93. THE BEGINNING OF THIS ARTICLE IS MISSING. They spoke with each other what they could not speak before this. They emerged from that opening and sat in the garden underneath the trees. They said to each other, Since we were here and saw all this, if we die here, we will most certainly attain the World to Come. They sat down. A sleep fell upon them. In the meanwhile, the one appointed came and woke them up. He told them to get up and go into the orchard outside, MEANING TO THE EXTERIOR LEVEL. They went out. They noticed the scholars of the scriptures, who talked of this verse: "In this wilderness shall they be consumed" (Bemidbar 14:35), but not in another place, THAT IS, THEY WILL MERIT THE WORLD TO COME. "And there they shall die" (Ibid.), but not in another place, MEANING THAT THEY WILL HAVE THE LIFE OF THE WORLD TO COME. That concerns the bodies - THAT EVEN IN THIS WORLD, THEY WILL ONLY DIE FROM THE ASPECT OF THE BODY - but not the souls, WHICH WILL BE similar to the denizens of the Garden, MEANING THE SOULS WILL MERIT THE GARDEN OF EDEN.
94. The appointed one told them to leave. They left with him. He asked them, Did you hear something on that level? They said, We heard that a voice was saying that whoever stops shall be stopped, whoever curtails shall be curtailed and whoever curtails shall be prolonged. He said to them, Do you understand what this means? They said no. He said to them, Did you see that great eagle and that child that picks grasses? This was Rabbi Ila'i from Netzivin, he and his son. They arrived here and they saw him and his boy and this cave. As soon as they entered into this darkness, they were not able to stand it and died.
95. That child, his son, stands daily in front of Betzalel, when he descends from his high Yeshivah, and says to him three things, prior to Betzalel's divulgence of the concealed secrets of wisdom. All his sayings are concealed secrets, since "neither has the eye seen, that Elohim, beside You" (Yeshayah 64:3). That is what is said: 'Whoever stops, shall be stopped meaning that whoever ceases from the sayings of Torah in order to speak of vain matters, his life will be ended from this world. His judgment remains for the World to Come. 'Whoever curtails shall be curtailed' means that whoever cuts short the Amen and does not extend it leisurely, BUT SAYS IT ABRUPTLY, shall have his life shortened in this world. Whoever curtails shall be prolonged means that whoever said Echad (Eng. 'one') must hurry with the Aleph OF ECHAD and shorten its pronunciation, and not dally with this letter at all. Whoever acts this way shall have his life extended.
96. They said to him: He further said: They are two and one joins them. They become three and when they are three, they are one. He told them, These are the two names, Yud Hei Vav Hei and Yud Hei Vav Hei in Sh'ma Yisrael (the Kriat Sh'ma). "Our Elohim" was united with them and that is the seal of the ring, truth. When they are joined together, they are one in one union.
97. He said more: They are two and to one he returned. When he dominates, he flies on the wings of the wind and loiters and wanders into a group of two hundred thousand ones and hides there. He said to them, These are the two Cherubs upon which the Holy One, blessed be He, was riding. From the day that Joseph was hidden from his brothers, one was stored away and one remained with Benjamin as it is written: "And He rode upon the Cherub, and did fly: He soared on the wings of the wind" (Tehilim 18:11). AND WHAT HE SAID, And was hidden in two hundred thousand and was hidden, that refers to the one who rides on it, THAT IS CONCEALED IN TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND, that those two hundred thousand that are stored away are His, blessed is He.
98. THE APPOINTED ONE told them, Go out from here. You are righteous AND DESERVING A HIGHER LEVEL. They emerged. The appointed one presented them with a lily, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF MALCHUT IN THE ASPECT OF LOWER CHOCHMAH and they left. When they left, the opening of the cave was shut and was not visible at all. They noticed the eagle, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE FACE OF AN EAGLE, which descended from a tree and entered into a different cave. They inhaled the scent of the lily, AS THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH IS CALLED SCENT, and entered there. They discovered the eagle on the mouth of the cave. He told them, Enter friends, the truly righteous, since I have not felt the gladness of having company since the day that I have been here, except through you.
99. They entered another orchard, MEANING TO ANOTHER LEVEL, and the eagle was with them, THAT IS THE SECRET OF THE FACE OF AN EAGLE. When they arrived at those scholars of the Mishnah, the eagle converted back to the shape of a man, MEANING TO THE SECRET OF THE FACE OF A MAN with a precious glowing robe like them, and sat together with them. He said to THE MISHNAH SCHOLARS that were seated, Give honor to the Mishnah scholars that arrived here, since their Master shows them great wonders. One of them said to them, Have you a sign THAT YOU ARE WORTHY OF BEING HERE? They replied, Yes. They slipped out two lilies and smelled them, THEREBY ALLUDING TO MALCHUT AND BINAH THAT ARE COMBINED TOGETHER IN THE SECRET OF THE TWO LILLIES. They said, Be seated, heads of the Yeshivah. Be seated, truly righteous men. They held on to them and they sat. At that time, they learned from them thirty Halachot (lit. 'laws') that they did not know of before, and other secret meanings in the Torah.
100. They then returned to the scholars of the scripture, and they found them studying and saying: "I had said, 'You are angels (Heb. Elohim), all of you sons of the most High'" (Tehilim 82:6), MEANING "I had said" during the time when you acted before listening, for "You are Elohim..." However, since you were drawn after your Evil Inclination, "nevertheless, you shall die like a man..." (Ibid. 7), just like the death of man brings him to dust in order to erase the Evil Inclination in his corpse. It is that Evil Inclination that dies and decays within.
101. The older man in charge over them said, It is also written here: "But as for you, your carcasses (Heb. pigreichem) shall fall in this wilderness" (Bemidbar 14:32). IF IT WAS JUST THE DEMISE OF THE BAD INCLINATION, what is the meaning of "your carcasses" IN THE PLURAL FORM? IT IS ONE EVIL INCLINATION THAT APPLIES TO ALL OF THEM. HE RESPONDS: That Evil Inclination is combined of male and female, AND "YOUR CARCASSES" MEANS the things lacking in you, since the Evil Inclination IS CALLED LACK, AS IT always descends to an area that is lacking IN THE PERSON and does not ascend. Hence, we always promote things pertaining to holiness, not to decrease. In defilement, there is always a decrease and never an increase. Therefore, THE EVIL INCLINATION IS REFERRED TO AS, "your carcasses," MEANING those things lacking within you, as it is written: "Who were too weak (Heb. pigru) to go over the wadi" (I Shmuel 30:10). The final sequence of the verse is proof THAT IT REFERS TO THE EVIL INCLINATION, since it is written: "(they) shall fall" (Bemidbar 14:39) and IT IS not WRITTEN: '(you) shall fall.' So, too, "in this wilderness they shall be consumed" (Ibid. 35) these carcasses, MEANING, THE EVIL INCLINATIONS, "and there they shall die," since it is the wish of the Holy One, blessed be He, to eliminate these carcasses from the world forever.
102. Rabbi Ila'i said to them: truly righteous men, enter and see, since permission is given to you to proceed to the area where the veil is spread. Praised is your lot. They rose and entered a place where there were scholars of Agadah, whose faces were bright as the sunlight. They said: Who are these? He said to them: These are the Agadah scholars, and they properly see the light of the Torah, daily. They remained and listened to several new illuminations in the Torah, but were not given authority to join with them.