86. Come and see, when the Holy One, blessed be He, created the world, He installed the ocean that surrounds the whole inhabitable world, and the settlement of all seventy nations surrounding Jerusalem. Jerusalem is situated in the center of all this settled area and it surrounds the Temple mount. The Temple mount surrounds all the Temple courts of Yisrael, and these Temple courts encircle the Temple treasuries for congregational sacrifices, MEANING TO SAY, IN TERMS OF IMPORTANCE, which compartments also include the seat of the high court of the Sanhedrin. We have learned that there were no seating privileges in these Temple courts, with the exception made to the kings of the house of David. IN SPITE OF ALL THESE, THEY SURROUNDED THE TEMPLE TREASURIES, WHERE THE SEAT OF THE SANHEDRIN ABIDES. AND HE COUNTS HERE SEVEN ASPECTS, ONE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE ONE BEFORE, IN PARALLEL WITH THE SEVEN SFIROT.
87. The Temple treasuries for congregational sacrifices surround the altar, and the altar area surrounds the front entrance hall. That hall surrounds the sanctuary and the sanctuary the Holy of Holies, wherein are found the Shechinah and the Ark cover and the Cherubs and the Ark. Here is the heart of the land and the world. From here, all the settled areas, which are the organs of this body - MEANING OF THE WORLD - get their nourishment. This heart, WHICH IS THE SHECHINAH, gets its nourishment from the brain in the head, WHICH IS MALCHUT OF ATZILUT, and they unite with each other. This is what is written: "In the sanctuary, Hashem, which Your hands have established" (Shemot 15:17). It is similar to this high above, IN THE WORLD OF ATZILUT, and THE HEART is in the secret of the supernal King, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN. THE BRAIN ABOVE IS in the secret OF THE BRAIN, the precious and concealed, MEANING THE CONCEALED BRAIN OF ARICH ANPIN, FROM WHICH ZEIR ANPIN, THE SECRET OF THE HEART, RECEIVES THROUGH ABA AND IMA.
88. The upper sea, WHICH IS MALCHUT OF ATZILUT, corresponds to that. IT ALSO CONTAINS THE SAME MENTIONED THREE ASPECTS IN ITS CHARIOT, WHICH ARE THE ASPECT OF THE BODY ORGANS, THE HEART IN THEIR CENTER - FROM WHICH THE BODY ORGANS RECEIVE - AND THE BRAIN IN THE HEAD, FROM WHICH THE HEART RECEIVES. There is a sea above the sea OF THIS WORLD - MEANING TO SAY, JUST LIKE THERE IS A SEA IN THIS WORLD, SO THERE IS ABOVE IN ATZILUT A SEA, WHICH IS MALCHUT. There is also a sea from the sea, THERE IS ADDITIONALLY EVEN A HIGHER SEA ABOVE THE HIGH SEA THAT IS MALCHUT, SINCE BINAH IS ALSO CALLED SEA. NOW THE ZOHAR EXPLAINS THE CHARIOT OF MALCHUT IN ITS THREE ASPECTS, EACH ASPECT INCLUDING SEVERAL ASPECTS. AND HE SAYS, Come and see, the Dinur River (lit. 'of fire'). surrounds several camps OF ANGELS. Across from it emerge seventy aspects OF ANGELS, inscribed with seven torches, WHICH ARE SEVEN SFIROT - CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD, YESOD AND MALCHUT - OF THE FLAME OF GVURAH, WHERE EACH ONE IS COMPRISED OF TEN THAT GUARD THE SHECHINAH. They encircle those who serve on the interior of them, and they surround the four Chariots, WHICH ARE THE SECRET OF THE FOUR ANGELS - MICHAEL, GABRIEL, URIEL, RAPHAEL - WHERE EACH ONE IS COMPRISED OF THREE THAT CARRY MALCHUT. AND UP TO HERE IS THE ASPECT OF THE BODY AND THE EXTERIOR ASPECT OF MALCHUT. They encircle this holy city that reclines over them, WHICH IS MALCHUT OF ATZILUT, THAT IS THE SECRET OF THE HEART IN THEM. EXCEPT THAT SHE TOO SPLITS UP TO SEVERAL ASPECTS, AS HE CONTINUES ON TO SAY.
