131. "And Jacob journeyed to Sukkot, and built him a house, and made booths (Heb. Sukkot) for his cattle; therefore the name of the place is called Sukot" (Beresheet 33:17). Rabbi Chiya opened the discussion with the verse, "A Ma'alot poem for Solomon. Unless Hashem builds the house ...unless Hashem keeps the city ..." (Tehilim 127:1). Come and behold, when the Holy One, blessed be He, ZEIR ANPIN, desired to create the world, MEANING TO BUILD THE FACE OF THE NUKVA, CALLED 'WORK,' He released a knot from the rough spark. It flashed in the darkness, remained up high, and then descended below. That darkness shone in a hundred ways in the thinnest paths and broadest WAYS, which became the House of the World.
132. That house is the center of everything, WHICH MEANS IT IS IN THE CENTRAL COLUMN OF ALL ROADS AND PATHS. THE NUKVA has many doors and hallways around the high and holy places, where the birds of the sky nest, each according to its species. In the center, there is a huge tree, WHICH IS ZEIR ANPIN THAT POURS PLENTY UPON THE HOUSE. It has many branches and fruits for everyone. The tree reaches to the clouds of heaven and is hidden behind three mountains. Underneath these three mountains it comes out, rises upwards, and descends.
133. This house, THE NUKVA, RECEIVED TWO TYPES OF LIGHTS FROM ZEIR ANPIN, (1) It is watered by him, NAMELY THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH, REFERRED TO AS WATERING. (2) ZEIR ANPIN stores within THE HOUSE many unidentified supernal treasures THAT WERE LIGHTS OF CHASSADIM. By this, the house is constructed and built. The tree, ZEIR ANPIN, is visible during the day and hidden at night, while the house, THE NUKVA, rules by night and is hidden by day.
134. When darkness falls, THE NUKVA is in power AND she is bound to it; SHE RULES BECAUSE SHE LACKS CHASSADIM, AND SHINES WITH CHOCHMAH. All her doors are closed on all sides, WHICH MEANS THAT ALL THE LIGHTS ARE FROZEN AND THERE IS NO OPENING THROUGH WHICH ANY LIGHT CAN BE REVEALED. Many spirits OF RIGHTEOUS PEOPLE soar in the air, desirous to know, NAMELY, RECEIVE CHOCHMAH, and enter THE NUKVA. They come among the birds to receive testimony, and then roam and see whatever they can see.
135. THE CLOSING OF ALL OPENINGS CONTINUES until the darkness is stirred, to which THE NUKVA is bound, and one flame is produced, which strikes open the doors and cleaves rocks with heavy hammers (THE KLIPOT). The flame moves up and down, and strikes the world. Sounds are heard above and below.
136. A crier then ascends, attaches himself to the air, and proclaims. The air comes from the pillar of cloud of the inner altar, and, when it emerges, it spreads out in all directions, with thousands on its left side and myriads on its right. Then the crier stands firm and proclaims in a strong voice. Many chant songs and render homage. Two doors are open, one on the south FOR THE LIGHT OF CHASSADIM and the other on the north FOR THE LIGHT OF CHOCHMAH.
137. This house, THE NUKVA, ascends and attaches itself TO THE RIGHT AND LEFT SIDES OF ZEIR ANPIN, while hymns are sung and praises offered on high. Then ZEIR ANPIN silently enters and the house is lit up by six lights OF CHASSIDIM THAT ARE CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD AND YESOD, which spread splendor in every direction (CHASSADIM IS INCLUDED IN CHOCHMAH). Rivers flow from it, THE SECRET OF THE ILLUMINATION OF CHOCHMAH INCLUDED IN CHASSADIM, to water the animals of the field, as it is written, "They give drink to every wild beast: the wild donkeys quench their thirst" (Tehilim 104:11). They sing until the day rises. When daylight breaks, the stars, signs, and their followers all begin to sing praises and chants, as it is written, "When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of Elohim shouted for joy" (Iyov 38:7).
138. Come and behold, IT IS WRITTEN, "If Hashem will not build the house, they who build it labor in vain (Tehilim 127:1). Hashem is the Supernal King, ZEIR ANPIN, who is constantly building and perfecting the house. When does He bestow plenty on it? When worship is raised with proper attention, from below.
139. "If Hashem will not keeps the city." When does this happen? This occurs at nightfall, when armed parties FROM THE OTHER SIDE hover and roam the world; when the gates are closed and guarded on all sides. The doors remain shut lest an uncircumcised and unclean person approaches THE SANCTUARY, as it is written, "For henceforth there shall no more come into you the uncircumcised and the unclean" (Yeshayah 52:1). For in the future, the Holy One, blessed be He, will remove them from the face of the earth.
140. HE ASKS, Who are the uncircumcised, and who are the unclean? HE ANSWERS, They are all one, the same one who seduced Adam and his wife. Adam and his wife followed him, THE PRIMORDIAL SERPENT, and brought death to the whole world. He defiles the house, THE NUKVA, until the Holy One, blessed be He, shall remove him from the world, THE NUKVA. Therefore "unless Hashem keeps the city" ASSUREDLY "THE WATCHMAN STAYS AWAKE IN VAIN."