5. It is written, "If Your presence go not with me, carry us not up from here. For in what shall it be known..." (Shemot 33:15-16). We have learned that when the Holy One, blessed be He, said to Moses, 'Behold My angel to walk before you,' Moses said, And why is it that the guidance of the sun shall be gathered, WHICH IS THE GUIDANCE OF ZEIR ANPIN, and the moon shall guide. I do not want the body of the moon, THE GUIDANCE OF MALCHUT CALLED AN ANGEL. AND HE SAID TO ZEIR ANPIN, "If Your presence go not with me, CARRY US NOT UP FROM HERE." I want neither the body of the sun, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN, nor the moon, WHICH IS MALCHUT. Then the body of the sun shone, and Moses became as the body of the sun before Yisrael. When Moses was gathered, the sun was gathered and the moon shone, which is Joshua ministering to the light of the moon. Woe to that shame.
6. "And he said to them, I am a hundred and twenty years old..." (Devarim 31:2). It is as Rabbi Elazar said that the sun shone on Yisrael for forty years and was gathered at the end of forty years and then the moon shone. HE THEREFORE SAID, "I CAN NO MORE GO OUT AND COME IN" (IBID.), BECAUSE THE TIME HAS COME FOR THE MOON TO RULE, WHICH IS THE ASPECT OF JOSHUA. Rabbi Shimon said, surely it is thus, as it is written, "but sometimes ruin comes for want of judgment" (Mishlei 13:23), which the friends have already explained, and we shall expound on this verse. But in relation to what the friends have said, everything is needed in the world for the good of man, who will be gone before his time, THAT IS, THAT HE IS RUINED WITHOUT JUDGMENT, AS SHALL BE EXPLAINED.
7. Come and see, we learned that all spirits that emerge from above come out male and female, and separate WHEN THEY COME INTO THE WORLD TO BE CLOTHED IN BODIES. At times the female soul will emerge into the world before THE SOUL OF the male has come out, who is her mate. Whenever it is not the time of the man to join his woman and another came, WHO IS NOT HER MATE, and married her, then when his, HER SOULMATE'S, time comes to unite with her, righteousness, WHICH IS THE ATTRIBUTE OF JUDGMENT, is awakened in the world to punish for the iniquities of the world. It gathers that man who married her, THAT IS, IT TAKES HIS SOUL SO HE DIES, and the other comes, WHO IS HER MATE, and marries her. This is why matching couples is difficult for the Holy One, blessed be He, LIKE THE SPLITTING OF THE RED SEA.
8. This is true if the man, WHO IS NOT HER MATE, sinned in his actions, THAT HE IS TAKEN OUT OF THE WORLD WHEN THE TIME HAS COME FOR HER MATE TO MARRY HER. Even if he did not sin much TO BE SENTENCED TO DEATH, NEVERTHELESS he dies then before his time comes TO DIE and it is not done so ACCORDING TO judgment. Of him it is written, "but sometimes ruin comes for want of judgment." The Judgments of righteousness, WHICH IS MALCHUT OF THE ATTRIBUTE OF JUDGMENT, contact him because of his sins, because the time of the other, HER MATE, has come to marry her, because she is his, EVEN THOUGH ACCORDING TO JUDGMENT HE DOES NOT DESERVE DEATH.
9. Rabbi Elazar said to him, And why DOES HE DIE? Let the Holy One, blessed be He, separate them from each other and let him WHO IS HER MATE come and marry her. He replied, It is for the good of man, and He does kindly by him, so he will not see his wife under someone else's authority. Come and see, if he, HER MATE, is not of fitting deeds, then even if the woman is his, NEVERTHELESS the other is not rejected, WHO IS NOT HER MATE, from before him.
10. Come and see, King Saul took the kingship because although the kingship was David's the time of David had not yet come for it. THEREFORE, when David's time had come to inherit his own, righteousness awoke and gathered Saul in his sins, and he was pushed aside before David. And David came and took what was his.
11. Why did the Holy One, blessed be He, not take away the kingship from Saul TO GIVE IT TO DAVID, so he would not HAVE TO die? AND HE ANSWERS, the Holy One, blessed be He, did kindness with him by gathering his soul while he was still reigning, so he would not see his servant ruling over him and taking what had been his. It is so THAT HE MARRIED HIS NEIGHBOR'S MATE, AND THE TIME HAS COME FOR HIS NEIGHBOR TO MARRY HER, HE GATHERS HIS SOUL AND THEN MARRIES THE WOMAN TO HER MATE, SO HE WILL NOT SEE HIS WIFE IN ANOTHER AUTHORITY. This is why man has to beg for mercy from the Holy One, blessed be He, when he marries, that he will not be pushed aside before another.
12. It is written, "and Hashem said to me, Let it suffice you; speak no more to Me of this matter..." (Devarim 3:26). We explained that the Holy One, blessed be He, said to Moses, 'Moses, you want the world to change. Have you ever seen in your days that the sun will serve the moon? Have you ever seen in your days that the moon will rule while the sun is present? But, "Behold, your days approach that you must die. Call Joshua" (Devarim 31:14). Let the sun be gathered and the moon reign. Moreover, if you enter the land, the moon shall be gathered for you and will not be able to rule. Surely the dominion of the moon is come, WHICH IS JOSHUA, but it cannot rule as long as you are in the world.'
13. "Call Joshua, AND PRESENT YOURSELVES IN THE TENT OF MEETING, THAT I MAY GIVE HIM A CHARGE..." (Ibid.). What about His words, "Behold, you shall sleep with your fathers; and this people will rise up..." (Ibid. 16). We never found the Holy One, blessed be He, giving charge to Joshua but to Moses, as He said all that to Moses, as it is written, "and will forsake Me, and break My covenant...Then My anger will burn against them on that day" (Ibid. 16-17), "Now therefore write this poem for yourselves, and teach it to the children of Yisrael. Put it in their mouths" (Ibid. 19). ALL THIS WAS SAID TO MOSES. In that case what is meant by, "that I may give him a charge," SEEING THAT HE CHARGED HIM WITH NOTHING?
14. AND HE ANSWERS, the verse says, "Behold, you shall sleep with your fathers." The Holy One, blessed be He, said to Moses, 'Though you shall sleep with your fathers, yet you will always shine on the moon, NAMELY JOSHUA, WHO IS THE ASPECT OF THE MOON, MALCHUT, like the sun that, although it set, set only to shine on the moon. For then, after it set, it shines on the moon. Hence, "you shall sleep" to shine.' This is what is meant by, "that I may give him a charge." FOR WITH THE DEPARTURE OF MOSES, HE SHINES WITH WORDS OF HASHEM TO JOSHUA, LIKE THE SUN SHINES ON THE MOON AFTER IT SETS. THUS then Joshua was instructed to shine. Hence the verse, "you shall sleep with your fathers," that is, to shine on Joshua. And that is, "But charge Joshua" (Devarim 3:28); the purpose of everything is to illuminate HIM.