144. Next, it is written, "And Dinah the daughter of Leah went out." This has already been explained by the friends. Come and behold, innumerable grades are divided above. SOME BELONG TO HOLINESS AND OTHERS TO THE OTHER SIDE, AS IT IS WRITTEN, "ELOHIM MADE THE ONE AS WELL AS THE OTHER." (KOHELET 7:14). Each is different from the other, SOME PERTAINING TO CHESED AND SOME TO JUDGMENTS. There are different kinds of animals trying to gain mastery over each other and devour prey, each according to its kind.
145. From the side of the Defiled Spirit many grades divide. All of them harbor enmity TOWARD HOLINESS, the ones against the others, as it is written, "You shall not plow with an ox and a donkey together" (Devarim 22:10), for when they are together, they ruin the world.
146. Come and behold, all that the grades of defilement crave is to damage the holy grades. They all lurk in wait to damage the holy Jacob. First a serpent bit him, as it is written, "he touched the hollow of his thigh," WHICH REFERS TO THE MINISTER OF ESAU WHO RIDES A SERPENT. Then a donkey bit him, THAT IS, SHCHEM THE SON OF CHAMOR (LIT. 'DONKEY), THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE KLIPAH.
147. When THE SERPENT BIT HIM, he himself stood against him. When THAT DONKEY BIT HIM, Simeon and Levi, who come from the side of strict Judgment, fought the donkey, charging on all sides until he surrendered before them, as it is written, "And they slew Chamor and Shchem his son with the edge of the sword" (Beresheet 34:26). Simeon, whose astrological sign was Taurus (ox), GVURAH, AND THE LEFT SIDE OF HOLINESS, attacked Chamor, THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE KLIPAH, and was hostile towards him to prevent THE OX AND DONKEY OF THE KLIPAH from joining. Simeon is his adversary, AND NOT JACOB.
148. They all brought accusations against Jacob, but he was delivered from them, and later, he ruled over them. Then came the ox, JOSEPH, who perfected himself among the donkeys, THE EGYPTIANS HE RULED OVER. They were all of the side of THE KLIPAH OF a donkey. HE EXPLAINED, Joseph is an ox, and the Egyptians are donkeys, of whom the scripture says, "whose flesh is as the flesh of donkeys" (Yechezkel 23:20).
149. Therefore, the sons of Jacob later fell among the donkeys, THE EGYPTIANS, because an ox joined them, JOSEPH, THROUGH WHOM AN OX AND A DONKEY WERE JOINED TOGETHER. And they bit Yisrael's flesh and marrow, AS IT IS THE NATURE OF THE DONKEY TO BITE AND BREAK BONES, until Levi was again aroused to scatter the donkeys, THAT IS, HE SEPARATED THE OX FROM THE DONKEY in order to subdue them. He broke their strength and removed the ox from there, as it is written, "And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him" (Shemot 13:19), MOSES BEING A LEVITE AND JOSEPH THE OX THAT JOINED THEM.
150. Come and behold, on the first occasion, when Simeon came TO FIGHT with Chamor, he brought blood upon them, the blood of circumcision. Then they "slew all the males" (Beresheet 34:25). The Holy One, blessed be He, did the same by the Levite, Moses, to the donkeys, the Egyptians. First He brought upon them THE PLAGUE OF blood, and then, "Hashem slew all the firstborn in the land of Egypt" (Shemot 13:15). Regarding Chamor, THE FATHER OF SHCHEM, it is written, "and all their wealth, and all their little ones" (Beresheet 34:29), and their animals, AS IT IS WRITTEN, "THEIR SHEEP, AND THEIR OXEN, AND THEIR DONKEYS, AND THAT WHICH WAS IN THE CITY AND THAT WHICH WAS IN THE FIELD." Regarding the other donkeys, THE EGYPTIANS, it is written, "Jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and garments" (Shemot 12:35), WHICH CORRESPONDS TO THE WEALTH HERE. It is also written, "And a mixed multitude went up also with them" (Ibid. 38), WHICH CORRESPONDS TO THE "LITTLE ONES" MENTIONED, the "flocks and herds" (Ibid.) THAT CORRESPOND TO, "THEIR SHEEP AND THEIR OXEN."
151. Simeon rose against Chamor ('ass'), THE FATHER OF SHCHEM, WHO WAS NOT JOINED WITH AN OX. Levi rose against all the donkeys, EVEN THOSE JOINED WITH AN OX, LIKE THE EGYPTIANS. They all came to join Jacob and prepared to bite him, but he withstood and subdued them through his sons.
152. HE ASKS, Now, IN THE LAST EXILE, that Esau is biting him and his sons, who shall rise against him? HE REPLIES, Jacob and Joseph WILL RISE AGAINST HIM, the one on this side and the other on that side, JACOB ON THE RIGHT AND JOSEPH ON THE LEFT, as it is written, "And the house of Jacob shall be fire, and the house of Joseph flame, and the house of Esau for stubble" (Ovadyah 1:18).
153. "And the terror of Elohim was upon the cities that were round about them, and they did not pursue after the sons of Jacob" (Beresheet 35:5). Rabbi Yosi said, They all gathered to fight them, but while they were girding their weapons, they took fright and dropped them. Therefore, they did not chase the sons of Jacob.