75. "Now there arose a new king over Egypt" (Shemot 1:8). In the book of Rav Hamnuna Saba, it is written thus, what is the meaning of "now there arose a new king over Egypt?" Come and behold, all the nations of the world and all the kings in the world did not become secure in their dominion save for the sake of Yisrael. Egypt did not rule over the whole world until Yisrael came and entered into exile there. Then they overpowered all the nations of the world. Babylon did not acquire power over all the nations of the world, only so that Yisrael would be in exile by them. Edom acquired power over all the nations of the world only so that Yisrael would be exiled among them. For these nations were once humble among the other nations, and were lower than all of them, and because of Yisrael they became strong.
76. Egypt WAS LOWLIER THAN ALL THE NATIONS, for it is written OF THEM, "From the house of bondage" (Shemot 20:2). They are called 'actual slaves,' because the Egyptians were [formerly] lowlier than all the nations. Babylon WAS LOWLY, as it is written, "Behold the land of Chaldeans; this people was not" (Yeshayah 23:13). Edom WAS LOWLY, as it is written, "Behold, I make you small among the nations; you are greatly despised" (Ovadyah 1:2).
77. And they all received power only on account of Yisrael; for when the children of Yisrael were in exile among them, they immediately become powerful over all the nations in the world. What is the reason? Because Yisrael alone is comparable to all the nations in the world. When the children of Yisrael began their exile in Egypt, Egypt immediately experienced an elevation and their rule was strengthened above all the nations, as it is written, "Now there arose a new king over Egypt." "Arose," MEANS they rose and became strong! And THE ANGEL, who is the minister appointed to the rule of Egypt, was strengthened and rose. He was given power and dominion over all who were appointed over the other nations, because dominion IS GIVEN first to the one who is appointed above and then to his nation below. Therefore, THE VERSE SAYS, "Now there arose a new king over Egypt." This is the one who was appointed over them. He was new, because until that time, he had no dominion over the other nations; then he was raised to rule over all the nations in the world. Then this was fulfilled, "For three things the earth is disquieted...for a slave when he becomes king..." (Mishlei 30:21) BECAUSE THE EGYPTIANS WERE SLAVES.
78. Rabbi Chiya said, Thirty days before power comes to a nation on earth or before a crisis comes to a nation on the earth, it is announced in the world. Sometimes it is given over to the mouth of a child, and sometimes to people who have no sense, and sometimes it is given over to the birds and they announce in the world and nobody listens to them. And when people are righteous, it is given over to the leaders, the righteous of the world, so they may notify the people and repent to their Master. And if the people are not righteous, then it is as we said!
79. Rabbi Elazar was once sitting in the gate of the city of Lod with Rabbi Aba, Rabbi Yehuda and Rabbi Yosi. Rabbi Yosi said, I will tell you what I saw this morning. I got up with the MORNING light and I saw a bird - THAT IS, AN ANGEL - that was flying. It raised itself three times and lowered itself one time, and was saying: Exalted ones, Exalted ones, on this day the firmaments are soaring. Three upright overseers rule over the world, and one is sitting yet not sitting. HE ALSO WANTS TO STAND AND NOT SIT. He passed through a burning fire, his position is removed and his dominion removed. And three pillars, supernal rulers, stand over the world.
80. I threw a clod of earth towards that bird and I said to it: Bird, Bird, tell me of the three who are appointees and the one who was removed from rulership. Who are they? It cast three arrows at me from the right wing, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF ZEIR ANPIN, and one from the left, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE NUKVA. I did not know to what it was alluding - MEANING I DID NOT KNOW THE NEW THOUGHT IT WAS TRYING TO TEACH ME.
81. Rabbi Elazar took those arrows, lowered them to his nostrils and blood started to flow from them - AN ALLUSION TO JUDGMENT COLORED RED. He said, Surely there are three rulers among the nations standing in THE CITY OF Rome on earth, BECAUSE THEY ARE DRAWN FROM CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET OF ZEIR ANPIN, and they will impose evil laws against Yisrael from the side of the Romans. THIS MEANS THAT THE BLEMISH THAT YISRAEL CAUSED IN CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET ENABLED THE ROMANS TO DESTROY THE TEMPLE AND TO IMPOSE EVIL DECREES. He took that arrow THAT THE BIRD THREW from its left wing, smelled it, and a black fire burst forth from it. THIS IS THE LEFT COLOR THAT IS UNIQUE TO THE NUKVA WHICH IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE THREE COLORS OF THE RAINBOW - WHITE, RED AND GREEN, WHICH COME FROM THE THREE COLUMNS CHESED, GVURAH AND TIFERET, AND DO NOT CONTAIN BLACK. He said, They have deposed the rule of the Egyptians WHO DRAW THE LIGHT OF THE LEFT FROM ABOVE DOWN. In the future, a Roman king will pass through the whole land of Egypt and will appoint in Egypt officers and warriors. He will destroy buildings THAT WERE BUILT AND DRAWN FROM THE LEFT SIDE, and will rebuild ruins THAT WERE DESTROYED BECAUSE THEY WERE FROM THE RIGHT, AND EGYPT HAD NO DESIRE FOR THEM. Rabbi Elazar threw those ARROWS to the ground, MEANING THAT HE DREW THEIR ILLUMINATION FROM ABOVE DOWN. The three arrows fell upon the one from the left side AND THE ONE FROM THE LEFT SIDE WAS BURNT, AND THE THREE ARROWS OF THE RIGHT SIDE REMAINED, AS SHALL BE EXPLAINED.
82. While they were still sitting, a young boy passed by and was reading: "The burden of Egypt. Behold Hashem rides on a light cloud and comes to Egypt" (Yeshayah 19:1). His friend, a second boy, passed and said, "The land of Egypt will be desolate." A third friend passed and said, "The wisdom of Egypt is lost." They saw that the arrow of the left wing was burnt and the arrows that were on it were not burnt.
83. Rabbi Elazar said, That of the bird and that of the boys are all one thing, FOR THE CHILDREN WITH THEIR VERSES ALSO SAID THAT EGYPT - WHICH IS THE LEFT COLUMN THAT ILLUMINATED FROM ABOVE DOWN - WILL BECOME DESOLATE AND WILL BE DESTROYED. This is all a supernal prophecy THAT WAS GIVEN TO BIRDS AND CHILDREN, and the Holy One, blessed be He, wanted to show us the supernal secrets He affected, and this HE HAS SENT TO US. This is what is written, "Surely Hashem Elohim will do nothing, without revealing His secret to His servants the prophets" (Amos 3:7).
84. Sages are always superior to prophets, because the Holy Spirit sometimes dwells upon prophets and sometimes does not. As for sages, the Holy Spirit is not removed from them even for a moment, and they know what is above and below though they must not reveal. Rabbi Yosi said, Everything pertains to wisdom and the wisdom of Rabbi Elazar IS SUPERIOR to all. Rabbi Aba said, If not for the sages, people would not know what Torah is and what are the commandments of the Master of the World, and there would be no difference between the spirit of man and the spirit of animals.