72. Two types of bread were eaten by Yisrael: when they left Egypt, they ate matzah, the bread of affliction, WHICH IS BREAD FROM MALCHUT. And in the wilderness they ate bread from heaven, WHICH IS THE BREAD OF ZEIR ANPIN, THAT IS CALLED 'HEAVEN', as it is written: "Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you" (Shemot 16:4). Therefore, the offering of this day OF THE FEAST OF WEEKS is bread, and all the other offerings were offered with the bread. The bread is the main part, as is written: "And you shall offer with the bread seven lambs..." (Vayikra 23:18), "You shall bring out of your habitations two wave loaves" (Ibid. 17). For this is the bread with which Yisrael became wise with the supernal Wisdom of the Torah, and entered its ways.
73. We should now observe that during Pesach, Yisrael came away from the bread that is called 'chametz', as it is written: "And there shall no leavened bread (Heb. chametz) be seen" (Shemot 13:7), and: "For whoever eats that which is leavened" (Shemot 12:19). What is the reason THAT THEY ABANDONED CHAMETZ? It is because of the honor of the bread that is called 'matzah'. HE ASKS: Now that Yisrael merited a higher bread, THE BREAD OF ZEIR ANPIN, would it not have been proper for the chametz to be abolished and not be seen at all? Why was the offering OF THE FIRST FRUITS BREAD chametz, as it is written: "they shall be of fine flour; they shall be baked with leaven" (Vayikra 23:17). Also on this day, the Evil Inclination was negated, WHICH IS THE SECRET OF CHAMETZ, as the Torah, that is called 'freedom', was available. WHY THEN DID THEY BRING CHAMETZ?
74. HE ANSWERS: THIS IS SIMILAR to a king who had an only son who became ill. One day he wished to eat. They said: Let the king's son take this medicine, but before he eats it, no food whatsoever should be in the house. They did so. After he had taken the medicine, they said: From now on he may eat whatever he desires and it will do him no harm.
75. Similarly, when Yisrael left Egypt, they did not know the essence and secret of Faith. The Holy One, blessed be He, let Yisrael taste medicine, but while they take this medicine, no other food should be visible to them, NAMELY CHAMETZ. As soon as they had eaten matzah, which is a curative to aid in coming into and knowing the secret of Faith, WHICH IS MALCHUT, the Holy One, blessed be He, said: 'From now on, chametz is suitable for them and they may eat it, because it can no longer harm them'. And more so on the day of Shavuot, when the supernal bread OF ZEIR ANPIN is present, which is a complete cure!
76. Therefore, we offer chametz, WHICH IS THE EVIL INCLINATION, to be burnt on the altar, MEANING THROUGH THE OFFERINGS THAT ARE OFFERED ON THE ALTAR. Two other loaves of bread are offered BY WAVING THEM together. 'OTHERS' MEANS IN ADDITION TO THE OFFERINGS. The chametz, WHICH IS THE EVIL INCLINATION, is burned in the fire on the altar, THROUGH THE OFFERINGS, and cannot have power over nor harm Yisrael. Therefore, Yisrael cleave to the Holy One, blessed be He, on this day through the remedy of Torah. If Yisrael observed those two types of bread, NAMELY MATZAH AND THE HOLY SUPERNAL BREAD OF ZEIR ANPIN, they would never be punished.
77. The day of Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year), which is the Day of Judgment, is only for those who did not take the medicine, WHICH IS MATZOT, and abandoned the remedy of Torah. FOR THROUGH THESE TWO REMEDIES the other food IS FIXED, which is chametz. On this day of Rosh Hashanah, that chametz ascends and accuses the person and slanders him, and is on this day an Accuser of the world. The Holy One, blessed be He, sits in Judgment over everything and judges the world.
78. Because of this, when the Holy One, blessed be He, gave the Torah to Yisrael, He had them taste that supernal bread from that place, MALCHUT. Through that bread, they knew and observed the secrets of the Torah so as to walk the right way, and the friends have already explained these matters through these secrets, as we have said.
79. Rabbi Shimon and Rabbi Elazar, his son, were traveling on the road accompanied by Rabbi Aba and Rabbi Yosi. While they were walking, they met an old man who was holding a young boy by the hand. Rabbi Shimon raised his eyes and saw him. He said to Rabbi Aba: assuredly this old man has new ideas for us.
80. When they reached him, Rabbi Shimon said to him: Why do you come with a load tied to your back - MEANING, DO YOU NOT HAVE A DONKEY TO CARRY YOUR LOAD? Who are you? He said to him: I am a Jew. RABBI SHIMON said to him: You must definitely have certain new matters with you today. RABBI SHIMON said to him: Where is your country? He said to him: I used to live among those who retired to the wilderness, for I was endeavoring there in the Torah. Now, I have come to civilization to sit in the shadow of the Holy One, blessed be He, during the days of this seventh month.
81. Rabbi Shimon rejoiced and said: Let us sit, because certainly the Holy One, blessed be He, has sent you to us. He said to him: upon your life, we shall hear a word from your mouth of those new yet old matters that you planted there, in the wilderness, concerning this seventh month. Why did you leave the wilderness to come to civilization? The old sage said to him: From this question I know that you possess wisdom and your words reach the firmament of Wisdom.