89. NOW HE EXPLAINS THAT MALCHUT HERSELF IS DIVIDED UP INTO SEVERAL ASPECTS AND JUST THE INNERMOST PART, THAT IS THE HEART, RECEIVES FROM THE BRAIN, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN. HE SAYS, We learned that there, IN MALCHUT, there are Temple courts within Temple courts. There is no seating in that court, except for the kings of the house of David that reside and sit there, MEANING TO SAY THAT THE KINGS OF THE HOUSE OF DAVID ARE ATTACHED TO IT. The High Court of the Sanhedrin is located in the Treasury Chambers, and the courthouse above them that serves that place, MEANING TO SAY THAT THEY ARE SERVING MALCHUT EXCLUSIVELY AND NOTHING OF THEM IS CARRIED FURTHER DOWN FOR THE LOWER GRADES. Judgment is carried from there to the uppermost holy, MEANING TO SAY THAT THE JUDGMENTS IN THERE THAT FLOW DOWN OVER THE HEADS OF THE WICKED ALONE ARE CONCEIVABLE TO THE MOST HOLY IN THE SECRET MEANING OF WHAT IS WRITTEN: "AND THEY SHALL GO FORTH, AND LOOK UPON THE CARCASSES OF THE MEN..." (YESHAYAH 66:24) until it reaches the area considered the Holy of Holies, WHICH IS THE INNERMOST INTERIOR OF MALCHUT; THAT IS, YESOD OF HER GREATNESS in which everything exists. The heart lies there - that is, the one which is nourished from the upper brain - WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, and they unite with each other.
90. HE RETURNS TO THE MATTERS MENTIONED AND DEFINES THEM MORE THOROUGHLY. It is similar up above, IN ATZILUT; and this, THE HEART, accords with the secret meaning of the supernal King THAT IS ZEIR ANPIN, AND THE BRAIN with the secret of the precious concealed BRAIN OF ARICH ANPIN FROM WHICH ZEIR ANPIN RECEIVES THROUGH ABA AND IMA. Consequently, everything is nourished from the higher brain OF ARICH ANPIN, that is hidden from everything. When attention is paid to these matters, IT IS APPARENT that all things are connected to each other.
91. Come and see: When the concealed Atika - THAT IS THE CONCEALED BRAIN OF ARICH ANPIN - shines in the brain - THAT IS ABA - then the brain illuminates the heart - THAT IS ZEIR ANPIN - in the pleasant path of Hashem; THAT IS, THROUGH BINAH CALLED THE PLEASANTNESS OF HASHEM. We have explained that this is "the power of Hashem" (Bemidbar 14:17). Meaning that power flows from Atika Kadisha, who is the most concealed. "Be great" (Ibid.) MEANS that it will grow and increase high above and flow and run down. "According as you have spoken" (Ibid.) is as was explained THAT HE IS LONGSUFFERING BOTH TO THE JUST AND THE WICKED. "Saying" (Ibid.), meaning that the later generations should take lessons from this forever and meaning that they should mention this in times of trouble, and say it in times of abundance. Say what? That is: "Hashem is longsuffering..." (Ibid. 18), and we have already defined these things.
92. Rabbi Yitzchak said, Why is "truth" missing here, MEANING THAT "AND ABUNDANT IN LOVE AND TRUTH" (SHEMOT 34:6), IS NOT MENTIONED HERE AS IT IS MENTIONED AT THE THIRTEEN MEASURES IN THE PORTION OF KI TISA. Rabbi Chiya said, THE SPIES caused it to be removed from here - HASHEM AND TRUTH - since they carried on with deception, and with the same measure that a person measures, he is measured FROM ABOVE. Likewise, the other measures were gone, so that Moses could not mention them, SINCE WE FIND HERE ONLY NINE MEASURES OF COMPASSION AND NOT THIRTEEN. This was brought about BY THE SPIES. "I have pardoned according to your word" (Bemidbar 14:20). means actually your word. This was already commented on by the friends and we have learned it.