128. "And Elohim made the two great lights" (Beresheet 1:16). The sun is one and the moon is the other. Because of this, the lights that ascend are called the luminaries of the light whereas those that descend are called luminaries of the fire. These LUMINARIES OF THE FIRE are the lower grades and rule over all the weekdays. Because of this, a blessing is recited over the candle when Shabbat ends because, at that point, THE LUMINARIES OF THE FIRE are given permission to rule again.
129. The fingers of man represent the most hidden of all grades and secrets of the supernal world, and are divided into front and back. The back of the fingers represents the external part, an allusion to the fingernails. As such, man may look at his fingernails as Shabbat ends. As they shine by the candlelight and are bright from that fire, that rules OVER THE DAYS OF THE WEEK.
130. THE FINGERNAILS are visible, but it is not permissible to see the inner part of the fingers by this candlelight, because they shine only from above. And THE INNER PART OF THE FINGERS is called the inner face. This is the secret of the verse: "And you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen" (Shemot 33:23), which means that a person should not look at the inside of his fingers at the end of Shabbat, as he recites the blessing: 'Creator of the luminaries of the fire (Heb. bore me'orei ha'esh)'. The phrase: "And you shall see My back" refers to the external part OF THE FINGERS, which is hinted at in the fingernails AND SHINES AS SHABBAT ENDS. "But My face shall not be seen" refers to the inside of the fingers, WHICH CANNOT RECEIVE FROM THE LUMINARIES OF THE FIRE. THE INTERNAL PART OF THE FINGERS rules on Shabbat. THE EXTERNAL PART OF THE FINGERS rules during the weekdays.
131. On Shabbat day, the Holy One, blessed be He, rules alone over this inner face, sitting upon his Throne of Glory. All are included within him, and the dominion is his. This is why THE HOLY ONE, BLESSED BE HE, transmits calmness to all the worlds, and the holy nation, which is called the one nation on earth, receives the inheritance of this day. The luminaries of the light ORIGINATE FROM the side of the right, which is the primal light that was on the first day OF THE SEVEN DAYS OF CREATION. THIS ALLUDES TO THE LIGHT THAT IS MENTIONED IN THE VERSE: "LET THERE BE LIGHT." On the day of Shabbat, the luminaries of the light shine alone and govern, illuminating all THE WORLDS below ATZILUT.
132. When Shabbat is over, the luminaries of the light are hidden and the luminaries of the fire govern THE WORLDS, WITH each and everyone in its place. THAT IS, THE LUMINARIES OF LIGHT RULE DURING SHABBAT AND THE LUMINARIES OF FIRE DURING WEEKDAYS. HE ASKS: When do they rule? HE REPLIED, From the end of Shabbat until Shabbat eve. Thus, it is necessary to receive light from that candle, as Shabbat ends.
133. The verse: "And the living creatures ran and returned" (Yechezkel 1:1 4) MEANS THAT the eye is not able to observe the revealed living creatures as they run to and fro. THIS REFERS TO THE LOWER LIVING CREATURES, OF WHICH IT IS WRITTEN: "AND YOU SHALL SEE MY BACK." This is because the wheel (Heb. ofan) that is stationed in their midst is Metatron, who is far greater and more important than the rest of THE LIVING CREATURES. HE IS higher than they by 500 parasangs.
134. The concealed living creatures are hidden beneath the upper concealed letters, Yud-Hei OF THE NAME YUD HEI VAV HEI, which govern Vav-Hei OF THE NAME YUD HEI VAV HEI. The ones are a Chariot for the others; THAT IS, THE LETTERS VAV-HEI ARE A CHARIOT FOR THE LETTERS YUD-HEI. THIS MEANS THAT THEY REVEAL THEIR ILLUMINATION AS A RIDER IS SEEN IN HIS CHARIOT. AS A RESULT, BY REVEALING THEIR ILLUMINATION, THE LOWER LIVING CREATURES ARE A CHARIOT FOR THE UPPER LIVING CREATURES. And that which is most concealed, which is completely unknown, IS THE SECRET OF THE ENDLESSNESS LIGHT, WHICH IS HINTED AT BY THE TIP OF THE LETTER YUD OF THE NAME YUD HEI VAV HEI. It controls everything and rides upon them all, WHICH MEANS THAT ALL THE GRADES MANIFEST ITS DOMINION OVER THE WORLDS. The living creatures, which are revealed, are down below the upper and concealed living creatures. Their illumination comes from them, and they travel according to them. IN OTHER WORDS, THE LOWER LIVING CREATURES HAVE NO MOTIVATION OF THEIR OWN, EXCEPT FOR WHAT THEY RECEIVE FROM THE UPPER LIVING CREATURES.
135. The upper living creatures, WHO ARE CONCEALED, are all included in the "firmament of heaven" as it is written of them: "Let there be luminaries in the firmament of heaven" (Beresheet 1:14). The verse: "And let there be for luminaries in the firmament of heaven" INFORMS US that all THE LIGHTS are suspended from that "firmament of heaven." That is the firmament above the living creatures, about which it is written: "And over the heads of the living creatures there was the likeness of a firmament, as the color of the terrible ice" (Yechezkel 1:22). This is the primal FIRMAMENT.
136. From this point upward, ABOVE THE PRIMAL FIRMAMENT, no person can comprehend or grasp any thoughts because they are concealed within THE SECRET OF Thought. The thought of the Holy One, blessed be He, is hidden and concealed above; nobody can conceive and understand man's thought. Even more true is that nobody can understand anything originating in supernal Thought. The actual Thought itself is all the more BEYOND ANY PERSON'S ABILITY TO GRASP. More inner than thought - WHICH IS BINAH - who may form any idea OF SUCH A CONCEPT? There is no understanding at all; not enough to even ask a question, not to mention comprehending the answer.