrael inherits a world according to his level on high, but there is no recording of a world for the Master of the Universe, for He is the Master (Heb. adon) of all the worlds, as the name Adonai testifies about Him.
866. Likewise with the Name Yud Hei Vav Hei, on which all existences depend, and He and all His existences testify about the Master of the Universe that He pre-existed all existences, that He is within every existence, and that He will be after all existences. And this is the secret that the beings testify about Him, that He was, is, and will be.
867. Dina (Eng. 'judgment') is composed of the letters of Adonai, re-arranged. And for this reason, our teachers of blessed memory said: The law of the government is the law (Heb. dina). The name El testifies about the Master of All, that no name, Yud Hei Vav Hei, grade, and certainly none of the other creatures has any ability apart from Him. And this is as is written: "and all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and He does according to His will in the host of heaven..." (Daniel 4:32). Elohim testifies to His Divinity, that He is the Elohim, and the Elohim of Elohim, and He is Eloha over all, and there is no Eloha above Him. Tzva'ot (Eng. 'Hosts') testifies about Him, as it is written: "He does according to His will in the host of heaven." Shadai (Shin-Dalet-Yud) testifies about Him that (Heb. she), when He said to the world "Enough" (Heb. dai), THE WORLD stopped within its limits and did not expand any more. Likewise, to the water, wind, and fire HE SAID: "ENOUGH."