134. It is written: "You shall dwell in booths (Heb. sukkot) seven days" (Vayikra 23:42). This is the secret of Faith, WHICH IS MALCHUT, WHO RECEIVES ALL HER MOCHIN BY THE SECRET OF THIS PASSAGE. This verse refers to the supernal world, WHICH IS BINAH, as we have learned. When the world was created, this verse was said.
135. When Chochmah - NAMELY, SUPERNAL ABA AND IMA THAT ARE CALLED 'ABA' AND 'CHOCHMAH' - commenced to emerge from the unknown and unseen place, NAMELY, FROM THE HEAD OF ARICH ANPIN, then a curtain emerged and struck. That supernal Chochmah sparkled and spread in all directions in the secret of the supernal Tabernacle, WHICH IS YISRAEL-SABA AND TEVUNAH, THAT IS CALLED 'BINAH' AND 'IMA'. That supernal Tabernacle brought forth six extremities, WHICH ARE ZEIR ANPIN, and then the sparkling of the curtain illuminated everything, and is written, "You shall dwell in booths seven days".
136. Why is "Sukkot" spelled without the Vav? This is the lower Tabernacle, NAMELY MALCHUT, that is like a lantern, WHICH IS A GLASS UTENSIL INTO WHICH A CANDLE IS PLACED TO LIGHT, to show all lights. Then THE GLITTERING OF THE CURTAIN said: "You shall dwell in booths (Heb. sukkot) seven days". Who are the seven days? They are from the Supernal World, WHICH IS BINAH, to the Lower WORLD, WHICH IS MALCHUT, for all THE SEVEN DAYS, WHICH ARE CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD, YESOD AND MALCHUT OF BINAH, maintain their existence to shine on this tabernacle (Heb. sukkah). What is it? It is "the Tabernacle of David that is fallen" (Amos 9:11), the Tabernacle of Peace, NAMELY MALCHUT, and the Holy Nation should sit under its shade in the secret of Faith, WHICH IS MALCHUT. One who sits in this shadow, sits among these supernal days OF BINAH.
137. Therefore, "Sukkot" IS ALWAYS SPELLED WITHOUT A VAV, WHICH ALLUDES TO MALCHUT, AS MENTIONED. BUT IN one PLACE, it is spelled, "sukkot," plane. It shows that whoever sits in the shadow OF THE GLITTERING OF THE CURTAIN, MENTIONED ABOVE, sits among these supernal days of above - NAMELY CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD, YESOD AND MALCHUT OF BINAH, that are over the lower, WHICH IS MALCHUT, to illuminate Her, cover Her and protect Her when necessary.
138. AND IT CAN also BE SAID that they are all read "Sukkot," in full, and that which is written "Sukkot," without the Vav, refers to the Lower World, WHICH IS MALCHUT. She has to feed the other appointed Ministers of the world during these holy seven days, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF THE SEVENTY OXEN THAT ARE OFFERED DURING THE SEVEN DAYS OF SUKKOT, while She still receives joy from Her husband. THIS IS NECESSARY FOR HER in order that they do not incite during the joy, AND SHE ALLOWS THEM to delight themselves with that food. Their offerings are more plentiful than usual so that they are occupied with them and do not mingle in the joy of the children of Yisrael. THIS IS SIMILAR TO GIVING A PORTION OF THE GOAT OF THE FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH, AND THE GOAT TO AZAZEL. What is the joy of the children of Yisrael? This is on Shmini Atzeret (the eighth day of Sukkot, day of Convocation).
139. Come and behold: while the other appointed princes are rejoicing and eating that food that the children of Yisrael prepare for them, NAMELY THE SEVENTY OXEN, they prepare a throne for the Holy One, blessed be He, from below AT THE SAME TIME - MEANING THAT THEY ARE PREPARING MALCHUT TO BE A THRONE FOR THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, to elevate Her up with these FOUR kinds, with the joy OF SUKKOT AND THE RECITATION OF Hallel, and by circling the altar. She, MALCHUT, ascends and receives blessings and joy in Her husband, IN ZEIR ANPIN.
140. The other living creatures, WHICH ARE THE SEVENTY appointed princes of the nations, eat and chew well, AND THE RESIDUE OF THEIR EATING they trample with their feet, and they are sustained, THAT IS, BY THE SEVENTY OXEN, AS MENTIONED. She, MALCHUT, takes the souls and elevates them to the supernal delight, TO ZEIR ANPIN, as we have said, as She descended and holds all the blessings and Holiness and delights that the children of Yisrael draw down during all these seven days, through these actions and offered sacrifices to Her. Then She descends to be close to Her children and to make them happy for one day. That day is the eighth day, because all the other seven days are with Her, as explained. Therefore, it is the eighth, and it is eight days united. Therefore, it is called 'Atzeret', MEANING gathered, because all THE SEVEN DAYS gather together on that EIGHTH day (Heb. Shmini Atzeret), and it is called 'eighth', NAMELY THE 'EIGHTH DAY OF CONVOCATION'. It is eighth only because of the inclusion of the seven. THEREFORE, IT IS CALLED BY TWO NAMES: IT IS CALLED 'EIGHTH' BECAUSE IT IS EIGHTH OF THE SEVEN DAYS, AND IT IS CALLED 'CONVOCATION' BECAUSE IT INCLUDES WITHIN ITSELF ALL THE SEVEN DAYS TOGETHER.